Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Athens or Barcelona and Madrid?

Old Dec 28, 18, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum

If you had a week, which would you select? What are the pros and cons of each? Why should I consider each?
Old Dec 28, 18, 2:55 pm

Having been born and raised in Athens and visited the other two cities a total of ~10-15 times, I'd say the best is to visit all three of them. Each one has different things to often. Perhaps the only minus point of Madrid is the lack of the sea and the plus of Athens is its ancient sites, but just decide to eventually go to all three of them: absolutely great places!
dddc likes this.
Old Dec 28, 18, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Having been born and raised in Athens and visited the other two cities a total of ~10-15 times, I'd say the best is to visit all three of them. Each one has different things to often. Perhaps the only minus point of Madrid is the lack of the sea and the plus of Athens is its ancient sites, but just decide to eventually go to all three of them: absolutely great places!
I'll do all of them eventually, but the question is which do I do first.
Old Dec 28, 18, 9:35 pm

This may sound as a stupid piece of advice, i.e. cheapest flight (or the most convenient one?) but I think that anything else I'd suggest would be based on my very personal likings to be really objective. For example, you could combine Athens with one-day tours to places such as Delphi, Olympia, Nafplio/Mycaene and even a close-by island (e.g. Aegina or Poros) but you could equally well go to Toledo when visiting Madrid or to, say, Andora from Barcelona. Granted, as a city per se the latter is much more esthetically pleasing than the other two. Museums in both Athens and Madrid are absolutely amazing but you may prefer the paintings in the Prado more than the antiquities in the Acropolis Museum. Your choice is basically like that between apples, oranges and peaches, which can't be solved by tossing a coin. Sorry if instead of helping I make your decision more difficult.
Old Dec 29, 18, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This may sound as a stupid piece of advice, i.e. cheapest flight (or the most convenient one?) but I think that anything else I'd suggest would be based on my very personal likings to be really objective. For example, you could combine Athens with one-day tours to places such as Delphi, Olympia, Nafplio/Mycaene and even a close-by island (e.g. Aegina or Poros) but you could equally well go to Toledo when visiting Madrid or to, say, Andora from Barcelona. Granted, as a city per se the latter is much more esthetically pleasing than the other two. Museums in both Athens and Madrid are absolutely amazing but you may prefer the paintings in the Prado more than the antiquities in the Acropolis Museum. Your choice is basically like that between apples, oranges and peaches, which can't be solved by tossing a coin. Sorry if instead of helping I make your decision more difficult.
I think we're looking at Barcelona and Madrid first. Probably the better option.
Old Dec 29, 18, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I think we're looking at Barcelona and Madrid first. Probably the better option.
Two for the price of one (well, sort of ): a wise choice I did not think of!
Old Dec 29, 18, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Much of the appeal of Madrid and Barcelona is just enjoying the life of the city. While there is a ton to do, the best part of both of those cities is just strolling around, sitting in plazas or parks, having a tapas or two.
Old Dec 29, 18, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didnít find Madrid very appealing.
Old Dec 30, 18, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Two for the price of one (well, sort of ): a wise choice I did not think of!
What we're looking at doing includes flights from the US to Madrid, hotels in Madrid, flights to Barcelona, hotels in Barcelona, then flights home.
Old Feb 13, 19, 12:52 am

Madrid and Barcelona have a huge cultural offer. So if you want to visit museums, go to the theatre or enjoy a great meal, then if I were you, I would choose Spain instead of Greece. It's true that Athens offers amazing places and museums full of history but what I found interesting about these Spanish cities is that they are full of life. You will find interesting things in every corner (at least in my opinion). And the weather is fantastic.
Old Feb 13, 19, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SofiaSanz View Post
Madrid and Barcelona have a huge cultural offer. So if you want to visit museums, go to the theatre or enjoy a great meal, then if I were you, I would choose Spain instead of Greece. It's true that Athens offers amazing places and museums full of history but what I found interesting about these Spanish cities is that they are full of life. You will find interesting things in every corner (at least in my opinion). And the weather is fantastic.
I'm far more into history, so museums full of history attracts me.
Old Feb 13, 19, 7:13 am

In that case, Athens is a good option for you
Old Feb 13, 19, 7:18 am

@SofiaSanz: I do agree with you that both Barcelona and Madrid are full of life and that the weather is fantastic. Having said that, please do give me the example of a Greek city which is not full of life and where the weather is not fantastic.
dddc likes this.
Old Feb 13, 19, 7:22 am

@KLouis, that's true too. But based on my experience, when I visited Greece I didn't find people that open minded you know. In Spain, I remember that people were so cheerful. But of course, in Greece, we found nice people too. But idk, Spanish people really caught my attention. Of course, that's just my personal point of view and opinion
Old Feb 13, 19, 7:27 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Easy choice, Madrid and Barcelona

Search this Thread