FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Blindekuh Zurich - how long is the dinner? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1945417-blindekuh-zurich-how-long-dinner.html)

herzmeh Dec 12, 2018 10:13 am

Blindekuh Zurich - how long is the dinner?

After a slight change of plans, we have a long layover in Zurich. Blindekuh looks like an interesting place to have a dinner. Problem is that they open at 1800 on Sundays and we have a flight to LHR departing at 2055. How long does the dinner there last? We're looking at the set menu... Enough time to make it back to the airport? Any other suggestions for dinner?

dulciusexasperis Dec 12, 2018 10:54 am

No, you will not have enough time and I would venture to say, you would miss the whole point of the experience.

Really, with an 2055 flight time, that really doesn't fit in with enjoying a dinner at all. Even with carry-on only and a boarding pass in hand, you can't expect to get to the airport at 8pm for a 8.55 pm flight to the UK from Zurich. You should expect to get to the airport for say 7.30 to not feel rushed. That's the same time at which most people would want a dinner reservation at the earliest.

OK, you're willing to eat earlier, I get that but do you really want to be sitting in a nice restaurant looking at your watch every 5 minutes rather than relaxing and not felling rushed?

You say a long layover and 'get back to the airport'. Does that mean you are flying in to Zurich and out on the same day, enroute home from somewhere else? If so, at what time will you arrive in Zurich airport? In other words, how many hours will you really have to work with? It may make sense to simply stay in the airport or exit from transit to the mall in the airport.

If you do have enough time to go into the city then I could suggest heading to the Hotel Adler in the old town and their Swiss Chuchi restaurant. It is the first fondue restaurant that opened in Zurich and as remained popular with locals ever since. It's about a 5 minute walk from the main train station. https://www.hotel-adler.ch/index.php/en/81-restaurant
What's more, they even offer a '30 minute special' for those in a real hurry.

herzmeh Dec 12, 2018 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis (Post 30527799)
Really, with an 2055 flight time, that really doesn't fit in with enjoying a dinner at all. Even with carry-on only and a boarding pass in hand, you can't expect to get to the airport at 8pm for a 8.55 pm flight to the UK from Zurich. You should expect to get to the airport for say 7.30 to not feel rushed. That's the same time at which most people would want a dinner reservation at the earliest.

Even in J with no bags?

OK, you're willing to eat earlier, I get that but do you really want to be sitting in a nice restaurant looking at your watch every 5 minutes rather than relaxing and not felling rushed?
No, not really.

Does that mean you are flying in to Zurich and out on the same day, enroute home from somewhere else? If so, at what time will you arrive in Zurich airport?
Around noon, so roughly 9 hours.

KLouis Dec 12, 2018 5:16 pm

If you arrive at ZRH around noon, why don't you have an elaborate and relaxed lunch in town instead of a hurried dinner? ;)

shuigao Dec 12, 2018 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis (Post 30527799)

As the restaurant OP mentioned is a dining-in-the-dark experience, (s)he wouldn't be able to see his/her watch anyway :P

:D! Dec 13, 2018 9:21 am

You could make if you have phone BPs ready, and a taxi booked for you at 1915. Given the nature of this restaurant, I expect meals tend to last a bit longer than 75 minutes...

I have made a flight where I departed Zurich HB on a train 55 minutes before the flight's scheduled departure but I don't wish to repeat this experience.

dulciusexasperis Dec 14, 2018 11:34 am

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 30529123)
If you arrive at ZRH around noon, why don't you have an elaborate and relaxed lunch in town instead of a hurried dinner? ;)

I agree with that idea completely. You have plenty of time to go into the city, but your departure time just doesn't work with enjoying a leisurely dinner unless you are happy eating dinner at 5 pm. That of course is up to you herzmeh.

Have you been to Zurich before herzmeh? My wife's favourite place for lunch there is Cafe Sprungli. Anyone who knows anything about Swiss chocolate will know why.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cafe...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Another favourite is in the old town at Neumarkt Square. The restaurant Kantorei is right at the fountain. The reason it is one of our favourites is from our first visit when we sat at a table outside, right beside the fountain. If you look at the first photo on this link: My Favourite Spots in Zurich: The Squares of Neumarkt and Spiegelgasse-Napfgasse | Travel and Lifestyle Diaries - Career Woman Travelling Around the World we were seated where in the photo there is a woman in a black sleeveless dress sitting to the right in the photo.

When our waitress asked if my wife wanted water, my wife said, 'yes, just tap water please'. The waitress said, 'yes, of course.' Then picked up my wife's water glass from our table and simply reached back and filled it from the fountain. I'm sure the waitress had done this many times as a way to amuse visitors. It's amazing how a simple glass of water could become such a lasting memory.