Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Good restaurant / nice town near ATH airport?

Old Nov 28, 18, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)

Greetings A3 flyers, hoping for some help.

I'm a newly minted A3 gold and will be doing my annual 4 sector run this Christmas period to Jordan and Israel. On the way back, we have a long layover at ATH airport (6hrs) from 0740 to 1340. My wife has never been to Greece so I wondered if there was anywhere in reasonable distance to ATH airport where we could visit for a coffee/brunch/walk. A nice village or somewhere by the coast maybe? I think Athens downtown may be a bit too far with only 6 hours connection.

Any suggestions? What do you do on long layovers?
Old Nov 28, 18, 6:19 pm

Porto Rafti isn't that far and Varkiza as well (both best reached by taxi), but at this time of day no way you can have lunch, you'll have to satisfy yourself with coffee or a freshly presses orange juice. Careful: getting there is easy, for the way back you should call for a cab as both places (especially Porto Rafti) are not exactly dead but commatose during that period of the year. Still, your idea is good, I've done it myself a couple of times...
Old Nov 29, 18, 5:20 am

Varkiza its quite far and taxi quite expensive. You can get to lavrio port with frequent bus routes from airport, 40 minutes,, 5 euros per passenger estimated. Taxi estimated 30-40. There u can have nice food just behind the fresh fish market. If have some time u can take taxi to Poseidon Temple at Sounio, 15 minutes from lavrio The Temple is built on the rock cliff facing the aegean sea.
You can also take MRT just cross the airport exit to Syntagma Square, 40 minutes for pics and plenty food/drink choices.
​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old Nov 29, 18, 8:04 pm

@MixalisK.: Please be a little more careful with the advice given! Varkiza is 20.1 km from the airport, Lavrio is 37.2 km and Sounio is 45.7 km away. OP was asking for a town near the airport! As for Athens proper, you may not be aware, but when taking the train to Athens you now have to change at Doukissis Plakentias adding about 5-10 minutes to the trip.
Old Nov 30, 18, 5:08 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
but when taking the train to Athens you now have to change at Doukissis Plakentias adding about 5-10 minutes to the trip.
This was reverted and you can now reach Athens again without a change (source)

Last edited by MrArkadin; Nov 30, 18 at 6:43 am
Old Nov 30, 18, 12:17 pm

@MixalisK.: Please be a little more careful with the advice given! Varkiza is 20.1 km from the airport, Lavrio is 37.2 km and Sounio is 45.7 km away. OP was asking for a town near the airport! As for Athens proper, you may not be aware, but when taking the train to Athens you now have to change at Doukissis Plakentias adding about 5-10 minutes to the trip.
Lavrio is just straight down the Lavrio avenue, i ve been doing this route for 10 years on summers, every weekend. Buses are running every 30 minutes from lavrio to airport, with 5 minutes quick change at koropi. On winter i dont know but they have informative site to check. Ofcourse arrival must be on time.
​​​​​
Old Dec 18, 18, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your replies, this is really great! I will check out the weather on 2nd Jan and then decide which is best. Looks like lots of great options - I had a really good time in downtown Athens when I had an overbooking stay courtesy of Aegean. I ruled this out due to the 37 EUR each way in a taxi but if there is a train this could be great. Otherwise one of the villages would be great!

Thanks again!

Porto Rafti isn't that far and Varkiza as well (both best reached by taxi), but at this time of day no way you can have lunch, you'll have to satisfy yourself with coffee or a freshly presses orange juice. Careful: getting there is easy, for the way back you should call for a cab as both places (especially Porto Rafti) are not exactly dead but commatose during that period of the year. Still, your idea is good, I've done it myself a couple of times...
Originally Posted by MixalisK. View Post
Varkiza its quite far and taxi quite expensive. You can get to lavrio port with frequent bus routes from airport, 40 minutes,, 5 euros per passenger estimated. Taxi estimated 30-40. There u can have nice food just behind the fresh fish market. If have some time u can take taxi to Poseidon Temple at Sounio, 15 minutes from lavrio The Temple is built on the rock cliff facing the aegean sea.
You can also take MRT just cross the airport exit to Syntagma Square, 40 minutes for pics and plenty food/drink choices.
​​​​​
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by MrArkadin View Post
This was reverted and you can now reach Athens again without a change (source)
Old Feb 9, 19, 3:17 am
Original Poster

A quick follow up on this one, in case anybody needs to do the same.

We took the subway/metro to Athens center. The Airport metro station is located directly outside the terminal building through the raised covered walkway, maybe 5-6 minutes once you are in the arrival hall. There are ticket machines and ticket desks and the current day return is 18 EUR. The website says 14 but this is out of date per Jan 2019. The metro schedule runs every 30 minutes and is direct on the blue line (3) - there is no need to change trains. It takes about 45 minutes to Syntagma or Monastiraki stations right in the historic center.

We had a lovely walk around the Acropolis and the weather was kind, if cold. Super brunch in Yiasemi. Highly recommended if you have a 5-6 hour stop over. The only inconvenience is that the metro only runs every 30 minutes.
SK likes this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by OttoMH View Post
...{snip}...The only inconvenience is that the metro only runs every 30 minutes.
One can also take the bus to/from Syntagma square, that runs much more often than the train, is much cheaper and usually takes less than one hour. I underlines "usually" because you can count with ~30 minutes longer during rush hour... You can find the ATH-Syntagma schedule here.
OttoMH likes this.

Search this Thread