Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Why are European shower doors only halved?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

WHY??

Glass rationing? For the last two days probably 4l of water hit the floor.

Absurd.
keisari, Gerbs, König and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've often wondered the same thing, it just makes no sense to me. Make it full length, have a door, whatever. And it's not even an era of time thing. I stayed at a relatively brand new Marriott in Amsterdam earlier this week. Same stupid half shower door.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What are you talking about? Horizontal or vertical?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:26 am

Agreed ridiculous
now I just get extra towels and put them on floor to soak up the water

Maybe the extra cost even minor might get their attention and start thinking about sliding full doors

Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: Presidential Airways High Value Target, Catfish Air Flare, Hootch Honors Gold
I agree with all the above, though I think the answer is that they are easier to clean. Some will pivot out from the tub like a door, and even those that don't can still be wiped down easier. I also think this is the brainchild of a dumb interior decorator who liked the looklin in one particular setting where you had a large open shower and drains everywhere and it just caught on because monkey see monkey do. In my home we ended up hanging a shower curtain on a spring rod to defeat this silliness and not step out into a slippery lake of bath water every day.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My parents have had a half glass door on their shower / bath combo for years - I always assumed it was to make having a bath more pleasant and less claustrophobic, and more sanitary than a shower curtain. I have never, in the hundreds of showers I have taken there, flooded the floor. Perhaps it is not an equipment failure...
Grog, KLouis, LOSTINHNL and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I am at a Residence Inn in NE Ohio right now. My room has a great walk in shower with the knob placed so you can turn on the shower without getting wet. But it only has a half glass door. So you walk in and turn left for water. Some water gets out.

I know european bathrooms are built to handle the water spill. Most have drains in the floor. But not American bathrooms.

In europe, I’ve learned to not worry about it too much.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Same was true when we were in Australia. And even a newish hotel in Melbourne had the silly half-wall. The floor got flooded whenever you showered.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: *G
People do favor this design because they think it looks modern.

I also think they shower using the wand, rather than with a fixed showerhead with high pressure
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:18 am

The text that goes along with this product ad states "frameless design provides modern appeal".
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I am at a Residence Inn in NE Ohio right now. My room has a great walk in shower with the knob placed so you can turn on the shower without getting wet. But it only has a half glass door. So you walk in and turn left for water. Some water gets out.

I know european bathrooms are built to handle the water spill. Most have drains in the floor. But not American bathrooms.

In europe, I’ve learned to not worry about it too much.
I think that depends where in Europe - in the UK, many bathrooms are carpeted (I think because of poor heating, and no one likes a freezing bathroom!) and I have never seen a home with a drain in the bathroom floor there.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by muji

The text that goes along with this product ad states "frameless design provides modern appeal".
Plus, that's a rainshower head sending the water down vertically, vs. a traditional showerhead that shoots water out towards the back of the space. Less chance of overspill with a rainshower design.
ian_btv, ChinaShrek and rickg523 like this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by emma69
I think that depends where in Europe - in the UK, many bathrooms are carpeted (I think because of poor heating, and no one likes a freezing bathroom!) and I have never seen a home with a drain in the bathroom floor there.
Yes. A carpeted bathroom is just disgusting.
Redhead and MimiB22 like this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes. A carpeted bathroom is just disgusting.
The house my family moved to when I was 13 had wall to wall (fitted) carpeting in the downstairs guest loo, as well as in the kitchen.

I'm still not exactly sure what you folks mean by a "half" shower though?

​​​
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
For once I agree w/ Ian. I hate the 1/2 shower doors because of all the water that splashes on the floor, which makes it more dangerous when stepping out unless one has covered the floor w/ towels first.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.