Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam DIY Zaanse Schans Windmills and more

Old Nov 20, 18, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Going to Amsterdam and want to see a real working windmill? I was disappointed when I was there for a day and learned all the morning tours for the next day were booked. I figured for an organized tour with transportation, translation, and help with food it was worth the 70-80 euros per person. I figured instead I would just walk around town the next morning and see what the city offered versus making the trip outside of downtown to Zaanse Schans.

Since I was staying next to Amsterdam Central Station and where the cruise ships parked, I knew public transportation had to offer some options. I did some quick research and learned I could take a public bus directly to Zaanse Schans for 10 euros round trip with buses running every 15 minutes. Amsterdam Central Station is a just an easy 10 walk from the cruise ships or trolleys could get your there in a few minutes. Once at Central station, a train was also an option and slightly faster but required a 15 minute walk from the station to Zaanse Schans versus the bus which dropped you just a couple minutes away. So the overall duration was the same but walk or ride was the choice which you should consider local weather conditions also.

TIP - Highly recommend arriving if possible just prior to 9am. All the tour buses (hundreds if not thousands of folks) start arriving around 915-930am. We arrived at 845 and had a great experience with the place being empty and even help local folks open and start a wind mill before it opened to the public (see video). Certainly an unforgettable experience.

While Windmills have a per person admission fee (around 5 euros) all other sites like the local cheese factory and wooden shoe museum/factory and demo were free. We were sitting next to folks in organized tours from downtown and cruise ships during the wooden shoe demo that likely paid 80 euros per person compared to our 10 euros (per adult and children 1 euro). In addition we could go at our own pace and set our own agenda.

The public bus ride back was great and nonstop (around 25 minutes). The bus trip going made a couple of stops but no changes were required so transit time going was about 35 minutes. You can buy your fare at the main station prior to leaving however child fares must be purchased when boarding.

Highly recommend seeing Zaanse Schans and DIY! Save money and time and have more flexibility. Check out the video of what Zaanse Schans offers. See Holland outside of the city and still have some time to walk around Amsterdam.

Old Nov 21, 18, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
I did this last year but got the train rather than the bus. A few other people had the same idea as well and as part of the walk from the station to the windmills was past a chocolate factory it was a nice welcome! Walk took about 10-15 minutes.

I did my trip on a Saturday and arrived about lunchtime and it was early spring, There were no tourist buses whether that was because of the time of year or they had been and gone I don't know.

Many of the paid for attractions there are free with the I Amsterdam card and I believe there is also a local discount pass on sale at the museum (also worth a quick visit)

I went in one of the windmills - ? The Cat - going upstairs was fine but the ladder (I won't call them steps) going back down was very steep! I'm not good on ladders!
Old Nov 21, 18, 4:19 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Went there summer before last. It's a bit of a theme park - lots of tour buses, and the windmills mostly aren't originally from there. However, it's very well done - you can't argue with the panorama of the river, the exhibits (especially the history of Albert Heijn) are interesting, and the nearby town of Zaandijk has some nice places to eat and drink. We drove there (we'd driven to the Netherlands as we had a very small person with us) and it was easy enough. Another option is to cycle there from Amsterdam - particularly with the new metro line taking you to the Northern edge of the city. I'd always recommend cycling in the Netherlands

The surroundings are a little industrial in parts, but then I suppose that's to be expected - windmills were part of the original industry in this neck of the woods.
Old Nov 23, 18, 3:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA-1P AB-Gold SPG-Plat Hilton-DIA Hyatt-DIA PC-Gold MR-Plat Hertz-PC
You do realise the whole of the Zaanse Schans is just a Tourist trap? The windmils were transported and re-build there in the 60-70's to preserve and act like a museum.
There are sooo many windmills in Netherlands, why not just visit a "real" working one? I guess the Zaanse Schans does make for good pictures if you can escape the 2 million tourists that visit there a year.

All the stores are tourist stores, and there is nothing local about the "local Dutch cheese shop". A real Dutch cheese store does not only have the plastic wrapped small cheeses.
And no-one would buy "cow cheese" what even is that? Most of our cheeses are from cow milk, but they would be labeled as jong, belegen, oud, boeren kaas etc. etc.

Search this Thread