Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Amira Istanbul

Hotel Amira Istanbul

Old Nov 12, 18, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Hotel Amira Istanbul

Lots of positive reviews for this place on tripadvisor, any thoughts on the neighborhood?
Old Nov 12, 18, 4:14 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
I think I may have had tea on this hotel's rooftop some years ago. Beautiful view if you are visiting in season. The location is OK if you're mainly interested in visiting the historical sites of the old city, such as the Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque. However, it's quite far from the areas of the city where you'll find upscale dining and more contemporary cultural attractions. If memory serves, the Sultanahmet district gets pretty sleepy after 9pm or so with the exception of a few backpacker bars. The area is pretty safe and there are many tourists and English speakers in the immediate area, but if you go beyond that you could encounter some rougher neighborhoods. Also be forewarned that public transportation to other neighborhoods is somewhat painful from that part of town - the only real option is walking uphill to an uncomfortably crowded tram line - and taxi scams seem to be particularly common on trips originating in the neighborhood...

I'm not trying to be negative on the hotel or the location. I think it's a great choice if you are mainly interested in the historical sites, and the relatively high presence of Turkish police (and low incidence of protests) may be seen as a plus. However, if you're planning a longer visit and like places with more contemporary nightlife, I'd also consider staying in Kadikoy or Beyoglu.
Old Nov 12, 18, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the context.

Our goal is mostly the historic sights on this visit ... and meet up with friends for dinner before heading back to the hotel.
Old Nov 27, 18, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Update:

The hotel and the neighborhood were great. Easy walk to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and the Basilica Cistern (all of which happened to be near the tram line as well, so getting anywhere else was pretty easy).

Search this Thread