Wiki Posts
Search

One day in Cyprus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, OWS
One day in Cyprus

During a MR I’ve got one day in Cyprus later on this month (arriving Friday evening, departing early in the morning on Sunday).

Current planning is getting a hotel close to LCA airport and spending the day exploring a bit. Any recommendations for things to do and a place to stay?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AY Plat
I would recommend staying in the city center, close to the promenade. All areas around the airport will be dead this time of the year and the city center is close to the airport anyway. You can then either take a city bus from the promenade or a taxi (depending on the time of the day you need to get to the airport)

Place to stay: I can recommend the Achilleos City Hotel, it is simple but clean and is very conveniently located.

Things to see: St Lazaras church, the castle, Hala Sultan Tekke mosque (3rd or 4th holiest mosque in the world, you need to take a taxi there), enjoy some quality time at a seaside cafe, weather permitting. I also recommend visiting the farmers market on Saturday morning, even if you don't need to buy anything.

Dinner: Art Cafe 1900 - in my opinion, the best restaurant on the island. The dinner room is upstairs, the bar with 100+ whiskies and 100+ beers is downstairs

Last edited by VitaliU; Nov 13, 2018 at 8:50 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, OWS
Originally Posted by VitaliU
I would recommend staying in the city center, close to the promenade. All areas around the airport will be dead this time of the year and the city center is close to the airport anyway. You can then either take a city bus from the promenade or a taxi (depending on the time of the day you need to get to the airport)

Place to stay: I can recommend the Achilleos City Hotel, it is simple but clean and is very conveniently located.

Things to see: St Lazaras church, the castle, Hala Sultan Tekke mosque (3rd or 4th holiest mosque in the world, you need to take a taxi there), enjoy some quality time at a seaside cafe, weather permitting. I also recommend visiting the farmers market on Saturday morning, even if you don't need to buy anything.

Dinner: Art Cafe 1900 - in my opinion, the best restaurant on the island. The dinner room is upstairs, the bar with 100+ whiskies and 100+ beers is downstairs
Thank you for the recommendations! I've definitely got to check out that bar and probably some of the sights as well J

Since water temps are currently above average I’m hoping it will be warm enough for a quick dip in the sea and some sun on the beach – in case of adverse weather or cold sea I’d be sightseeing the whole day.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: *G
For me coming from a landlocked, neighboring country to you, the pleasure of cyprus is eating seafood. Really like Pyxida although it is in Nicosia and not LCA
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:34 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Although the daytime temps are about 25 C and sunny right now, it is too cold for me to go in the sea. If you are hardy, you can go swimming - I know people who swim here year round.

Art Cafe 1900 is nice and a bit different and has great atmosphere, though not what I would recommend to a first-time visitor. I would suggest a Cypriot taverna - maybe Militizis in Piale Pasha - where you can try traditional Cypriot food.

If you go to Hala Sultan Tekke mosque spend some time walking around the Salt Lake. We've had some rain so the seasonal lake is filling now and the flamingos have returned for the winter.

Keep in mind that most shops close at 2pm on Saturdays. They stay open longer during December (for Christmas).
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nicosia isn't that far away, have you considered going there?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:15 pm

EDITED as I should look at a map prior to asking a question...

I am doing a RTW in late January/early February. Cyprus has reasonably warm weather, so I thought I'd stop for at least 24 hours, if not a bit longer. In terms of basic sightseeing, any prioritization of Larnaca vs. Paphos vs. Nicosia. Any hints about ECN vs. LCA as it looks like I'd be able to access Nicosia fairly easily from either airport, although not clear about customs/visas (US citizen) via ECN. Thanks!

Last edited by lamphs; Nov 23, 2018 at 1:31 pm
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:49 am

Flying into the Turkish controlled airport you are breaking the law and may have issues with entering the South, especially since you are not traveling on an EU passport.
Paphos area is nice and is likely to be a couple of degrees warmer than the rest of the island but there are few things to do there during a short visit in January-February. Nicosia is the largest city with quite a bit of history and easy (and legal) access to the North. Larnaca is a pleasant seaside town that is not 100% tourism dependent, which means it doesn’t shut down completely during the low season.

if I were you, I’d stay in Larnaca and visit Nicosia for a day. There are regular buses leaving from the promenade that will take you to the center of Nicosia. You can spend a couple of hours in the southern part of the city, go to the North for a couple of hours (bring your passport) and be back to Larnaca in time for dinner
STBCypriot likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:26 pm

Flying into the Turkish controlled airport you are breaking the law and may have issues with entering the South, especially since you are not traveling on an EU passport.
Paphos area is nice and is likely to be a couple of degrees warmer than the rest of the island but there are few things to do there during a short visit in January-February. Nicosia is the largest city with quite a bit of history and easy (and legal) access to the North. Larnaca is a pleasant seaside town that is not 100% tourism dependent, which means it doesn’t shut down completely during the low season.

if I were you, I’d stay in Larnaca and visit Nicosia for a day. There are regular buses leaving from the promenade that will take you to the center of Nicosia. You can spend a couple of hours in the southern part of the city, go to the North for a couple of hours (bring your passport) and be back to Larnaca in time for dinner
Thanks for this very useful information!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA/AA
That's a load of bovine scatology. I travel on a US passport, and have entered the Republic of Cyprus via the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus at least a dozen times with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

I've never fully understood the politics behind the disinformation campaign about crossing the UN buffer zone in Cyprus....but it's sweeping and comprehensive.

As an aside, if the OP is flying into ECN (Ercan Airport)...........by far the most interesting destination is the old Venetian city/harbor of Kyrenia (Girne). Additionally, there's the ancient Kyrenia Castle/dungeon and the Shipwreck Museum,, with the remains of a shipwreck from the 3rd century BC

Last edited by jaymar01; Nov 25, 2018 at 11:16 pm
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by jaymar01
That's a load of bovine scatology. I travel on a US passport, and have entered the Republic of Cyprus via the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus at least a dozen times with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

I've never fully understood the politics behind the disinformation campaign about crossing the UN buffer zone in Cyprus....but it's sweeping and comprehensive.
I am very happy for you and your knowledge of bovine physiology. However, it seems you have little understanding of the laws of Cyprus. The issue is not crossing the green line, that is perfectly legal. Entering Cyprus (or any other country for that matter) through an illegal port of entry is ...well, illegal. There are only two airports on the island that are legal points of entry - Larnaca and Paphos. While Cyprus does not have resources to detain everyone flying into ECN and then being stupid enough crossing into the South, it remains illegal and sometimes people are made an example of for doing it. I guess it is just a question of how comfortable one is with breaking laws.

US State Department:
Since 1974, the southern part of Cyprus has been under the control of the government of the Republic of Cyprus. The northern part of Cyprus, administered by Turkish Cypriots, proclaimed itself the “Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus” (“TRNC”) in 1983. The United States does not recognize the “TRNC,” nor does any country other than Turkey. A buffer zone patrolled by the UN Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP), separates the two sides. For U.S. citizen travelers:
  • Enter and exit the Republic of Cyprus ONLY at Larnaca and Paphos airports and at the seaports of Limassol, Larnaca, and Paphos. The Republic of Cyprus does not consider entry at Ercan Airport in the north to be a “legal” entrance into Cyprus.
Cyprus Embassy:
Travelers arriving in the Republic of Cyprus may enter the Republic only through the legal ports of entry: Larnaka and Pafos International Airports, or the ports of Larnaka, Lemesos (Limassol), and Pafos.

All airports in the part of the Republic illegally occupied by the Turkish invasion forces, have been declared by the Government of Cyprus as prohibited ports of entry and exit, and no visitor should enter or leave the Republic through these ports.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Partake in a mezze meal at a restaurant off the tourist track. You can find them easily, just wander the streets.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:34 pm

@cilantrosanchez: Welcome to FT, and here's a piece of advice. When answering a post check the date. In this case you answered "only" 6-7 months after the OP asked his original question. Most probably (s)he's already home
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:02 am

Nissi Beach - A Pleasant Feel

Visit Nissi Beach located in Ayanapa gives you peasant feel. Sandy beach with high winds makes you feel high and a good memorial moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.