Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get to and from Corfu by car and ferry

Old Nov 5, 18, 11:48 am
Community Director
Original Poster

I am thinking about renting a car in Thessaloniki, driving to Meteroa, then to Corfu. The ferry crossing is roughly one hour. I haven't yet found a schedule for the ferry. Any idea where I should look? How far in advance do I need to book to be confident of bringing a car onboard?

Then I see there is a ferry from Corfu to Patra. Same questions: where do I find a schedule? And how far in advance should I book? Or should I simply return to Igoumenitsa and drive on to the Peloponesian peninsula from there?
Old Nov 5, 18, 8:32 pm

1) Igoumenitsa-Corfu: Here's the current schedule of the main line (Kerkyra Lines)and as you can imagine, this is valid for the winter. The summer schedule is not yet out, it should be there in a couple of months and it will include a few more departures (also during the Easter period). There may be additional ferries from other companies but, to be honest, I did not feel like searching a lot. As for when to book, other than during the Easter period when the island is literally invaded by (Greek) tourists and the time around August 15 a week when pre-booking is definitely recommended, you actually don't have to book ahead of time, you walk up to the harbour agency and buy tickets for the next one leaving for Corfu.

2) Corfu-Patra: There are two possibilities for that. The first one is a small and slow one that leaves two (or maybe three) times a week. It takes alomst two days to get to Patras as it stops on every single Ionian island. Unfortunatey I don'y have details for that and I don't know whether they'll have it again this summer. The second possibility is to use one of the main Italy-Greece ferry companies that serve Corfu such as ANEK lines. Unfortunately, I don't really know whether these companies still take passengers for the domestic leg, I think that they stopped that as it may mess up their schedule and there were always very few people using it.

Finally, considering the new highway to/from Igoumeitsa to Patra, or the use of the "old" but nice road from Igoumenitsa to Preveza and then the highway, this may also be a possibility for you.

PS You shoule consider asking a Mod to open a new thread for your last post and my reply. Actually neither Corfu not Igoumenitsa count as Thessaloniki "surroundings" and any info, including future one on the particular matter may disappear for potentially interrested FTers.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Nov 6, 18, 4:26 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, Aegean silver
Also do check carefully the rental company's terms and conditions for taking a rental car on board a ferry as quite a few rental agencies will either not allow this, or require you to obtain written permission beforehand, and even then you might not be fully insured.

Eg. this was written at Hertz:

Hertz vehicles may be taken to Greek islands by ferry only with written authorisation obtained from the renting location.

There will be no cover while the Hertz vehicle is on the ferry and you will be fully responsible for any damage and/or loss. Hertz will be unable to provide a replacement vehicle, if needed, for your stay on an island where there is no Hertz location.
The smaller the rental company, the most likely you will not be allowed to take it on a ferry (mostly also due to the fact that a replacement vehicle will be difficult/costly for them in case the car will be damaged on an island to recover the car).
Old Nov 6, 18, 8:27 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer View Post
Also do check carefully the rental company's terms and conditions for taking a rental car on board a ferry as quite a few rental agencies will either not allow this, or require you to obtain written permission beforehand, and even then you might not be fully insured.
This is very helpful. I'll have to look to see if there is a car rental company at the Igoumenitsa ferry dock for Corfu.
Old Nov 6, 18, 7:35 pm

No, you don't need one there! If you want to take along to Corfu the rental car you got in Thessaloniki, you'll have to arrange that at the time of rental. If, on the other hand, you need a "new" car, you get it in Corfu. There are plenty of small car rental agencies right after exiting the harbour after arrival. Walk to the right and exit at or through the cafeteria "sette venti", cross the street and you'll find a lot of them.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Nov 6, 18, 9:01 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I'll have to look to see if there is a car rental company at the Igoumenitsa ferry dock for Corfu.
I worded this poorly. If I rent a car in Thessaloniki, can I return it at the ferry dock before boarding the ferry to Corfu?
Old Nov 7, 18, 5:51 pm

No personal knowledge, but a very fast and simple search says NO for Hertz and YES for Avis in Igoumenitsa. You'd have to specify a one-way rental. At ant rate, I know from Crete that even small rental companies that don't have own agencies everywhere allow one-way rentals on the island since they have partners.

Search this Thread