Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

need help deciding which islands to visit

Old Nov 4, 18, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Three healthy women, about 70 years old, want to visit some islands after a trip to Paris in June. . . are Greek islands too hot and crowded? how about Majorca in June. . . . we are thinking of renting an inexpensive house somewhere and exploring . . . .we need beaches for swimming, good food, cute shops, things to do .. . . .any suggestions?
Old Nov 5, 18, 9:37 am
Suspended

You need to clarify a few things first. Define too hot for starters. What the average Brit considers 'too hot' generally differs from what the average Floridian considers 'too hot' for beach weather. The criteria you have given re beach, shops, etc. can be matched by dozens of islands around the Mediterranean. You want to rent an 'inexpensive' house. Define inexpensive. What you think is inexpensive and what someone else things is inexpensive can be very different amounts of money.

You would do better to start with a budget number. ie.'Including travel from Paris and back (to catch our returning flight home), accommodation, food, etc. we are thinking of a budget of around $X per person for 7 nights. We would like to visit an island with good beaches but temperatures generally in the 70-80F range in mid-June. Perhaps a village a bit more off the beaten path to avoid the major hordes of tourists.'

Otherwise, your criteria allow for dozens of answers as possibilities and you might as well just Google, 'best Mediterranean Islands'. You need some more criteria to narrow down the suggestions.
Old Nov 6, 18, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Does it have to be an island? I'm a bit confused about the wish to visit some islands but without clarity where this might be over an area roughly the size of Argentina...
Old Nov 8, 18, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Spain, Italy or Greece?

Narrow your thoughts down a little then go from there.

ps. You could always just take the TGV to the South of France, Nice, the Cote díAzure etc, June isnít too crowded.
Old Nov 11, 18, 12:39 pm

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by seafeather View Post
. . . .we need beaches for swimming, good food, cute shops, things to do .. . . .any suggestions?
Britain?
Old Nov 11, 18, 6:53 pm

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
Your question is far too vague.

There are dozens and dozens of islands in the Med not just Greek ones so what about Malta or Cyprus or Sardinia or Corsica for starters? And that's before we start looking at the islands in Northern Europe such as the UK and Ireland and the islands off Denmark, France, Netherlands etc etc

Whilst flyer talk is full of people willing to give general advice we are not travel agents or mind readers. My idea of good food and cure shops is probably not the same.

Also how long are you intending to visit?
Old Nov 11, 18, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

I'd recommend Anholt, but I doubt we'll ever see the OP again.
Old Nov 12, 18, 8:00 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

Originally Posted by seafeather View Post
Three healthy women, about 70 years old, want to visit some islands after a trip to Paris in June. . . are Greek islands too hot and crowded? how about Majorca in June. . . . we are thinking of renting an inexpensive house somewhere and exploring . . . .we need beaches for swimming, good food, cute shops, things to do .. . . .any suggestions?
I'd say stay in Italy. Lots of coastline, plenty of shopping, great food, lots of things to do (antiquities, Renaissance, Hot Springs, eco-tourism, etc) great rental rates for homes or villas, and easy to get to from Paris. I don't know where the swim beaches are, you'll have to find that out.
Greek Islands vary with the season and the island. Most of them are packed and expensive in tourist season/June. The food is great and the beaches are world renown. Shopping is plentiful. I heard that 1/3 of the GDP of Greece is tourism related. There's not that much to do on some of the islands, because (unless you're on Crete), they're pretty small. It's easy to take the ferries from one to the other, though.
Old Nov 12, 18, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego View Post
I'd say stay in Italy.
The OP will be in France, not Italy. From my read of the post, she will be in Paris with friends and is looking for an add-on to the trip, "some islands", and I assume easy to get to from Paris (and in between islands). That rules out many of the posts in response.

Taking the post literally, and considering the other factors in the post, I'd consider the Dalmatian coast islands near Split or the Spanish islands on either side of the country. Without looking into the specifics, I'd think the Greek islands will be a little more difficult to get to from Paris (maybe not), but certainly more difficult to narrow down which to visit.

I'd fly from Paris to Split, right onto a ferry to Hvar then onto Korcula...but that's assuming the OP has an extra week to spend on this part of the trip. If not, I'd probably go to Majorca as she suggested in her post.
Old Nov 12, 18, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by JBord View Post
Without looking into the specifics, I'd think the Greek islands will be a little more difficult to get to from Paris (maybe not), but certainly more difficult to narrow down which to visit.
Well from a quick look at Wikipedia, there are direct flights from CDG and/or ORY to: Chania, Corfu, Heraklion, Kalamata, Mykonos, Rhodes, Samos, Santorini, Thessaloniki and Volos, as well as Athens of course. So not much narrowed down. Paris is pretty well connected after all.
Old Nov 12, 18, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Since the OP has not returned in over a week, probably a good idea to close this thread.
Old Nov 12, 18, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Well from a quick look at Wikipedia, there are direct flights from CDG and/or ORY to: Chania, Corfu, Heraklion, Kalamata, Mykonos, Rhodes, Samos, Santorini, Thessaloniki and Volos, as well as Athens of course. So not much narrowed down. Paris is pretty well connected after all.
Lol...of course it is! I was referring to the fact that you might deal with once daily, weekly, or very expensive flights vs. going to somewhere like Split. But point taken...
Old Nov 12, 18, 3:38 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by JBord View Post
Lol...of course it is! I was referring to the fact that you might deal with once daily, weekly, or very expensive flights vs. going to somewhere like Split. But point taken...
The Greek islands, particularly in June, are better connected to major European capitals than Split.