Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Turkey 10 days late October

Old Oct 6, 18, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, American

We are arriving and departing from IST and will have 10 days. We want to spend majority of time in Istanbul perhaps 5 days. The rest of the time we want to spend in the Izmir area and along the coast towards Bursa and Istanbul. We are not museum people and not much for ruins of ancient cities. We enjoy visiting and walking in smaller towns and old towns. Some areas we are considering are Bozcaada, Accropolis, Ayvalik, Temple of Athena and Behramkale and perhaps a ferry ride to Dikili. We will not be renting a car, planning to use buses and ferries. Not sure if any of these areas are accessible by train. Appreciate any suggestion including transport options.

Thanks all, Kestas
Old Oct 8, 18, 1:34 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Okay, well you have quite a lot to cover in just 5 days.

Aside from Istanbul, Bursa is perhaps the most attractive of Turkish cities, strung along the bottom of mount Uludag. It is known as Yesil (green) Bursa and is very attractive this time of the year. It has the old silk market, Yesil Turba and there is a cable car up into the mountains which is quite dramatic. It is also very easy to get to from Istanbul being a 2-3 hour coach journey. Do eat hot chestnuts (Kestani) from street vendors, and Iskender Kebab. There is also the old Ottoman village of Cumalikizik but I don't know how you would get there by bus. You could also see Iznik the ancient city of Nicea (read up on the council of Nicea before you go).

Now from Bursa, Well to be brutally honest there is not a lot of things to see nearby which will be worth the effort, so you might want to push on to the Aegean coast. Bozcaarda is lovely and you should be able to pick up some good wine. It might be a little windy this time of the year. Can't advice on buses I am afraid.

I would recommend Assos/Behramkale , it's a well preserved and rather spectacular ancient city, with some great restaurants in the harbour. It's one of my favourite places in that area.

Ayvalik & Cunda very nice and some great seafood, but you can see them in a day. If you like nice views you can go around to the alarmingly named Satan's Table (Sejtan sofra) especially good at sunset.

Izmir is nice and to save time you might want to fly back from Izmir to Istanbul, the flights are cheap and there are plenty of flight each day.
Old Oct 9, 18, 9:17 am

Programs: Multiple
Bursa is also well known for leather products (wallets, jackets etc.) and you can take the ferry from Istanbul. Bursa has a fairly large bus station (I'd recommend sticking with a major bus brand like Kamil Koc or Pammukale as they tend to have more comfortable seating and better service for longer trips). I definitely recommend Bozcaada as well.

I know your not into museums, but if you're trekking down the Aegean coast, you may want to make it over to Canakkale and Gallipoli before heading to Bozcaada. After that Assos, Akcay and Ayvalik could certainly be worth a visit before heading down to Izmir. You may want to trek out to Alacati/Cesme from there, though it is much quieter now as the summer season is over. If you do make it out there definitely try kumru. Another fun spot could be Kusadasi which is a bit further south from Izmir. Again not that you'd be in to the museum thing, but the House of the Virgin Mary isn't too far from Kusadasi.
Old Oct 10, 18, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, for very goo advice. I will take your suggestion on Bursa and stay in Istanbul the rest of the time. Do you have suggestions for Istanbul and around for day trips? Would you recommend on overnight in Bursa? And last, bus or ferry? We will arrive on the 23rd of Oct and will be in Turkey for 10 days. Our plan now is to stay in Istanbul and go for day trips or maybe one overnight. All suggestions much appreciated. PS we are not much for museums.

Thanks again
Old Oct 10, 18, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

We have changed our plan and now are staying in Istanbul with some day trips or an overnight. Would you have any recommendations for day trips or overnight. We will take the recommendation on Bursa.

Thnaks, Kestas
Old Oct 11, 18, 2:36 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I think you could happily do two days in Bursa and the rest of the time in Istanbul

You can get ferries to Bursa from Yeni Kapa with IDO or a couple of locations with Budo, which may be a quicker and pleasanter trip.

https://www.ido.com.tr/
https://budo.burulas.com.tr/

There are some nice spa hotels in Bursa so you can have a nice relaxing Turkish bath.

You can look on trip adviser for lots of things to do in both Bursa and Istanbul

What I would advise is taking the commuter ferries for a few lira up the Bosphorus rather than a crowded and expensive tourist trip.

Eat fish sandwiches (balick ekmek) near the Galata Bridge

Eat Iskender kabab with Grape Juice (Siyah) recommend ?SKENDER ® Yavuz ?skendero?lu the original Iskender, all the Turkish people I know rave about the Iskender restaurant near the old bus station in town, but I can't remember the name, Kebapē? ?skender BURSA | ?skender 1867'den Beri is also acceptable. None of these restaurants serves alcohol.

Walk along the Bosphorus or along the Marama shore, you can see many of the old defensive walls of Constantipole.
Old Oct 11, 18, 9:20 am

Programs: Multiple
I could recommend Eskisehir for a day trip (or even one night). There's express train service from Istanbul (Asian side) to Ankara which stops in Eskisehir and the trip is roughly 2 hours on the express train. Eskisehir is probably one of my favorite Turkish cities, very modern and green with a beautiful canal system that is very much like Amsterdam.

Beyond the thermal/spa hotels in Bursa I'm not totally sure what to recommend as I haven't spent too much time there myself. As Worcester mentioned you can access Bursa by an express ferry which takes roughly 90 minutes.

For Istanbul my favorite neighborhoods are Besiktas, Etiler, Bebek and Istiniye on the European side and for (higher end) shopping check out Kanyon in Levent and Istiniye Park Mall. Kadikoy on the Asian side is fun and has a bit of a hipsterish/young vibe with a lot of cool bars.

Search this Thread