Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can use 2nd passport when flying out of WAW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond

Friend of mine wants to make a long-haul booking out of WAW but in order to collect miles he wants to use his other passport instead of his Polish one (his name is written differently on both).

The reason is that in order for his name to match the frequent flyer program he needs to make the reservation using the 2nd/other passport, even though when clearing through Polish immigration (since the flight will be heading outside the Schenden zone) I assume he will have to show his Polish passport... where the name will not match the BP.

Is this going to be a problem?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:08 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
The immigration officials don't necessarily ask you for your BP, and if they do, you can show it to them on your phone with your name not visible. Most of the time they are mainly interested in the destination, to ensure you don't go through passport control if your flight is within Schengen.

In any case how different are the names, nobody will notice a minor spelling difference and given names on BPs are frequently truncated sometimes up to just an initial.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Assuming the first name will be visibly different (and not truncated in the BP), and that for some reason the person behind the desk will check that the BP and passport names match, wouldn't it suffice to show two passports to explain that you are exiting the country on one but using your name as spelled out in the other passport?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by aster
Assuming the first name will be visibly different (and not truncated in the BP), and that for some reason the person behind the desk will check that the BP and passport names match, wouldn't it suffice to show two passports to explain that you are exiting the country on one but using your name as spelled out in the other passport?
It’s WAW, so I have to ask what the ethnicity of the passenger is? If the person is perceived to be ethnically just European, I am pretty sure that the passenger showing their Polish passport is sufficient with just a quick flash of the boarding pass if passport control staff doubt the claim about heading to a non-Schengen destination. If that doesn’t work, what you are suggesting above should also work (at least if the person’s citizenship and passport are within the boundaries of the laws in the relevant areas).

Don’t volunteer more than asked and only when asked.
:D! likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:14 am
Suspended

No one can guarantee what will happen. It may or may not cause a problem. The only way to be SURE it will not be a problem is if the name on the Passport and Boarding Pass match. End of story.

You are asking a 'possible vs. probable' question and hoping to get a 'definitely' answer.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
No one can guarantee what will happen. It may or may not cause a problem. The only way to be SURE it will not be a problem is if the name on the Passport and Boarding Pass match. End of story.

You are asking a 'possible vs. probable' question and hoping to get a 'definitely' answer.
I can tell you first hand too that even if the names on the passport and boarding pass match, it's not "sure" that there won't be a problem at WAW.

Just about every outcome to do with human encounters when dealing with government is a question of "possible vs probable" and hoping to get a "definitely" enough answer.

I have some Polish dual-citizens and others in my travel parties who fly out of WAW a lot to non-Schengen destinations -- and I have enough info about their travel docs and travels to know how the relevant items are -- and they generally have no problem even if the names in one item doesn't line up perfectly with the name in another doc of possible relevance while the rest lines up. If a person is held suspect from the get-go -- say hassled due to racist profiling at WAW -- then expect more hassles than if a Polish dual-citizen perceived as being of only European ethnic background(s).
:D! likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I would not worry too much. I've never had an immigration official ask for my BP when leaving Schengen. And if they did, it would be not likely be a big deal with a small spelling difference.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I'd show the "native" ie. Polish passport. No hassle with entry/exit stamps etc. If asked (very low chance), just show the "other" passport and explain that you'll use that to enter the destination country. They'll make no fuss for their own citizen exiting the country on a legitimate Polish passport.

If the "other" passport is not EU/EEA passport, there might be quite a hassle, if the friend offered that to exit, with no evidence of entry. Avoid that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.