FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   EU adopts electronic travel authorizations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1929362-eu-adopts-electronic-travel-authorizations.html)

redct Sep 6, 2018 9:49 pm

EU adopts electronic travel authorizations

Visa exempt non-EU nationals will have to request electronic travel authorizations (similar to the eTA in Australia and Canada for many, and ESTA for non-US citizens). The regulation was just adopted by the European Council. The TA lasts for the shorter of 3 years or passport expiry and will go into effect sometime in 2021.

The system will apply to visa-exempt third country nationals. They will need to obtain a travel authorisation before their trip, via an online application. For each application, the applicant will be required to pay a travel authorisation fee of 7 euros.

The information submitted in each application will be automatically processed against EU and relevant Interpol databases to determine whether there are grounds to refuse a travel authorisation. If no hits or elements requiring further analysis are identified, the travel authorisation will be issued automatically and quickly. This is expected to be the case for most applications.

If there is a hit or an element requiring analysis, the application will be handled manually by the competent authorities. In this case, the ETIAS central unit will first check that the data recorded in the application file corresponds to the data triggering a hit. When it does or where doubts remain, the application will be processed manually by the ETIAS national unit of the responsible member state. The issuing or refusal of an application which has triggered a hit will take place no later than 96 hours after the application is submitted or, if additional information has been requested, 96 hours after this information has been received.
The three-year expiry softens the blow of having to pay anything for it. Overall, doesn't seem like much of a hassle.

dj_jay_smith Sep 7, 2018 4:22 am

Looks like this will also effect UK citizens after Brexit!

JBord Sep 7, 2018 6:06 am

So the key points here are it's expected to start in 2021, costs 7 euros, and lasts for 3 years. I'm unclear if it's all EU countries or just Schengen. The 2nd paragraph mentions Schengen. So a US or Canadian citizen traveling to Ireland would need this, or not? Would an EU non-Schengen citizen need it to travel to a Schengen country?

"ETIAS will allow for advance checks and, if necessary, deny travel authorisation to visa-exempt third-country nationals travelling to the Schengen area. "

Palal Sep 7, 2018 6:52 am

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 30177865)
So the key points here are it's expected to start in 2021, costs 7 euros, and lasts for 3 years.

Comparable to what EU charges to US citizens.

I'm unclear if it's all EU countries or just Schengen. The 2nd paragraph mentions Schengen. So a US or Canadian citizen traveling to Ireland would need this, or not?
It quite clearly states...

The ETIAS will undergo a detailed security check of each applicant to determine whether they can be allowed to enter any Schengen Zone country

Would an EU non-Schengen citizen need it to travel to a Schengen country?
No, EU citizens have freedom of movement throughout the EU.

We'll see how this will work for dual EU/non-EU citizens and countries that have no exit controls.

KLouis Sep 7, 2018 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Palal (Post 30177996)
...We'll see how this will work for dual EU/non-EU citizens and countries that have no exit controls.

A dual EU/non-EU citizen travelling as an EU citizen (EU passport used) will certainly not need anything of the kind. Simple logic, though, also says that if (s)he shows his "other" passport at immigration, he'll be asked for an authorization. Also, if they model the ETIAS on the US and entry Aussie authorizations, they will not be bothering to ask for it when exiting the EU. At any rate, let's wait and see...

UKtravelbear Sep 7, 2018 7:39 am

Scamers are preparing their 'services' now to catch people out by advertising 'help' with the application.

There are still people falling for these 'services' with things like ESTA anf EHIC.

I guess €7 for 3 years is good value compared to $14 for a 2 year ESTA (though $10 of that is supposed to be used to promote tourism into the US)

JBord Sep 7, 2018 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Palal (Post 30177996)

No, EU citizens have freedom of movement throughout the EU.

We'll see how this will work for dual EU/non-EU citizens and countries that have no exit controls.

So it will be required of any non-EU citizen entering a Schengen country. But as a US citizen, I could enter Croatia without this. Do I have that correct? I'm not sure it would make much difference in practice, since it's good for 3 years, not every time you visit a country. I guess I was just curious why they'd design it that way.

UKtravelbear Sep 7, 2018 12:47 pm

Croatia is not in Schengen at present (it is required to at some point as part of its agreement to join the EU) so you wouldn't need one of these assuming that Croatia was still outside Schengen when you wanted to travel there.

GUWonder Sep 7, 2018 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 30178045)
A dual EU/non-EU citizen travelling as an EU citizen (EU passport used) will certainly not need anything of the kind. Simple logic, though, also says that if (s)he shows his "other" passport at immigration, he'll be asked for an authorization. Also, if they model the ETIAS on the US and entry Aussie authorizations, they will not be bothering to ask for it when exiting the EU. At any rate, let's wait and see...

Lots of EU dual-citizens don’t have (or may not have) a currently valid EU passport at their time of traveling to the Schengen area from beyond the Schengen area; they may use something beside a EU passport to travel to the Schengen area at times.

Analise Sep 8, 2018 9:49 am

So as a non-EU national, what will this mean for me when traveling to an EU nation in 2021 either from the US and other non-EU nations or from a member EU country via flight or rail?

TPJ Sep 8, 2018 12:09 pm

I guess AU will start charging EU nationals for eVisitors (that are now granted for free).

JBord Sep 8, 2018 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 30182145)
So as a non-EU national, what will this mean for me when traveling to an EU nation in 2021 either from the US and other non-EU nations or from a member EU country via flight or rail?

I think it depends on what country you're entering. If the EU nation you're entering is Schengen, you'll have to pay 7 euros the first time after this goes into effect, good for 3 years. But if the EU nation is not part of Schengen, nothing changes from today.

But if your question is how will it work in practice (after the first time), that's something I was wondering too. Is there some type of card with an ID number to verify that you've paid for 3 years? As an American who travels to Europe often, I've never really had to do anything like this before. But I'm sure others have to enter the US, so there are existing processes.

UKtravelbear Sep 8, 2018 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 30182768)
I think it depends on what country you're entering. If the EU nation you're entering is Schengen, you'll have to pay 7 euros the first time after this goes into effect, good for 3 years. But if the EU nation is not part of Schengen, nothing changes from today.

But if your question is how will it work in practice (after the first time), that's something I was wondering too. Is there some type of card with an ID number to verify that you've paid for 3 years? As an American who travels to Europe often, I've never really had to do anything like this before. But I'm sure others have to enter the US, so there are existing processes.

You don't get a card with an US ESTA as the system is electronic. Heck I have GE and I don't get a card and that cost me a heck of a lot more than €7 or $14 for my ESTA.

If you are antsy then you can print out a copy of the authorisation that has the dates on it but I have never been asked to show it. My ESTA (and GE) are linked to my passport and I would anticipate that is how the EU system would work.

If there were cards involved the cost would be a lot more than €7!

KLouis Sep 8, 2018 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 30182877)
You don't get a card with an US ESTA as the system is electronic. Heck I have GE and I don't get a card and that cost me a heck of a lot more than €7 or $14 for my ESTA.

If you are antsy then you can print out a copy of the authorisation that has the dates on it but I have never been asked to show it. My ESTA (and GE) are linked to my passport and I would anticipate that is how the EU system would work.

If there were cards involved the cost would be a lot more than €7!

All of the above are 100% correct. As for the linked ESTA-passport, a week or so after I lost my Greek passport a few years ago during a Miami-Rome flight (don't ask how...) and reported that to the police station at FCO, I received an email from a "noreply" US government address stating that my ~year-old ESTA had been revoked without prejudice and that I'd have to get a new one after obtaining a new passport if I wanted to visit the States again.

henry999 Sep 9, 2018 1:04 am

Another issue we haven't seen explicitly addressed yet, Mrs999 is wondering how ( / if ) this will affect non-EU citizens with long-term Permanent Resident status in a Schengen country.