Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

EU adopts electronic travel authorizations

EU adopts electronic travel authorizations

Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You don't get a card with an US ESTA as the system is electronic. Heck I have GE and I don't get a card and that cost me a heck of a lot more than €7 or $14 for my ESTA.

If you are antsy then you can print out a copy of the authorisation that has the dates on it but I have never been asked to show it. My ESTA (and GE) are linked to my passport and I would anticipate that is how the EU system would work.

If there were cards involved the cost would be a lot more than €7!
That makes sense, just the way GE is linked to the passport, as you point out. Thanks.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by henry999
Another issue we haven't seen explicitly addressed yet, Mrs999 is wondering how ( / if ) this will affect non-EU citizens with long-term Permanent Resident status in a Schengen country.
I'm certain of the following: with implementation of this e-visa-type system for the Schengen area, LT PRs in the Schengen zone will be exempted from this ETA/evisa requirement if traveling with their non-EU passports and EU member state PR cards.

I've been talking extensively with the authorities and others involved in matters in this area for the EU/Schengen zone.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KLouis
All of the above are 100% correct. As for the linked ESTA-passport, a week or so after I lost my Greek passport a few years ago during a Miami-Rome flight (don't ask how...) and reported that to the police station at FCO, I received an email from a "noreply" US government address stating that my ~year-old ESTA had been revoked without prejudice and that I'd have to get a new one after obtaining a new passport if I wanted to visit the States again.
When you reported your passport as lost/stolen, the process began to get your passport info loaded into the Interpol database for lost and stolen travel documents, a database the US queries systematically to invalidate ESTAs in batches (and to potentially otherwise flag people traveling to the US -- even if using still valid and acceptable international travel documents).
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
While I believe in the freedom of traveling I also can understand why the EU / Schengen Countries are doing it. The current system has too many loopholes.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
While I believe in the freedom of traveling I also can understand why the EU / Schengen Countries are doing it. The current system has too many loopholes.
What are all those “too many loopholes” that will be sealed by the EU/Schengen countries copying the US ESTA way?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
So the sickness finally comes to Europe. Little by little, the freedom of movement continues to be eroded.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Concerto
So the sickness finally comes to Europe. Little by little, the freedom of movement continues to be eroded.
How it freedom of movement being eroded by this system? Please do tell.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
How it freedom of movement being eroded by this system? Please do tell.
Well, the whole purpose is stop people from entering the EU that the EU doesn't want. So those that are denied authorizations have their freedom of movement eroded. Now that may be a good thing, depending on the people
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:31 am

The EU (or, to be correct, certain Governments of EU) indeed wants to stop certain people from entering the EU. In their vast majority (if not all of them) these unwelcome individuals will have nothing to do with the new ETIAS, they've been obliged to have a visa for a long time and will still be for the foreseeable future. Which, of course does not mean that they nevertheless manage to enter the EU, much the same way that neither visa nor ESTA managed to reduce illegal immigration to the US. So, the ETIAs is certainly not meant to be a European version of... the wall
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Well, the whole purpose is stop people from entering the EU that the EU doesn't want. So those that are denied authorizations have their freedom of movement eroded. Now that may be a good thing, depending on the people
"freedom of movement" is applicable to EU citizens, who are anyway excluded from this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
A dual EU/non-EU citizen travelling as an EU citizen (EU passport used) will certainly not need anything of the kind. Simple logic, though, also says that if (s)he shows his "other" passport at immigration, he'll be asked for an authorization. Also, if they model the ETIAS on the US and entry Aussie authorizations, they will not be bothering to ask for it when exiting the EU. At any rate, let's wait and see...
I'm thinking more about the mechanics of how this will work. A US/CAN citizen needs to enter/leave the US on their US/CAN passport. Because US/CAN doesn't have exit immigration, this needs to be transmitted to the government through the airline. Now the airline also needs to check that the person is eligible to enter Europe - an EU citizen would need to present their passport for that. The question is whether the airline can technically do it.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:22 am

the ESTA # of Europeans travelling to the US is also transmitted to the American authorities by the airline and not by the "exit immigration". So nothing new/impossible/difficult here!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Countries have always had the right to refuse entry to visitors. They don't have any freedom of movement rights until they are admitted to the country/countries

At least with these sort of authorisations you don't even get on the plane before being denied entry rather than it happen at the border and being sent back.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the ESTA # of Europeans travelling to the US is also transmitted to the American authorities by the airline and not by the "exit immigration". So nothing new/impossible/difficult here!
No they don't Airlines don't know my ESTA number. There is no field in APIS to enter it for example.

Airlines transmit the passport number to the US (along with other demographic data) and they get sent back a marker that shows them you have an ESTA which then along with the passport check generates the 'docs ok' on the boarding pass.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Countries have always had the right to refuse entry to visitors. They don't have any freedom of movement rights until they are admitted to the country/countries

At least with these sort of authorisations you don't even get on the plane before being denied entry rather than it happen at the border and being sent back.
Can't people still be denied entry at the border? AFAIK having an ESTA isn't proof that the USA will necessarily allow one to enter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.