Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dalmatian Coast - best way from US to get to/from?

Old Jul 29, 18, 11:43 am
Original Poster

I am in the very early planning stages of a trip to Croatia next spring that starts in Split and ends in Dubrovnik. The only way I've found to get to Split and return from Dubrovnik from CHS is via United. It looks pretty pricey right now, although it's still far out, but mainly, I'm tired of United's flying dormitory business class on 772s, which seems to what we'd be on. So, I'm wondering if I should fly to a European gateway city and then fly Easyjet, Ryan Air, etc. to Croatia.

If so, what gateway makes the most sense, or is there another way to get there, or should I just suck it up and go United - again?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 29, 18, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Some connection options from the UA forum Will UA fly to Croatia?
And again ... if you search "Croatia" (as above in UA) and Information Desk ... you find getting to Croatia

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Jul 29, 18 at 12:21 pm Reason: added second thread link
Old Aug 4, 18, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by CHSBoater View Post
I am in the very early planning stages of a trip to Croatia next spring that starts in Split and ends in Dubrovnik. The only way I've found to get to Split and return from Dubrovnik from CHS is via United. It looks pretty pricey right now, although it's still far out, but mainly, I'm tired of United's flying dormitory business class on 772s, which seems to what we'd be on. So, I'm wondering if I should fly to a European gateway city and then fly Easyjet, Ryan Air, etc. to Croatia.

If so, what gateway makes the most sense, or is there another way to get there, or should I just suck it up and go United - again?

Thanks in advance.
Your timing is quite important, because DBV and SPU have some connectivity, but only limited to seasonal (summer) peaks (this is especially important if you consider an LCC option to fly in/out).

Have you considered to fly in to Zagreb (I know that you want to avoid UA, but UA has a code-share with OU to ZAG) and then take a domestic routing to SPU/DBV (they usually cost around 400HRK (~60USD) one way economy with baggage).
Old Aug 4, 18, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aleant View Post
Your timing is quite important, because DBV and SPU have some connectivity, but only limited to seasonal (summer) peaks (this is especially important if you consider an LCC option to fly in/out).

Have you considered to fly in to Zagreb (I know that you want to avoid UA, but UA has a code-share with OU to ZAG) and then take a domestic routing to SPU/DBV (they usually cost around 400HRK (~60USD) one way economy with baggage).
Yes, I looked into that, as well as maybe flying to VCE since I haven't been, and then on to Croatia, but flights are very limited from VCE to SPL/DBV. I have discovered that LH has a code share with UA that flies LH metal. That's how I'm leaning unless someone in my party really wants to spend a few days in another European city with access to SPL/DBV.

Thanks for the response.
Old Aug 4, 18, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by CHSBoater View Post
Yes, I looked into that, as well as maybe flying to VCE since I haven't been, and then on to Croatia, but flights are very limited from VCE to SPL/DBV. I have discovered that LH has a code share with UA that flies LH metal. That's how I'm leaning unless someone in my party really wants to spend a few days in another European city with access to SPL/DBV.

Thanks for the response.
If you're going to be in Venice, why don't you just fly Volotea? They have multiple non-stop flights every week between Venice and Split/Dubrovnik.

VOLOTEA - Cheap flights, offers and plane tickets to Europe
Old Aug 5, 18, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jaymar01 View Post
If you're going to be in Venice, why don't you just fly Volotea? They have multiple non-stop flights every week between Venice and Split/Dubrovnik.

VOLOTEA - Cheap flights, offers and plane tickets to Europe
Venice was a possible interim destination, but the Volotea flight, which operates only 4 days a week, is really late at night, like 10/11pm. Not really suited to this old fart.
Old Aug 5, 18, 11:53 am
Community Director

I have a very nice connection on Austrian Airlines via Vienna to Split next summer in business class.

My go to way to look at routes between city pairs is to check out flights.google.com.
JBord likes this.
Old Aug 5, 18, 8:45 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: LH, DL
I fly LH to and from Croatia. Unlike others, I like the Business hard product. There are enough connections from both MUC & FRA amongst *A in the summer. Be aware that, at least in the past, some connections are not scheduled every day.
Old Aug 12, 18, 7:44 am

Programs: United 1k - Hilton Diamond
Split To Dubrovnik - take the ferry. Open decks absolute wonderful views and very stress free - Ive also used Croatian Airlines - not bad for short hauls around the region

https://www.krilo.hr/en/
Old Aug 12, 18, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by maltman1 View Post
Split To Dubrovnik - take the ferry. Open decks absolute wonderful views and very stress free - Ive also used Croatian Airlines - not bad for short hauls around the region

https://www.krilo.hr/en/
Is it only this route that has open decks? I was disappointed last month when I took the Krilo line from Split-Korcula and Korcula-Dubrovnik and neither had open decks. I guess my expectations were off, but maybe only the longer routes like this have open decks?
Old Aug 12, 18, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Do you have requirements you aren't mentioning? I ask because using random dates in March, April, and May I get options that have the transatlantic flights on AA, DL, BA, OS, and LH in addition to the UA options you've found.