Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to Krakow - Tips?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Flights to Krakow - Tips?

I'm trying to find flights from Perth to Krakow, but I want to balance: a) cost; b) total travel time; c) reasonable arrival time.
The return flight time is not as important, so I was hoping to get some tips on the departure flight from anyone here who may have experience.

Using September 7 as a base, it seems to me that the best option might be:

EK 421 Perth to Dubai (10:20pm - 5:20am+1) - Emirates
EK 179 Dubai to Warsaw (8:10am - 12:15pm) - Emirates
LO 3901 Warsaw to Krakow (1:20pm - 2:15pm) - LOT

Almost 23hrs all up.

Can anyone think of a better combination? I've been using Google Flights to look at options. Flydubai would be good except it arrives at 10:30pm in Krakow so I'd lose that day. Maybe Qatar Airways could be an option, but it doesn't appear in the list of options so I don't know if that means there's a codeshare problem.

Which leads me to another question, will I have any issues having checked baggage tagged from Perth to Krakow? And if I have to collect luggage in Warsaw, how long would I need to allow myself between flights?

If anyone can share their thoughts I'd appreciate it! Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:28 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Not able to help on your specific question, but just adding that Krakow is a really cool city and definitely worth a visit.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TBD
Not able to help on your specific question, but just adding that Krakow is a really cool city and definitely worth a visit.
Definitely keen to hear any suggestions you have about things to do there! I've never been and don't know anything about Krakow.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
The other option for that date would be QR 901 via DOH:
QR 901 PER-DOH 23:05 05:40+1
QR 259 DOH-WAW 08:25 13:25

That would get you in an hour later though so the EK flight still looks the best unless the QR flights price a lot cheaper.

An interesting alternative would be to take the world's longest flight (PER - LHR on QF) but that would actually take you longer in total and almost certainly cost more. So you're good with Emirates.

Krakow is a fantastic place to visit. Obviously, I'd expect you to see the Old Town and Kazimierz but try to walk across the footbridge to get to Podgorze on the other side of the river (if you do one of the Schindler tours you'll go this way also). Have a walk up the hill and from the top you'll get a view of the city looking back. Also you can check out Tytano - a hipsterish hangout place very close to the centre with some interesting bars and nice cafes. Another thing is to rent a bike and use the cycle paths that run alongside the river.

Last edited by yurtripper; Jul 22, 2018 at 8:26 am Reason: Added info about QR flight
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Thank you, I will investigate that too. And thanks for the tips about Krakow.

Do you know what the situation at Warsaw is? If I combine either Emirates/Qatar with LOT, will I have to collect my luggage / exit the airport / go through immigration etc etc at Warsaw? (If so how long should I allow myself?) Or could I get my luggage tagged through from Perth -> Krakow and do passport control at Krakow?

Cheers
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:32 am

I have only transferred in WAW on Lot and the bags checked through. I have done business in Krakow many times and it's a nice city.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by ViaJoburg1
Thank you, I will investigate that too. And thanks for the tips about Krakow.

Do you know what the situation at Warsaw is? If I combine either Emirates/Qatar with LOT, will I have to collect my luggage / exit the airport / go through immigration etc etc at Warsaw? (If so how long should I allow myself?) Or could I get my luggage tagged through from Perth -> Krakow and do passport control at Krakow?

Cheers
Ask Emirates to see if they can interline your luggage so that your bags will be checked through to KRK. You'll have to go through passport control on arrival anyway at WAW but if you can stay airside and do a transfer that will save you a lot of hassle and time. You don't have much time between arriving at WAW and your KRK flight so it will really pay to avoid having to exit the airside section on arrival just to pick up your bags.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you. How big is Warsaw airport? Are there separate terminals for domestic/international?
I'm just trying to get a feel for how much time I'd need to transfer, especially if it involved doing immigration and picking up bags.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:06 am

WAW is super easy for transfers. Just one terminal. As you're making a domestic flight you at least avoid the problem of going through passport control to get airside again, but you'll have to go through security clearance if you've picked up your bags. Your KRK flight will start boarding at 12:50 (assuming it's not delayed) so that doesn't give you a huge amount of time to play with... even if your Emirates flight lands on time. You *really* want to do this as a transfer so get your bags interlined if at all possible (I'd say you'll be able to check them through but I've never done this route).
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:08 am

WAW is a really easy airport, very organized have never had a logjam or debacle there.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:19 am

A word of friendly advice for future flights like this: personally, I'd never book the KRK flight to leave so close to the incoming flight from DBX when the bookings are separate. With separate bookings you have no protection so if you miss the KRK flight you'll need to cover it out of your own pocket. There are several flights a day to KRK so you could give yourself a window of a few hours (maybe long enough to pop into the centre), or spend a night in WAW to get a better look at the city.

BTW, you haven't booked your KRK flight yet so why not do this? Then you won't have to worry so much.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I just came back from a Krakow - Warsaw - Gdansk trip. I had 6 nights in Krakow and could have spent a few more days. I did the free Walkative tours in Krakow, for the old town and Kazmierz (old Jewish quarter) and they were great. Did a day trip to Auschwitz. So much culture, history. and fun. However, if you delve into the history, it is also a sad story too. Obviously, there is the time of the Nazis and subsequent Soviet domination, but also earlier Polish history is challenging too. The Poles have had a particularly tough time in the past several centuries.

Best meal I had there was at restaurant Padre, several blocks from the main square.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for their tips.

Originally Posted by yurtripper
A word of friendly advice for future flights like this: personally, I'd never book the KRK flight to leave so close to the incoming flight from DBX when the bookings are separate. With separate bookings you have no protection so if you miss the KRK flight you'll need to cover it out of your own pocket. There are several flights a day to KRK so you could give yourself a window of a few hours (maybe long enough to pop into the centre), or spend a night in WAW to get a better look at the city.

BTW, you haven't booked your KRK flight yet so why not do this? Then you won't have to worry so much.
There was a flight leaving Warsaw about an hour later, which I ended up booking. So I've got a few hours break between each flight now.

Does anyone have any experience with FlyDubai from Krakow to Dubai? Firstly in what configuration the plane is, and secondly in how you transfer from the budget terminal in Dubai to the main Emirates terminal?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, & EP 2024-25; Southwest A-List
Hi All, how big is the KRK airport? Is it reasonable to plan a connecting flight (no checked luggage) scheduled 45 minutes after scheduled arrival of a BA flight from London?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.