Reload this Page >

AMS and LHR passport control questions

Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Virgin Velocity, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond

Hello everyone,
I am currently holidying in AMS. i have to fly to OSL on Sunday.
i would like to know if there is passport control between AMS and OSL ?

And in 2 weeks time, i will be flying from ARN Stockholm to LHR.
Is there passport control at this end too ?
(I carry an Australian passport)

I asked as i dread the passport queues at AMS and LHR and i was just curious. : )
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
No border control on intra Shengen (AMS-OSL-AMS), yes to London (exit in ARN and entry in LHR).
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:29 am
Suspended

Yes, unfortunately you can't avoid it at LHR. Whenever possible, I would try to avoid LHR as I consider it one of the worst airports anywhere to fly in/out of. They have no idea of how to make it more hassle free for travellers and almost seem to want to make it as unpleasant an experience as possible.

I don't find any of the UK airports very pleasant but LHR has to be the worst. I just returned from a trip where I went through EDI and it was an easier experience overall. I do find the lack of cleanliness of EDI disgusting but more tolerable than the LHR endless snaking lines for security etc.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Yes, unfortunately you can't avoid it at LHR. Whenever possible, I would try to avoid LHR as I consider it one of the worst airports anywhere to fly in/out of. They have no idea of how to make it more hassle free for travellers and almost seem to want to make it as unpleasant an experience as possible.
Connecting at LHR can be beneficial. Imagine flying SFO-BOD. Option 1: Flying into AMS, going through immigration there, and connect to BOD. Option 2: Fly into LHR, avoid large queues at immigration and enter Schengen at BOD, where queues won't be quite as bad at peak times.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Connecting at LHR can be beneficial. Imagine flying SFO-BOD. Option 1: Flying into AMS, going through immigration there, and connect to BOD. Option 2: Fly into LHR, avoid large queues at immigration and enter Schengen at BOD, where queues won't be quite as bad at peak times.
Depends . If you're at the back of the plane, BOD is no fun, considering they usually only have one agent. Either way, you have to go through passport control there though . The only exception in France is for domestic flights
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by pewpew
...{snip}...The only exception in France is for domestic flights
Not true, no passport controls for intra Schengen flights (with occasional exceptions).
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by KLouis
Not true, no passport controls for intra Schengen flights (with occasional exceptions).
Such as... https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/schengen/reintroduction-border-control_en
France (30 April 2018 30 October 2018)
persistent terrorist threat; all internal borders

BOD and TLS for sure require all flights that do not originate within or depart to France to go through passport control
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Virgin Velocity, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thank you everyone for the replies.
Sigh, i was hoping to avoid passport control at LHR, never mind, just pray that the queue at the non EU line will not be too long.
The queue at AMS can be very bad too, but at least their passport control area has air ventilation / air conditioning on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.