Search

Favorite restaurants in Brussels, Bruges, Ghent

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Favorite restaurants in Brussels, Bruges, Ghent

Hi all,
As part of a family trip to Europe this summer, we'll be spending three days in Belgium. We'll be based in Brussels but making day trips to Bruges and Ghent. I'm greatly looking forward to the beer, but also hoping to get some good food while we're there. i've gotten great suggestions in the past from flyertalkers when visiting other countries, so I figured I'd try again. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions for restaurants you like in any of those three cities that aren't too expensive but have good Belgian/French food -- since I've got the kids (who eat like starved beasts), my wallet can't handle a Michelin starred establishment or the like. Both kids are old enough that they don't need special menus and can behave themselves in nice places, but casual is probably better than formal. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: NH
For Brussels:
If you stay in the center, Delirium bar became too commercial to my taste. Instead go to the café called Moeder lambic. They have many beers on tap, staff speaks English and serves you your best matched beer after 4 basic questions. (Also wines and spirits lately)
If you don’t mind to be paying 5 euro for a beer in chic environment, go to hotel metropole.
If you are heading more for cocktails, there is one of the worlds most awarded barman in the crystal lounge bar.
There are also nice breweries to visit with tasting at the end. Why not even subscribe to a beer tasting workshop or beer brewing workshop if it rains? (PM me)

As for Bruges:
For one of the best Liege waffles, go to Albert.
Here again there is a nice brewery to visit called Halve maan (brews the “Brugse zot”)

As for restaurants,
one of the cantina style cheaper Belgian food chain is called Lunch garden.
If you prefer real small restaurants, I know way too many just to sum up here. Why don’t you PM me with your kitchen preference (food, meat, etc) and budget. Ill give you good addresses. Whatever you do, stay away from the restaurants of “rue des bouchers” if you want to avoid bad frozen food or food poisoning.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been a few years since I was in Bruges, but I recall enjoying meals at
Restaurant de Stove and Au Petit Grand
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
If you are going to Bruges and money is not an issue, you have to go to Hertog Jan. It's about a 15-minute drive outside of Bruges, but it is still the best meal I have eaten anywhere in this world. Don't even bother looking up anything else if you have only one dinner in town!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Bumping this thread in case anyone else has suggestions. I'm leaving next week for a week in Brussels and Antwerp (with day trips to Bruges and Ghent) and would love some moderately priced (20-30 euros-ish) restaurant recommendations. Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Have a look at the Michelin guide online for Brussels and Antwerp and focus on the ‘Bib Gourmand’ restaurants. Those are the good cooking, good value restaurants that the guide was originally focused on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.