Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Prague: Tourist Safety & Recommendations

Prague: Tourist Safety & Recommendations

Old May 31, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
On another note, there was a craft beer bar back then, way before it was popular. Near the city center, small place, but I think associated with a restaurant. I think it was on a corner. For the life of me, I can't find it. Any ideas?
I was in Prague in October 2009 and there wasn't a whole lot of "craft" beer. The corner part eliminates most places I can think of. There is a brewpub Pivovarský Dům on Lípová (Nové Město) that is on a corner. Also Ferdinanda (taproom for Pivovar Ferdinand, which is an older brewery but does brew some "crafty" beers) on Opletalova near Václavské náměstí.

Not quite in the city center, U Slovanské Lípy on Koněvova in Žižkov is restaurant with good beer. I believe sometime in 2010 they changed their name from Koutská pivnice.

Places that had "crafty" beer in 2009 but weren't on corners were places like Pivovarský Klub on Křižíkova in Karlín (related to Pivovarský Dům), Novoměstský Pivovar (a brewpub) on Vodičkova, and the original "Craft Beer Pub" První Pivní Tramway in Záběhlice but you wouldn't forget that one -- not anywhere near the center and literally in an old tram building at the Spořilov tram station.

Somewhere I have my notes from my 2009 visits but we didn't visit a lot of "craft" beer type places, mostly pubs that had beers from some or another regional brewery.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:03 pm

This whole discussion on the price of beer (one or two US$ more or less!) in Prague under the general title "Is Prague safe for tourists" may bring several people searching this thread to think that we're discussing potential DUI cases
OB one and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
That is more like what I remember. I was there in 2010. I remember typically paying 25-35 crowns for beers. And I think the price I paid was closer to 70-80 when I got "ripped off"
On another note, there was a craft beer bar back then, way before it was popular. Near the city center, small place, but I think associated with a restaurant. I think it was on a corner. For the life of me, I can't find it. Any ideas?
I think we routinely paid 35-40 crowns for beer last year. But, we avoided the tourist traps generally.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:57 am

That is more like what I remember. I was there in 2010. I remember typically paying 25-35 crowns for beers. And I think the price I paid was closer to 70-80 when I got "ripped off"
If value for money is your criterion try
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...a.html?m=19905
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I too was momentarily outraged at some of the beer prices in the more touristy places -- until I realized it is still way cheaper than I'd pay at home. The "outrage" first came when I saw a Klášter světlý leźák for 69 Kč for a .4l at Fat Cat Pub in the heart of Tourist Central when the day before I'd had the same beer at Klášterní pivnice in Holešovice for 24 Kč for a full .5l

A bit of self promotion: beer places I like are at www.BeerGuidePRG.com
I know the feeling well. I usually stay in Dejvicke area and was downtown one day just walking and soon ended up back at U Veverky near Hradcanske for some tanku pilsner at a more reasonable 39 kc. Love your link, I have been to many of those places but will try a few more.

Not sure when it opened, but perhaps U Kunstatu? That and Strahov Monastery are my quick recommendations when friends ask me for craft beer recommendations.

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I was in Prague in October 2009 and there wasn't a whole lot of "craft" beer. The corner part eliminates most places I can think of. There is a brewpub Pivovarský Dům on Lípová (Nové Město) that is on a corner. Also Ferdinanda (taproom for Pivovar Ferdinand, which is an older brewery but does brew some "crafty" beers) on Opletalova near Václavské náměstí.

Not quite in the city center, U Slovanské Lípy on Koněvova in Žižkov is restaurant with good beer. I believe sometime in 2010 they changed their name from Koutská pivnice.

Places that had "crafty" beer in 2009 but weren't on corners were places like Pivovarský Klub on Křižíkova in Karlín (related to Pivovarský Dům), Novoměstský Pivovar (a brewpub) on Vodičkova, and the original "Craft Beer Pub" První Pivní Tramway in Záběhlice but you wouldn't forget that one -- not anywhere near the center and literally in an old tram building at the Spořilov tram station.

Somewhere I have my notes from my 2009 visits but we didn't visit a lot of "craft" beer type places, mostly pubs that had beers from some or another regional brewery.
Thanks. Pivovarsky Klub is a frequent stop especially since the State Opera has been undergoing renovations as most shows have been moved to Karlin Theater, right across the street. Good for pre and post libation. My complaint is there are too few draft beers on tap. There are plenty of bottles but I can get a Duvel at home.

I like Novomestsky Pivovar and actually know the brew master that set the place up when it opened. Decent food too.

As with the world, the increasing number of craft beer places is happening at the same time there is major consolidation in the world beer breweries. Pilsner Urquell is now owned by Asahi, Staropramen is owned by Molson Coors.

Originally Posted by farci

If value for money is your criterion try
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...a.html?m=19905
Aaaaah, at the Hippopotamus. Problem is getting a seat. I have been there at 11:15 am waiting outside just so we could get a seat. Man, did that ever make me feel like beer might just be a problem. U Cerneho Vola is a similar type place imho. Good cheap beer with no frills. Don't expect a conversation with the barkeep.
TheMadBrewer likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by OB one
Aaaaah, at the Hippopotamus. Problem is getting a seat. I have been there at 11:15 am waiting outside just so we could get a seat. Man, did that ever make me feel like beer might just be a problem. U Cerneho Vola is a similar type place imho. Good cheap beer with no frills. Don't expect a conversation with the barkeep.
Shhh. U Černého Vola is supposed to be a secret

Pilsner Urquell is now owned by Asahi, Staropramen is owned by Molson Coors.
It is hard sometime to keep track with all the mergers. Like baseball just before the trading deadline. Originally (after the Velvet Revolution) Urquell was owned by SAB (which became SAB/Miller) and Staropramen by Interbrew (which became ImBev then AB/ImBev). And somewhere in there was a brewery to be named later
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:05 pm

Hi!

Prague is beautiful and safe, but there are lots of awful scams on tourist. If you will go there - first, watch Janek from Honest Guide
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
On topic and stolen from another thread: Good advice and tips about the city itself.
Originally Posted by marketa1883
Also try to avoid Prague scams, Janek from Honest Guide has good videos - it could help
Back off topic:
Thanks MadBrewer. While I don't think it was any of the bars you mentioned that I was looking for, one of the ones on your list, Pivovarský Dům, is a great story for me.
My first day in Prague back in 2010, I was wandering around and lost track of time. As I headed back to my hotel, I realized that I was very hungry. Nothing was open. Walked by Pivovarský Dům, but the door was locked, even though one table was still eating. The waitress, a grandmotherly like woman, saw the disappointment on my face, waved me back, opened the door. She spoke no english, I spoke no czech. At the time, the only menu was in czech. I shrugged, she gave a reassuring sign, brought me a version on goulash. It was a great first impression of Prague. The memory always makes me smile and now, thanks to you, I found the restaurant again.
TheMadBrewer, Hoyaheel and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:31 am

Hi!

Prague is beautiful and safe, but there are lots of awful scams on tourist. If you will go there - first, watch Janek from Honest Guide
The videos are helpful.

My Prague ? Janek Rube? | Radio Prague
On topic and stolen from another thread: Good advice and tips about the city itself.

Back off topic:
Thanks MadBrewer. While I don't think it was any of the bars you mentioned that I was looking for, one of the ones on your list, Pivovarský Dům, is a great story for me.
My first day in Prague back in 2010, I was wandering around and lost track of time. As I headed back to my hotel, I realized that I was very hungry. Nothing was open. Walked by Pivovarský Dům, but the door was locked, even though one table was still eating. The waitress, a grandmotherly like woman, saw the disappointment on my face, waved me back, opened the door. She spoke no english, I spoke no czech. At the time, the only menu was in czech. I shrugged, she gave a reassuring sign, brought me a version on goulash. It was a great first impression of Prague. The memory always makes me smile and now, thanks to you, I found the restaurant again.
I'll suggest Mr. Kipper check out Pivovarský Dům while he's there in July.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
Hi!

In fact, the OP watched Honest Guide and became concerned about all the scams exposed there.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
The hotel staff is telling me that Uber is currently illegal in Prague. Can someone confirm? Headed over there in September.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
The hotel staff is telling me that Uber is currently illegal in Prague. Can someone confirm? Headed over there in September.
I don't think it is. It used to be, but I think they reached a deal last year essentially making it legal. I found very little need for Uber or taxi, given the metro system.
downinit likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I used Uber in Prague to and from the hotel in October 2018.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:10 pm

I used in May of this year, so if there are changes, it has been since then.

The driver with the car service I use to take me to the airport gave me an earful about Uber from the driver's side -- and he had an ax to grind so take it with a liberal helping of salt: He said things were great when the Americans were around for the first year or so Uber was in Prague. When the Americans left (he said) it is basically run by Russian mafia. Then again, every bad thing I heard about in Prague was blamed on Russia mafia

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.