Prague: Tourist Safety & Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prague: Tourist Safety & Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Just got back from a 10 days in Prague and echo most of the things said here. I would add, I used Google Pay (Android Pay) all over the place and ended up needing a lot less cash than I expected.

I bought 24 and 72 hour transit passes (CZK 110 and CZK 310 respectively) and traveled all over the place. I mostly used trams (and a few busses) as you get to see things compared to the Metro. The transit authority has a decent app (in English) -- and my slow T-mobile roaming worked fine with it.

Pickpockets are always a concern when people are packed in (got picked on the Brussels Metro 5-6 years ago -- got my camera from my zipped coat pocket). I keep my valuables in a neck wallet and slim wallet (with coin purse) in my front pocket that has ready cash. Phone goes in the other front pocket or in a zipped pocket.

I didn't use Uber this trip but did last year and it was fine.
Old May 26, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer

I didn't use Uber this trip but did last year and it was fine.
You know, I never thought it would really catch on like it has, but have to admit that Uber is now a great resource in many countries. Being able to program your destination vs. try to translate it, paying by app, and the option, in some countries, to get Uber English (for only a couple dollars more) is great. In some places, it can be quite a bit cheaper too. It's become my go-to mode of transportation after train/tram/subway.

Glad to see it's working well in Prague, and hoping to give it a test when I'm in Croatia this summer.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by farci
...or prebook a taxi from your hotel. They will usuall get you a good deal
Or walk. If you have a hotel in the center, everything is walkable with some pedestrian zones. Just try to avoid very crowded areas and don't change money with random strangers who approach you. [This would be common sense everywhere, but the police in Prague seem to be on a mission to warn tourists about pickpockets and unofficial currency exchange practices--which might well be illegal for other reasons.]

When I visited, the biggest threat seemed to be drunk Brits in bachelor party groups. Thanks to cheap flights on ULCCs and cheap beer, Prague seems to be a favorite destination for such trips. A related concern was the presence of lots of broken beer bottles in the streets, so wear closed shoes that offer some protection.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by rumbataz
I've been researching Prague and a lot of the videos I've seen on YouTube concern the alarming levels of pickpocketing, rip-off currency exchange places and taxi drivers ripping tourists off.
Are there currency exchange places that aren't ripping off people? How else are they going to make money? Do yourself a favour and look into getting a card that allows you to do cheap ATM withdrawals at a decent exchange rate. Beware of 1) fees charged by the ATM, 2) fees charged by the card issuer, and 3) the exchange rate (+ any markup on the exchange rate).

Re: pickpocketing and cab drivers ripping you off: Those exist pretty much anywhere. Both issues can be avoided by paying attention.

Have fun in Prague.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by kipper
Drink beer in Prague. It is usually cheaper than water.
This is where I got ripped off. Had a beer in the touristy area and had to pay almost $3.
Helsinki Flyer likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
This is where I got ripped off. Had a beer in the touristy area and had to pay almost $3.
What? Are you joking? According to this table published by the WSJ $3 would be a bargain!
Old May 28, 2018, 5:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Ehm, you didn't get ripped off.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Ehm, you didn't get ripped off.
It was several years ago. The exchange rate was better. It may have been closer to $4.
It was significantly more than I paid at local pubs.
But I really didn't mind paying whatever the price was, still way cheaper than most US bars.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Are there currency exchange places that aren't ripping off people? How else are they going to make money?
In Asia (e.g. SG, TH, VN) a lot - often I get very near the interbank middle rate (maybe 0,5-1% spread) - though usually not at the airport. Using my company CC at ATM usually results in a 5-7% worse outcome (not using the offered conversion rate). I have no idea how they make money.

OTOH in Europe there are some really disgusting chain bureaux de change - they might use 25-30% spread! While next door a local whole-in-the-wall place offers 2-3% spread, which is again, better than the ATM rate.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
I have been going to Prague three times a year since 2012 usually for about 10 days at a time. I never had a problem with pickpockets like I have in Paris or Rome but I only carry a limited amount of money and a credit card in my front pocket. Just be aware of your surroundings. There are several Muslim run money exchanges that give the best exchange rate without fee and with a VIP card (given if you change money often enough) the rate beats the ATM rate which, for me, also includes a withdrawal fee. The place I like best is next to U Provanice Restaurant near Mustek Sm?nárna Provaznická Change Praha - Sm?nárna s výhodným kurzem There is a good exchange place on Kaprova Street near Kafka's birthplace as well, but it is right next door to a ripoff exchange so you have to know where you are going. On exchange rates, the USD was worth 20 crowns in 2012 rose over the years to 25 crowns ans is now back to 22 crowns per dollar. All of this reflects the US Fed and Czech national bank's monetary policy. Prices for things as a US resident were good at 25 crowns per dollar. But then again, I get paid in crowns so there is that tradeoff.

Concerning beer prices, going three times per year and drinking my share of beer, the price has been rising and is now in the high 40's and low 50's for a half liter of Pilsner Urquell in decent restaurants/pubs in the center. One thing that has been happening lately is the half liters are often no longer .5l but now .45l or .47l. But I have watched Milky Way bars shrink in size since 1962. This is not a new phenomenon. You can raise the price or lower the quantity and keep the same price. Outside the city center, the beers are typically 42 crowns or so. You can still get a half liter of Pilsner Urquell at U Glaubicu across from St. Nicholas church in Malostranske Namestri for 36 crowns. At an average price of 48 crowns exchanged at 22 crowns per dollar, that is about $2.20.

The above mentioned U Provanice as well as U Pinkasu (first place to serve Pilsner in Prague in 1843), both in Mustek, are frequent stops for a night cap or two. For six years, the price of a half liter has been in the 40's but I was there two years ago the first week of January with a friend, stopped for a night cap, where we each had a beer. I gave the bartender 100 crowns knowing that would more than cover the cost of two beers and he barked at me "No, 120." I insisted three times that 100 was enough. He did not relent. Two weeks later, I went back and told my local friend about the prices and sure enough the price was 45 each, so my 100 would have been enough to pay. A year later but the same week of New year's, I went back and there were big notices outside each restaurant saying Pilsner 60 kc. Ten days later, I went back and the price was back to 49. Not a scam, but just the reflection of higher demand, and hence holiday prices, over the holiday season.

And that WSJ journal article is full of BS concerning Prague beer prices unless you are drinking Guinness in an Irish pub where you will be paying 99 to 109 crowns for a pint and 70ish for a pint of Pilsner. But if you really want to save money, drink Staropramen or Gambrinus or, heaven forbid, Branik. You can get a 2 liter bottle of Branik for 20 crowns in the grocery store.
Helsinki Flyer likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
In Asia (e.g. SG, TH, VN) a lot - often I get very near the interbank middle rate (maybe 0,5-1% spread) - though usually not at the airport.
I've used those but many of them are somewhat shady. In some cases, they beat interbank middle rate. I suspect that a few of them are used to launder money or circumvent exchange restrictions, hence why they offer an attractive forex rate.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Yes there has been some inflation -- one of my favorites is the Hostomice Fabian 12ş at Hostomická Nalévárna on Soukenická-- last year it was 33 Kč for .5L -- this year it is up to a whopping 34 Kč If you go for the 10ş it is only 28 Kč

I too was momentarily outraged at some of the beer prices in the more touristy places -- until I realized it is still way cheaper than I'd pay at home. The "outrage" first came when I saw a Klášter světlý leźák for 69 Kč for a .4l at Fat Cat Pub in the heart of Tourist Central when the day before I'd had the same beer at Klášterní pivnice in Holešovice for 24 Kč for a full .5l

A bit of self promotion: beer places I like are at www.BeerGuidePRG.com
Old May 31, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
Originally Posted by kipper
OP, watching the Honest Guide series on YouTube?
I have no doubt HonestGuide is the source. Ironically, the series is made to warn visitors about the (relatively scarce and usually fairly obvious) rip-offs and tourist traps and to allow them enjoy their trip without issues.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Myyra
I have no doubt HonestGuide is the source. Ironically, the series is made to warn visitors about the (relatively scarce and usually fairly obvious) rip-offs and tourist traps and to allow them enjoy their trip without issues.
I know. We used it before heading there, and it was helpful as far as getting around and such.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OB one
Concerning beer prices, going three times per year and drinking my share of beer, the price has been rising and is now in the high 40's and low 50's for a half liter of Pilsner Urquell in decent restaurants/pubs in the center. One thing that has been happening lately is the half liters are often no longer .5l but now .45l or .47l. But I have watched Milky Way bars shrink in size since 1962. This is not a new phenomenon. You can raise the price or lower the quantity and keep the same price. Outside the city center, the beers are typically 42 crowns or so. You can still get a half liter of Pilsner Urquell at U Glaubicu across from St. Nicholas church in Malostranske Namestri for 36 crowns. At an average price of 48 crowns exchanged at 22 crowns per dollar, that is about $2.20.
That is more like what I remember. I was there in 2010. I remember typically paying 25-35 crowns for beers. And I think the price I paid was closer to 70-80 when I got "ripped off"
On another note, there was a craft beer bar back then, way before it was popular. Near the city center, small place, but I think associated with a restaurant. I think it was on a corner. For the life of me, I can't find it. Any ideas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.