Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tours to Kotor, Montenegro from Dubrovnik

Old May 13, 18, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum

I'm planning our Croatia trip for this July, and we hope to take a day trip to Montenegro when we're staying in Dubrovnik. Our first thought was take the bus or rent a car. But buses seem unreliable for this route, and as we looked at rental cars we were finding prices around $180 US, even before factoring in any additional costs for the green card (?) to take the car across the border. Some had the card included for the $180. However, as we started looking at tours, we were finding that we could do 2 people for $100-150 US, and not have to deal with paying for parking, gas, etc.

We're having some trouble narrowing down tours. They all seem to include stops with free time in Budva and Kotor, and then there are small differences like a stop in Perast or a boat to Our Lady of the Rocks. We're not too interested in seeing the church, and I've read mixed reviews on whether Budva is an interesting or worthwhile stop. I've seen mostly great reviews of Kotor. We're going for the sightseeing, scenery, and hoping for a nice lunch with a glass of wine on the Bay.

At this point we have ruled out renting a car and are focusing on tour packages. So you can post that I'm being ridiculous and should just rent a car, but I'll ignore that.

With that very long description, I need some help!

1. Have you done a tour from Dubrovnik to Kotor that you would recommend, and why? We'd like to stay in the price range I quoted above, or a little higher, don't need the $500 private car tour.
2. Short of a tour, any thoughts on Budva, Kotor, Perast, or other things to see and do on this route will be very much appreciated and may help us decide on the right tour for us.

Thank you!!!
Old May 13, 18, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A number of yrs ago we stayed at The Hilton, and asked about a private guide and car to Kotor and Mostar. It was alot cheaper for the 3 of us then going with a bus. The others already did Mostar so I went with a bus tour (booked right inside the Old City gate. It was a mini bus and basically after giving us a history lesson we were free to wander the town as we wanted

I image all the hotels will beable to set you up the only question is if the guide/s who charge less are available or already taken

Enjoyed both days out, when we went to Mostar he took the back roads and explained that the border crossing that way takes alot less time then the main road, and he was correct he took our PPs and was back in the car in < 5 mins, from others I heard it was along wait at the main crossing point
Old May 13, 18, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Well, we're staying at an AirBnB in Dubrovnik, so having the hotel put something together isn't an option. We also want some time to wander on our own, get lunch, etc. So I think we're learning toward either a small tour (van size, and our preference), or a larger tour group.

Interesting that you mention Mostar, as we're planning a day trip there from Split. But we're finding a lot better information and options for that one.

I have one other question that came to mind. From Split, we are MAYBE going to take a bus to Krka Falls (Skradin). Waiting to make that decision once we're there and seeing how jetlag affects the first few days. Again, it looks like a much cheaper option than renting a car for 2 people. Anyone have thoughts on that? Positive, negative, tips for that trip?

Honestly, it's been an interesting planning process...I've been around Europe quite a bit, but not to the Balkans. We found everything from hotels to transport to tours to be a little more difficult to research, which I didn't expect for such a popular tourist area, but we're getting there. In some ways, it's made me more excited for this trip than many of my other jaunts through Europe.
Old May 13, 18, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord View Post
Well, we're staying at an AirBnB in Dubrovnik, so having the hotel put something together isn't an option. We also want some time to wander on our own, get lunch, etc. So I think we're learning toward either a small tour (van size, and our preference), or a larger tour group.

Interesting that you mention Mostar, as we're planning a day trip there from Split. But we're finding a lot better information and options for that one.

I have one other question that came to mind. From Split, we are MAYBE going to take a bus to Krka Falls (Skradin). Waiting to make that decision once we're there and seeing how jetlag affects the first few days. Again, it looks like a much cheaper option than renting a car for 2 people. Anyone have thoughts on that? Positive, negative, tips for that trip?

Honestly, it's been an interesting planning process...I've been around Europe quite a bit, but not to the Balkans. We found everything from hotels to transport to tours to be a little more difficult to research, which I didn't expect for such a popular tourist area, but we're getting there. In some ways, it's made me more excited for this trip than many of my other jaunts through Europe.
Im sure the concierge would be then happy to hook you up, as Im sure he gets a kick-back and you cant charge it to the room
Old May 22, 18, 11:37 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: LH, DL
Split tour to Krka

Originally Posted by JBord View Post
...From Split, we are MAYBE going to take a bus to Krka Falls (Skradin)..... Again, it looks like a much cheaper option than renting a car for 2 people. Anyone have thoughts on that? Positive, negative, tips for that trip?
We did the Spliticious bus tour to Krka in 2017. Professional, on time, reasonable price, beatutiful National Park, nice to swim in lake. I would use them again.
CON crowded. (I would not drive, the parking lot was a mad house)
Tip for Split - stay in a nice AirBnB located in the old walls. Worth the extra price.
Old May 23, 18, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GMTmin8 View Post

We did the Spliticious bus tour to Krka in 2017. Professional, on time, reasonable price, beatutiful National Park, nice to swim in lake. I would use them again.
CON crowded. (I would not drive, the parking lot was a mad house)
Tip for Split - stay in a nice AirBnB located in the old walls. Worth the extra price.
Thanks, appreciate the recommendation. We found a nice boutique hotel inside the walls. But in Korcula and Dubrovnik we went with AirBnB. I think it's going to be a great way to experience those towns.
Old May 30, 18, 8:38 pm

We rented a car a couple years ago and visited Perast, Our Lady of the Rocks, and Kotor. It was really great all around and I would recommend it. We enjoyed the unique setting of Our Lady of the Rocks, and had a nice lunch in Perast. Kotor is very interesting, but it was broiling hot when we visited in August.. Driving and parking were pretty straightforward except for one close near encounter with a bus on a narrow street we probably shouldn't have been on. Our car rental was under $50 via Hertz at the peak of tourist season, so I think you can do much better than $180, but it'd be great with a tour, too. No problems or terrible traffic crossing the border either way.