Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

F/J recommendations from MAD to FCO?

F/J recommendations from MAD to FCO?

Old Apr 26, 18, 4:55 pm
formerly meunger11
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, 1WS, CX Silver, HH Gold, Caesars Diamond
Question F/J recommendations from MAD to FCO?

Wifey and I will be in Europe on holiday over the July 4th weekend. Anybody have good recommendations for F/J domestic going from MAD-FCO and then FCO-MAN? I've seen a lot about the lackluster/joke of a domestic biz product they have over in Europe, but didn't know if there were any hidden gems, or maybe an airline I'm missing that randomly flies a somewhat-maybe-decent F/J product? I mean, don't get me wrong...I'm super excited and all about the insert between the two coach seats and all
Old Apr 26, 18, 5:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to FT Europe Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 26, 18, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by meunger11 View Post
Wifey and I will be in Europe on holiday over the July 4th weekend. Anybody have good recommendations for F/J domestic going from MAD-FCO and then FCO-MAN? I've seen a lot about the lackluster/joke of a domestic biz product they have over in Europe, but didn't know if there were any hidden gems, or maybe an airline I'm missing that randomly flies a somewhat-maybe-decent F/J product? I mean, don't get me wrong...I'm super excited and all about the insert between the two coach seats and all
There are no flights with F from MAD to FCO and on to MAN.
Old Apr 26, 18, 7:41 pm
formerly meunger11
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, 1WS, CX Silver, HH Gold, Caesars Diamond
The itinerary is not a same-day itinerary. We will be in Italy for 10 days. The FCO-MAN is a return.
Old Apr 26, 18, 8:18 pm

The itinerary is not a same-day itinerary. We will be in Italy for 10 days. The FCO-MAN is a return.
Makes no difference: no First with any airline in Europe, only Business!
Old Apr 26, 18, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
MAD-DXB-FCO and then FCO-DXB-MAN in Emirates First.
Old Apr 27, 18, 3:26 am

Either Iberia or Alitalia from Madrid to Rome (direct flight, easy-peasy) as long as the expectation bar in terms of catering (but also seating etc.) is set at the very bottom (I've tried both). No direct flight (at least on carriers with a business class section) between Rome and Manchester but I'd go for Lufthansa via Munich or Air France/KLM via Paris/Amsterdam, simply to avoid London-Heathrow or Frankfurt (MUC is probably the best European airport, together with CPH, when it comes to connections - no security, just passports and off you go to the next gate).

G
Old Apr 27, 18, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Makes no difference: no First with any airline in Europe, only Business!
I think you are right. Fifth Freedom flights were always the way to go, but they are disappearing with airline failures / consolidations, longer range planes no longer requiring stop-overs and higher traffic making it feasible to fly two long haul routes direct.

SQ's MUC-MAN (with suites) disappeared in 2016, KAL ZRH-VIE in 2017 and Air China's VIE-BCN and ATH-MUC services disappeared this year.

OP, there is still the LATAM flight between MAD and FRA which offers a fully-flat J cabin. But at a 2.5hr flight direct, is it worth it? Only you can decide.
Old Apr 27, 18, 10:16 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Flew LH in both Biz and coach, and was very, very impressed with service and cleanliness of aircraft.

Service in coach (granted not a full flight) on MAD-FRA was better than what I am used to on UA Int'l Biz. Biz was superb, and didn't even mind too much the coach seat with middle blocked.

If you want comfort there are the high speed trains from MAD to France, not sure they connect all the way to Italy, and even the super speed trains take a while. I did BCN-MAD in coach just to be able to say that I've done the high speed train, and I'm sure that FC would be a good, though long trip.
Old Apr 27, 18, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
Flew LH in both Biz and coach, and was very, very impressed with service and cleanliness of aircraft.

Service in coach (granted not a full flight) on MAD-FRA was better than what I am used to on UA Int'l Biz. Biz was superb, and didn't even mind too much the coach seat with middle blocked.
While I agree with your comments, I think there's very little difference between LH biz or coach that's worth the price. As you said, coach seat (with very little legroom by the way), you get a slightly upgraded meal over the sandwich they hand you in coach, and you're in the same row of 3 coach seats, but with no person in the middle seat, offering a little more shoulder room than if a larger passenger were there. As I wouldn't plan my meal around a 2 - 2.5 hour flight, the only significant difference is you don't have to rub against someone's shoulder.

Personally, I don't think I'd ever pay for business in a domestic European flight, other than when it's included and priced into a long-haul ticket.
Old Apr 27, 18, 12:20 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by JBord View Post

Personally, I don't think I'd ever pay for business in a domestic European flight, other than when it's included and priced into a long-haul ticket.
We're on the same page here

FRA-BUD was part of cheap USA-BUD Biz flight, MAD-FRA-PRG was a reward ticket when I waited too long to buy a cheap economy ticket and no reward tickets in coach were left
Old May 21, 18, 8:11 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hmmmmmm.....

July in southern Europe. You're gonna burn!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 21, 18, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by roberto99 View Post
Hmmmmmm.....

July in southern Europe. You're gonna burn!!!!!!!!!!!!
Given that OP indicates DFW, NYC and MCO as his/her home base, perhaps the trip to South Europe in July has the purpose of getting out of the very cool and dry environment of these three US locations.

Search this Thread