Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Ferry Companies in Greece

Old Mar 28, 18, 6:09 am
Original Poster

I see there are about 5 major companies for island hopping. Which are generally have the best cabins and most on time and organized?
Old Mar 28, 18, 11:49 am
Suspended

Ferry companies in Greece come and go every couple of years. I would not say any are the most 'on time and organized'. It is quite common for example for a ferry scheduled to arrive at an island at say 4 pm to show up at midnight or not at all if the weather is bad.

Having lived in Greece, I learned to expect nothing and I was never disappointed. If you are going island hopping, what difference does it make anyway whether they are on time or one is out of business next week? You just get on the one that shows up and is going in the general direction of where you are thinking of going. Or are you trying to plan a day by day itinerary for a given period of time and a given list of islands with everything pre-booked? If that is the case, I would think again. This is Greece you are talking about. Have you heard the phrase', 'man plans and the gods laugh'? Greeks probably invented that saying.
yurtripper and rickg523 like this.
Old Mar 28, 18, 2:54 pm

The best ferry company is the one that goes to where you want to go to next at a time that suits you.
Really, there aren't dozens of ferries charging up and down between each island, and you haven't said which group of islands you want to visit. The Greek ferry network is basically routes radiating from Athens (Piraeus, Rafina, or Lavrion) serving different combinations of islands in different island groups. Then there are more local ferries, often operated by local companies, which help you move about from island to island within the group. Changing island groups without going back to Athens and starting again is possible but may be challenging. No one company serves all the island groups, let alone all the inhabited islands. In fact the Ionian islands, to the west, don't even have a service to Athens because the mainland is in the way., and the major companies don't serve them - it is all local companies apart from some international ferries to/from Italy which call at Corfu (Kerkyra) on the way.
Let us know which island group you want to hop around, and it will be possible to make recommendations.
Old Mar 28, 18, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Athens to Naxos/Mykonos/Santorini back to Athens.
Old Mar 28, 18, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by ASUDan130 View Post
Athens to Naxos/Mykonos/Santorini back to Athens.
Take the cheapest or the one whose schedule better fits your plans. Be prepared for some wait at Santorini during the high season. Lots of traffic, and the "harbour" can only accommodate a very limited number of feries, so often some of them get delayed while waiting to dock.
Old Mar 29, 18, 2:17 pm

Athens to Naxos I take the slow boat. Blue Star Delos, I think. Leaves early in the morning, arrives around 1pm. You're going to be in the open Aegean, and the hydrofoils, let's say, bounce around a lot. The trip takes half the time, but it could seem endless.
In the Cyclades, just take whatever's running when you want to go.
Blue Star runs pretty consistently, but as others have said, you can use the published schedules as a guide, but don't buy tickets until you're there.
Old Mar 30, 18, 12:20 pm
Suspended

It's also worth noting in this age of fluctuating prices for everything which makes people think they will save money by booking ahead, that Greek ferry prices are fixed by law. So there is no difference between buying a ticket ahead of time or on the day of departure. The only small risk is if the ticket class you want is sold out. ie. private cabin. But that is not a high risk at all.

Besides, if you really want to go 'island hopping' which it doesn't sound like you really are given your list, but nevertheless, you should be going 'deck class' with the real 'island hoppers'. It is literally what the name says. No cabin, no bed, just a seat inside somewhere perhaps or a night spent in a sleeping bag laid out on the deck. For the more 'savvy' island hoppers, you get on board as soon as you can and stake out a space under a stairwell for the night. Inside out of the wind and possible rain, on a carpeted (perhaps) floor. Ah the sheer luxury of it compared to the non-savvy deck class passengers. They'll be green with envy.
rickg523 likes this.