Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

4:30 at HEL - enough time to check out the city?

Old Mar 20, 18, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

In late May, I have a four and a half hour layover at Helsinki airport. I arrive from FCO at 15:40 and depart to DEL at 20:15. Both flights are Finnair in R and booked on one ticket. I have never been to HEL or the city. I am hoping to take the train to the city and explore for an hour or so before returning to the airport. If my incoming light is on time, what do you think? Should I attempt heading to the city?

Thanks,

Ansh
Old Mar 21, 18, 9:49 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Yes, go for it but if you don't have an EU/EEA passport then you should probably head back to the airport after less than 1 hour in the city. Check the train times beforehand so you know exactly when you need to return to the station.
Old Mar 21, 18, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - appreciate your response. I have an Indian passport. Should I anticipate long lines at exit passport control at that time?
Old Mar 30, 18, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
At that time there shouldn't be too long lines, as the major wave of Asian departures will have left by 6 pm.

You'd be downtown around 5pm and should start back around 6 pm, so as ! said, you'll have an hour or so only. Can't really see much of the city in that time.
Old Jun 10, 18, 7:00 am
Original Poster

made it

Just to report back - made it to the city and spent an hour. OF course not much time but better than whiling it away at the airport.
no rush at security or immigration upon my return to the airport, and

I was at my gate 1hr before boarding.
malmostoso likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: