Wiki Posts
Search

Ljubljana airport (LJU) to Ljubljana downtown to Zagreb downtown to ZAG airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Ljubljana airport (LJU) to Ljubljana downtown to Zagreb downtown to ZAG airport

I arrive into LJU airport at noon, I depart from ZAG airport at 21:10 on the same day.

I would like to see some of Ljubljana & Zagreb, but I only have 7 hours to get from LJU to ZAG, that is if I want to arrive ZAG airport 2 hours before my departure.

Any suggestions on how to get from Ljubljana airport (LJU) to Ljubljana downtown to Zagreb downtown to ZAG airport?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Flixbus is your best bet. It takes 2h20.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
Flixbus is your best bet. It takes 2h20.
Thank you for the information, from what I can tell Flixbus takes you directly from LJU airport right to ZAG airport, it does not look like it makes any stops in between Ljubljana and Zagreb. I am hoping to spend a couple of hours in Ljubljana and Zagreb.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:16 pm

There are trains as well for city to city journeys - about 4 a day, which take just over two hours, same as the bus.

See the Slovenian railways website:

Slovenske ?eleznice - Zagreb - Slovenske ?eleznice

I've not made the journey myself so can't offer any personal recommendations.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: Flying blue
With such a short time you should definitely hire a car ( if its possible to hire it in Slovenia and feturn it in Croatia )t in order to use your time at maximum. Driving between the cities takes about one hour and a half. The trains are slow and infrequent and you will spend the whole day travelling by buses and trains and waiting for them.
personally I dont think you have time to visit both cities and travel in between in just few hours. They are both lovely, tipical central european cities and both worth visiting. I would suggest you do some research and choose just one this time and leave the other one for next time
be aware that sometimes the border crossing between Slovenia and Croatia can take half en hour or more if the traffic is heavy and on good days yolu will get over in 2 minutes. So allow plenty of time!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airhaiku
With such a short time you should definitely hire a car ( if its possible to hire it in Slovenia and feturn it in Croatia )t in order to use your time at maximum. Driving between the cities takes about one hour and a half. The trains are slow and infrequent and you will spend the whole day travelling by buses and trains and waiting for them.
personally I dont think you have time to visit both cities and travel in between in just few hours. They are both lovely, tipical central european cities and both worth visiting. I would suggest you do some research and choose just one this time and leave the other one for next time
be aware that sometimes the border crossing between Slovenia and Croatia can take half en hour or more if the traffic is heavy and on good days yolu will get over in 2 minutes. So allow plenty of time!
Great idea, that is exactly what I am going to do, rent a car, thank you for the idea.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by jimcoddington
Great idea, that is exactly what I am going to do, rent a car, thank you for the idea.
The idea may be good, but don't be so happy about it until you've checked: a) it may not be possible to hire a car across that border and b) cross-country rentals in Europe are very expensive!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by jimcoddington
Thank you for the information, from what I can tell Flixbus takes you directly from LJU airport right to ZAG airport, it does not look like it makes any stops in between Ljubljana and Zagreb. I am hoping to spend a couple of hours in Ljubljana and Zagreb.
There are flixbus buses from Ljubljana bus station to Zagreb (bus station). IIRC there are lockers at Zagreb bus station, and the bus from there to the airport takes 30 mins.

If you end up renting a car - remember, you'll have to cross a border, so budget some time for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.