Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

50 minute layover in Copenhagen with kids

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50 minute layover in Copenhagen with kids

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Question 50 minute layover in Copenhagen with kids

Hello all,

This is an excerpt of our flight itinerary:

17:35 New York, Newark Liberty International
07:15 +1 Copenhagen, Kastrup

08:05 Copenhagen, Kastrup
09:00 Gdansk, Lech Walesa

I have read that a 50 minute connection time in Copenhagen is sufficient. However, with two small kids with us, is this 50 minute connection time still valid? This is assuming that we do not have the option of running like Usain Bolt from gate to gate.

Thank you!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So many what ifs:

• What if you're among the last to deboard your transatlantic flight? That could take 15 minutes.
  • How quickly can you and your small children walk/run to catch the 2nd flight?
  • What if your transatlantic flight is late?
  • What if the Gdansk flight closes 15 minutes before departure? You won't even have that 50 minutes assuming you're first off the plane.
Assuming your itinerary is all on one ticket, if you all miss the connection, how many flights are there to Gdansk for the rest of the day? What if they can't get all of you on a future flight that day?

I wouldn't do this itinerary if I were alone.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
IS this all on one ticket or have you self booked and it's on two? The former and you'll be rebooked onto the next available flight the latter you'll be springing out for new ones.

Which airline is this?

As Analise says you need to subtract off their doors close time from the 50 minutes so you'll be closer to 30 minutes.

As you are arriving from a non schengen country and flying to a schengen one you need to clear immigration at CPH. You'll also have to do a security check.

here is some info on the CPH website about transitting.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! Sorry for the lack of details. This is for Scandinavian Airlines (SAS). The itinerary includes the whole family, so it is all on one ticket. I have done some additional research, and there seems to be two other flights to GDN on that day. The second flight of the day is at 1PM, and the last flight is at 10PM. The flight to CPH originates from Newark (EWR).

Also, where do the passengers unload from the aircraft (closest seat number)? Based on the flight info, this is likely the aircraft (Airbus A330-300 [333])used:
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/SA...htno=910&date=

Last edited by Qacer; Feb 16, 2018 at 4:21 am
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Still need some detail. The question is whether EWR-CPH and CPH onwards are on separate e-tickets. Every passenger has their own e-ticket, even if everybody is booked on the same itinerary or PNR. The sole question for you is whether there are separate tickets for the separate segments.

Presuming one ticket, this is within MCT, but with smaller children, it is well outside Sensible Connection Time (SCT). Kids get fussy, need bathroom breaks, food breaks and all manner of other delays occur. Those are up to you. With that short a connection, it is entirely possible that you are on schedule and still cannot make it to your departure gate.

There is nothing worse than an unplanned lengthy time at a connection point, which might be the case if the next flight has no availability.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:34 am

CPH is amongst the best airports (in Europe) when it comes to connections and indeed the above arrangements, even with small kids, would give you enough peace of mind (assuming, needless to say, no major delays). You will only have to go through passports (no security) before a maximum 10/15-minutes' walk to your next gate (even if this is at the very end of pier/s A/B). I flew to GDN from CPH several times during my commuting days and aircraft doors would normally close 10 minutes before departure time, very often they would wait for connecting passengers, SK is pretty good at that.

G
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You'll also have to do a security check
Unless things have changed recently, US/non-Schengen flights arrive at pier C, a short walk to passports (where there could be queues at peak times) and off to the Schengen section, hence no security.

@Qacer - GDN services often board from one the D gates, which are literally just behind border controls, on the right hand side, a few steps away.

G
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Unless things have changed recently, US/non-Schengen flights arrive at pier C, a short walk to passports (where there could be queues at peak times) and off to the Schengen section, hence no security.
From the link I posted

If you arrive at Copenhagen Airport from a country outside of EU and have to continue traveling by airplane, you will have go through the security check. Please note that the same limitations apply to liquids as any other departure from the airport.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - Still need some detail. The question is whether EWR-CPH and CPH onwards are on separate e-tickets.
I don't know. The itinerary is based on reservations through SAS's website. I'm assuming that if you book directly through the airline all passengers will be under one reservation.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
From the link I posted
Thanks for that link. It helped orient my view of CPH. From the info, it appears that flight will arrive at Pier C15-40. Since the final destination will be to a Schengen destination, the flight to GDN will likely be in Pier B or D1-D4. The whole reservation will be done through SAS.com, so I'm assuming if done so, it will likely be SAS' aircraft.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Qacer
I don't know. The itinerary is based on reservations through SAS's website. I'm assuming that if you book directly through the airline all passengers will be under one reservation.
Yes - you didn't book 2 separate tickets - SAS will put you on the next flight to GDN in case of delays.
This connection is totally doable even with kids. You don't have time to go shopping or do anything else though.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Palal
Yes - you didn't book 2 separate tickets - SAS will put you on the next flight to GDN in case of delays.
This connection is totally doable even with kids. You don't have time to go shopping or do anything else though.
Even if you are delayed CPH is one of the better places to transit with kids due to the range of facilities and -'hygge':
https://www.flysas.com/en/ie/Promoti...n-and-Transit/
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I'm going to move this over to the SAS forum, where the regulars have plenty experience of this kind of connection, and can advise accordingly.

God rejse!

stut
Europe
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
The benefit of effiencient scandinavian life I try to keep all my SK connections under 1hour �� ARN is safer but CPH should be fine too. Only issues I have had at CPH is long lines at passport control at times.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
I wouldnt worry either. Likely you will make it and if not, there are several other Gdansk flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.