Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fly into Larnaca LCA and out of Lefkosa ECN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

I want to fly into Cypress from Moldova, into Larnaca LCA airport, and fly to Istanbul from Lefkosa ECN. Any problems with that?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:40 pm

Did this about 10 years ago. Flew into LCA from Tel Aviv and after a few days, crossed the Green Line and flew from ECN back to the US via IST and FRA. Didn't have any issues.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA/AA
There have been some recent incidents where non-EU nationals upon arriving in the Republic of Cyprus have been asked to state their place of residence during their visit. If they state they intend on staying in the north, they have been denied entry. So, best to keep your intentions to yourself during Immigration Processing.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Not sure if this may be a problem but if you require a Visa to enter the Republic of Cyprus (the South) there will be a record of entry but not of exit (they don't do immigration checks on the Green line border as the RoC does not view it as a international border). This might be an issue if you want to return to Cyprus with the same passport.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I plan to stay in the south a few days before transiting to the north. But because my flight back home is from Istanbul, exiting from the north is a lot quicker and a lot easier (and cheaper). And I am a US citizen, so no visa required.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:48 am
Original Poster

"...if you require a Visa to enter the Republic of Cyprus (the South) there will be a record of entry but not of exit ..."
----------------------------------------------
Funny story, 40 years ago, as an 18 year old student, I flew to Paris to attend college. After I got off the plane and got my bag, and walking around a bit dazed, I asked someone where I needed to go. They pointed me to an exit and suddenly I was out of the airport, no customs, no passport check. Later, returning from a train trip to the Netherlands, my passport was stamped in France (this is before the open borders of the EU). So when I left France for the US a year later, the passport control officer wanted to know how I had entered Europe from the US on a train. I told him the story and he stamped me out.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:41 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Shouldn't be a problem, but...... if you plan to come back to Cyprus (not Cypress), you may have a problem as there will be no record of you leaving the RoC (I do not believe that the TRNC exchanges immigration data with the RoC). Your passport is not stamped when leaving the RoC to go to the TRNC and vice versa. Also, when you go through immigration at ECN, if the immigration officer is perplexed about you not having a TRNC entrance stamp in your passport, just tell him which crossing you came through to the TRNC - he will then be able to find you in the computer.

Also, recently RoC immigration is interested in people flying into LCA and then going to the TRNC to stay. It has to do with staying in "illegal" TRNC hotels (hotels on Greek Cypriot land taken by the Turks during the 1974 invasion), so keep your intentions to go to the TRNC to yourself when going through immigration at LCA.

I last crossed the green line in December. My residency permit was scrutinized upon re-entry to the RoC (have a Cyprus permanent resident permit in a US passport).
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:57 am
Original Poster

"Cyprus (not Cypress)"
-------------------------------
Sorry, I'm in Houston, in the Cypress-Fairbanks school district. So my brain hiccups sometimes.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.