Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me plan a dream driver's vacation!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Help me plan a dream driver's vacation!

I've been trying to make a drive on the Stelvio pass happen for the past four years and still haven't managed. This time around I'm determined to finally figure out a month when it will finally be open, but now I also want to add a few other destinations. Here are some of my constraints:
  • Length of time: about 10-14 days, June-September time frame
  • "Must do" destinations: Stelvio, Furka, Grossglockner, Liechtenstein
  • Possible arrival airports: Rome, Munich (flying from DTW and I prefer direct flights)
As car rentals go, Munich would probably be the preferred destination given the fun car options at Sixt and Europcar. The problem with that is needing to then double back to Munich to return the car and fly back, so the fact that Avis has fun cars in Rome and Milan, as well, is helpful to have as a backup. The road back to Rome might be more interesting, as well.

The main advice I'm after has to do with things to do/see on the way. The roads are a destination in and of themselves, but not enough of one. So far, I've looked at two possible routes:
  1. Rome - Furka - Stelvio (via Vaduz) - Grossglockner - Graz - Ljubljana - Italian East Coast (Venice, San Marino) - Rome. Given the restrictions most rental agencies place on their fun cars, the almost-3000 km trip might be a bit overkill, but one way to lessen this could be to take a train to Milan, rent a car there and return it there, as well. That cuts the trip down to about 1800 km and makes it much more manageable.
  2. Munich - St. Gallen - Vaduz - Luzern - Furka - Stelvio - Grossglockner. Less than 1500 km, but the downside is that just last year I spent some time in the Munich/Austria area, with just weather preventing a drive on the Grossglockner, and I'm not sure that I would want to do it again, not having loved places like Ettal and Oberammergau nearly as much as I wanted to.
  3. A merging of the two: flying into Munich, taking a train to Milan, renting a car there and maybe even flying home from Rome.
Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Last edited by highlanderfil; Jan 14, 2018 at 2:39 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by highlanderfil
Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
If you imagine having a Top Gear type of road trip with empty roads and mountain passes, then you'll be disappointed. When filming on specific roads (e.g. Stelvio pass) rather than on an generic one (say. A motorway), they generally block the road to film the piece. If it's quick bendy ribbons of asphalt/tarmac you're after, then you'd probably better off looking for less popular routes.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
If you imagine having a Top Gear type of road trip with empty roads and mountain passes, then you'll be disappointed. When filming on specific roads (e.g. Stelvio pass) rather than on an generic one (say. A motorway), they generally block the road to film the piece. If it's quick bendy ribbons of asphalt/tarmac you're after, then you'd probably better off looking for less popular routes.
Oh, I know there will be traffic - not super concerned about that. However, the second part of your post is exactly what I'm after - what else is there that I can add to the route?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you seen this book?
Classic Motorsport Routes: 30 Legendary Routes You Can Drive Today by Richard Meaden
Available on Amazon.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:37 pm

I have no advice to offer. I've only driven in the UK and Greece and relied on trains, etc all over the rest of Europe. I just wanted to say I'm so jealous, that sounds like an amazing trip.

Have fun!!

Last edited by MissJ; Jan 21, 2018 at 1:33 pm
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
Have you seen this book?
Classic Motorsport Routes: 30 Legendary Routes You Can Drive Today by Richard Meaden
Available on Amazon.
I have not, but I'll check it out - thanks.

Holy balls, it's expensive!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: *G, OWS
Not sure why you'd want to visit Lichtenstein - unless to cross the country off your list or you're visiting your money
Switzerland has probably some of the strictest speed limits combined with the highes fines - for that reason I'd avoid it as far as possible for a "driving" vacation....
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frogster
Not sure why you'd want to visit Lichtenstein - unless to cross the country off your list or you're visiting your money
The former I've been around there so many times, it feels like an itch that just won't go away
Switzerland has probably some of the strictest speed limits combined with the highes fines - for that reason I'd avoid it as far as possible for a "driving" vacation....
Eh. You can have fun and not drive fast. Especially in the twisties, where it's prudent you don't. I'd driven the St. Bernard pass before, but it was in zero visibility during March...yeah, that was NOT fun.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'd include the Gavia Pass and the Mortirolo pass. As you'd be so close to them anyways. They're both very scenic, and the Mortirolo is incredibly steep.

I would do a mix of 1 and two, but would not fly into Rome, but into Milan or Venice. The drive to Rome is incredibly long and a ton of motorway driving.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thomas199023
I'd include the Gavia Pass and the Mortirolo pass. As you'd be so close to them anyways. They're both very scenic, and the Mortirolo is incredibly steep.

I would do a mix of 1 and two, but would not fly into Rome, but into Milan or Venice. The drive to Rome is incredibly long and a ton of motorway driving.
Thanks!

If Emirates are running their $400 JFK-MXP sale again, this becomes a no-brainer. But otherwise Rome + train or Munich work for me. Really dislike flying, so would rather make it as straightforward as possible, with as few stops as I can.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by highlanderfil
I have not, but I'll check it out - thanks.

Holy balls, it's expensive!
Whoa. No kidding. It's gone out of print. I got it for maybe USD 17.
Sorry. Maybe put it on a wishlist and someone will gift it to you
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
Whoa. No kidding. It's gone out of print. I got it for maybe USD 17.
Sorry. Maybe put it on a wishlist and someone will gift it to you
It's cool - I might be able to find a digital version. Appreciate the idea!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:18 am
Original Poster

So here's a question I never thought I'd have to contend with, but here we are: are there sites similar to Google Maps that do not let seasonality factor into whether or not they show driving directions? All the passes are closed now, so Google treats them as such and refuses to calculate directions.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:29 am

I tried a couple and just changed the "depart at" date and they came up just fine. Hope that works for you.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJ
I tried a couple and just changed the "depart at" date and they came up just fine. Hope that works for you.
It did, thank you! They must have fixed something - this workaround didn't work last week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.