Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Croatia - 3 weeks in Sept.

Old Dec 25, 17, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM

I am planning a 3 week trip to Croatia this coming September. Iím in the very preliminary planning stage and would appreciate any tips! Iíd fly into Zagreb and stay 2 nights then drive to Split, stay in an apartment for a week or more and use Split as a base to explore by car and go to some islands. Maybe drive to Dubrovnik for a few days? Then drive to the Istrian peninsula and stay in an apartment for a week. My grandparents are originally from Croatia (arrived in the US around 1910 from near Split and Fuzine) so I am hoping to do a little exploring and get a feel for Croatia.
Thanks in advance for any tips, advice, suggestions, etc. Really appreciate the helpful FT community!
Old Dec 30, 17, 8:51 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: LH, DL
So many options

September is be a great month, fewer tourists, but more chance of rain.
First some general comments
- after Zagreb consider driving to Istria next traveling south and departing from Dubrovnik, rather than looping around back north if car rental costs are not prohibitive with drop off.
- consider focus on Istria (to Split) or just the Dalamtian coast, less driving more exploring
- consider staying on a Dalamtian island for 4-5 days.
- When on the coast/island, apartments right on the water are the way to go when within walking distance of the town.
- if going in one direction (north to south), once in Split consider using bus and ferry to go further south.
-- Split has day tour companies, which include island trips available in September, so easy to see many sites
--Websites are in English and easy to book in advance. However schedules are less frequent beginning to mid September so may not work as well.
General itinerary advice
-Plitvice National Park - awesome should try not to miss.
- Zadar - while not my favorite (spent many summers here) others love it, good place to stop while driving the coastal road.
- Split - get an apartment in the old city walls if not too concerned about cost, it is quite a treat
- National Park Krka if you miss Plitvice, there is great day trip from Split
- Korcula my favorite island -beautiful with old city, bike riding, wine tasting, swimming.
- Mjlet is a great day trip from Korcula or Dubrovnik if one likes hiking or biking (caution pick the correct ferry stop)

- If you decide on visiting Split or Korcula feel PM me for specific recommendations. But one does not seem to go wrong with Superhosts on AirBnb
Old Dec 31, 17, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Thank You GMTmin8 for your detailed response and suggestions. That's exactly the type of info I was hoping to get! So, a few more questions...would you recommend Istria-Split-Korcula and day trips from Split with an arrival and departure from ZAG? Or would you recommend an arrival in ZAG, drive to Split, then bus/ferries heading south ending in Dubrovnik (with I assume a flight back to Zagreb for departure?)
I liked the suggestion about staying within the old city walls in Split and envision Split and surrounding areas as one of my main focus areas. Would it be difficult to have a rental car in this area as far as parking goes?
I will PM you regarding Split and Korcula and appreciate the offer of specific recommendations as I'm always happy to rely on other's experiences! Thank You!
Old Dec 31, 17, 9:07 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

It is difficult to recommend a specific routing without knowing one's travel style. I plan in one direction to not lose one day just getting between two destinations.
In Split , look for apartments actually IN the walls (these were built for soldiers as the walls were built) not just other buildings inside the walls.
I have been told by relatives that parking in Split is awful but I have never rented a car myself in Croatia. Others with more familiarity could give you better information.
Enjoy the planning and the trip, Croatia has many wonderful places to visit and the people are friendly, easy going and interesting. .
Old Jan 4, 18, 3:56 pm

Programs: WN A list CP, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire, National EE
I was able to find parking in Split in the middle of July during the height of the tourist season, so you should be OK in September. Split airport has regular flights from most European airports, so it might easier to just fly there instead of Zagreb.
In Split, I would visit the Marjan hill and Klis fortress among other things. Also, I would try to visit all the little coastal towns between Split and Sibenik when you drive the Adriatic coastal road, with Rogoznica and Primosten being the main attractions. A small inland town called Drnis (70km from Split, 35 km from Sibenik), usually has a Prosciutto Festival in September, so that would be worth seeing, especially since not many tourists see the inland areas of Dalmatia.
Old Jan 4, 18, 10:16 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Putnik View Post
I ... I would try to visit all the little coastal towns between Split and Sibenik when you drive the Adriatic coastal road, with Rogoznica and Primosten ....
Having been to Primosten and Sibenik, I would echo Travelerís recommendations.
Old Jan 5, 18, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Putnik for your suggestions. Zagreb is not our main focus so it makes sense to try and fly into Split instead. I will look into that. Also love the idea of attending the Prosciutto Festival, what's not to like? I'll see if I can find more information about it online! Thanks!
I think we will focus on the Dalmatian coast and islands between Split and Dubrovnik but still haven't given up on the idea of trying to visit at least a portion of the Istrian peninsula. Maybe that will be more feasible if we fly into Split instead of Zagreb?
Old Jan 5, 18, 1:38 pm

Zagreb is actually closer to Istria than Split is. In 3 weeks, I think you should be able to visit all of the areas from Dubrovnik to Istria, it will be a lot of time spent on the road, but the views are worth it.
Old Jan 5, 18, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by GMTmin8 View Post

Having been to Primosten and Sibenik, I would echo Travelerís recommendations.
I wanted to pick traveler as my name but it was already taken, so I'd have to put a random number after it. Putnik, surprisingly, was not taken.