Wiki Posts
Search

Beer at Schiphol Airport Duty Free?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by robcheshire
Personally, I highly doubt that a Duty Free store in a major airport is going to refuse to stock a product line for fear of hurting revenue at a bar or restaurant that is under different ownership.
That's not the way I would think about it. Stores have a contract with the airport's operator. That contract specifies which goods the store may and may not sell.

The operator certainly has strong incentives not to grant shops the right to sell beverages (particularly, cold and hot beverages) on the cheap, as it would cannibalize the revenue it generates from restaurants, pubs, and coffee shops.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by 1flyer
That's not the way I would think about it. Stores have a contract with the airport's operator. That contract specifies which goods the store may and may not sell.

The operator certainly has strong incentives not to grant shops the right to sell beverages (particularly, cold and hot beverages) on the cheap, as it would cannibalize the revenue it generates from restaurants, pubs, and coffee shops.
Surely we're not talking apples and apples here?

Duty-free shops sell goods in sealed bags not to be opened until boarded. Bars sell booze to consume in the airport and cannot be taken on board. They are usually subject to local taxes or will reflect the cost of service.

Where's the conflict?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:22 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by farci
Where's the conflict?
Come on, man, you're from the UK, where I frequently see people drinking at airports as early as 6 o'clock in the morning.

It seems to me many craft beers are stored cold. (At least here, the grocery stores always seem to keep them in refrigerators.) If, at the duty free, they sold that beer substantially cheaper than at pubs, obviously people would open the bags and drink it...

I know at some places, you only get your duty-free items upon boarding. If that's the case, my point would be moot, sure.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:54 am
Original Poster

I'm certainly not looking to crack open a couple of six packs on the flight (or in the airport) and get drunk. It's just difficult to find some of the better beers from Belgium in the states and when you do, its for $8 a bottle.

Going out to land-side really isn't an option for me, so I'll make do.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by 1flyer
I know at some places, you only get your duty-free items upon boarding. If that's the case, my point would be moot, sure.
A bit off-topic, but that's the norm for mixed domestic/international terminals. Duty free stores have a mandate to ensure all duty free purchases do in fact leave the country rather than changing hands between an international and a domestic passenger.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by farci
Duty-free shops sell goods in sealed bags not to be opened until boarded.
AFAIK sealed duty-free bags containing fluids are not to be opened until you reach your final destination.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by nomad1972
A bit off-topic, but that's the norm for mixed domestic/international terminals. Duty free stores have a mandate to ensure all duty free purchases do in fact leave the country rather than changing hands between an international and a domestic passenger.
That's a bit moot, given that within Europe, all airports have PAX flying "domestic" (within EU, and therefore not eligible to buy duty-free products) and "international" sharing the same terminal(s).

AFAIK sealed duty-free bags containing fluids are not to be opened until you reach your final destination.
This is obviously not enforced in any way, it is only ever relevant if you need to transit at an airport and pass a security check, there is nothing stopping you from opening it up and drinking the content before you even board your first flight!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
That's a bit moot, given that within Europe, all airports have PAX flying "domestic" (within EU, and therefore not eligible to buy duty-free products) and "international" sharing the same terminal(s).
That's not how most duty free shops work in the EU space. A while back all shops used to show different prices depending on the destination of the passenger. This used to create quite a stir and the shops moved to a new, 'blended' price model - everyone pays the same price and the shops makes higher profits on goods sold to international passengers than they make on goods sold to EU passengers. This model is in use at CDG, AMS and others.

World of Duty Free at LHR chose to still show two separate prices, one for EU passengers and the other for international passengers.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
This is obviously not enforced in any way, it is only ever relevant if you need to transit at an airport and pass a security check, there is nothing stopping you from opening it up and drinking the content before you even board your first flight!
The fact that they're not or are selectively enforced doesn't mean the rules are not there.

10+ years ago I was on a Delta flight from JFK to OTP and by the middle of the flight a significant number of passengers started to pop open their duty free stashes. The crew showed zero tolerance and had everyone put their purchases back in the overheads. Two passengers who refused to do it were in fact arrested on arrival.

Same scenario happened on an Alitalia from YYZ to FCO and the crew's reaction was the complete opposite. They joined in the party and shared a couple of drinks with the passengers.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:15 am

The fact that they're not or are selectively enforced doesn't mean the rules are not there.

10+ years ago I was on a Delta flight from JFK to OTP and by the middle of the flight a significant number of passengers started to pop open their duty free stashes. The crew showed zero tolerance and had everyone put their purchases back in the overheads. Two passengers who refused to do it were in fact arrested on arrival.

Same scenario happened on an Alitalia from YYZ to FCO and the crew's reaction was the complete opposite. They joined in the party and shared a couple of drinks with the passengers.
But that has nothing to do with why they are sealed in a plastic bag, you do realize perfumes and other liquid products are also sealed in a plastic bag?

Each airline might have different regulations and each cabin crew might have different tolerance to PAX consuming their own alcoholic drinks on board, and this is irrelevant for the discussion about PAX drinking a beer bought in the duty-free shop in the airport terminal before boarding their flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.