Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Coastal towns/hotels for Athens stopover

Old Oct 25, 17, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold

I need to top up my A3 operated flights for the year to retain my M&P membership for another year. To do this, I'll be stopping over in Athens en-route to Cairo next week.

My schedule means I'll be staying one night. I'm scheduled to arrive on A3883 at 21:30 and depart on A31302 (MS748) at 16:00 the next day.

I'd like to find a quiet town/hotel near the airport to have a relaxing nice and catch up on some work before my flight the following afternoon.

I'm thinking Rafia may be a good option. I believe this is the coast you fly over when taking-off/landing immediately to the north of ATH? It looks like a pleasant place from the air! Is it a nice place or are there better options nearby? Ideally I'm looking for something a ~20-30mins Uber ride away from the airport.

It'd be a bonus if someone knew a relaxed hotel/airbnb that'd be likely to be fine for a late (2pm) checkout, but maybe it's a little too hopeful that someone can be that specific!

Thanks in advance for any experience/help,

John
Old Oct 25, 17, 9:14 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Rafina is indeed a coastal town that you fly past. As far as I know its not known for its high end hotels, but there are some mid-level places. I have no experience with any unfortunately.

Busses to Rafina are listed here, and depart from the road in front of Sofitel (basically one road down from where the normal busses leave from). Alternatively you can (of course) take a taxi or Uber to Rafina.

I would suggest to also consider going into Athens. The trip to the city takes a little longer (30-40 minutes by car) but you'll have a much larger selection of hotels - and the next day you'll have the opportunity to do/see some things in the city. Rafina is, I expect, a bit boring for almost a full day.

One other detail, that perhaps you are already aware of: A31302/MS748 will not count as an 'Aegean segment' for qualification purposes (as it is operated by MS). It will get you miles (if the MS fare allows them), but not count as one of the 4 Aegean segments.
Old Oct 25, 17, 9:58 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, Accor Plus Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Platinum
A3883 count as a segment
A31302 not count as a segment
Old Oct 25, 17, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Yep, understood that the second flight doesn't count as an A3 segment. I'll be picking up more A3 segments on the way back from Cairo.

Thanks for the advice re: heading in to central Athens for more hotels. I've been to central Athens previously (and liked it) but this time my focus is a quiet sleep, a bit of sea air and a relaxing place to work the first half of the day (with a sea view if possible). I'm not a fan of luxury hotels, so that's not a need - mid-range hotels/airbnbs are just fine. If there are nicer coastal towns than Rafia near the airport I'd like to find them.

Thanks,

John
Old Oct 25, 17, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by itfcfan View Post
{snip...} If there are nicer coastal towns than Rafia near the airport I'd like to find them.
Porto Rafti is certainly nicer than Rafina, but dead this time of year. Had a nice lunch in one of the tevernas there last November. It should be a 15 minutes drive from the airport (15 km).
Old Oct 26, 17, 6:31 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
As this is a question relating to suitable places for an overnight stay rather than A3 per se, we'll move it over to the dedicated Europe forum where there is likely to be more widespread expertise to assist the OP.

/mod
Old Oct 26, 17, 5:14 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, Iberia Plus Gold
Originally Posted by itfcfan View Post
I need to top up my A3 operated flights for the year to retain my M&P membership for another year. To do this, I'll be stopping over in Athens en-route to Cairo next week.

My schedule means I'll be staying one night. I'm scheduled to arrive on A3883 at 21:30 and depart on A31302 (MS748) at 16:00 the next day.

I'd like to find a quiet town/hotel near the airport to have a relaxing nice and catch up on some work before my flight the following afternoon.

I'm thinking Rafia may be a good option. I believe this is the coast you fly over when taking-off/landing immediately to the north of ATH? It looks like a pleasant place from the air! Is it a nice place or are there better options nearby? Ideally I'm looking for something a ~20-30mins Uber ride away from the airport.

It'd be a bonus if someone knew a relaxed hotel/airbnb that'd be likely to be fine for a late (2pm) checkout, but maybe it's a little too hopeful that someone can be that specific!

Thanks in advance for any experience/help,

John
I stayed at Avra Refina hotel this week. Not luxurious but enough for one night and the room rate (45 euros) included a complimentary bus transfer from and to the aiport + breakfast.
Old Oct 30, 17, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information and suggestions.

I found an Airbnb in Porto Rafti for ~60EUR and it was just what I was looking for. It was a 20min/15EUR Uber from the airport and the apartment I stayed in faced directly on to the sea. A nice warm balcony to work from this morning and a brunch at one of the sea-side restaurant/bistros. It's sleepy in the area at this time of year, but that was more of a positive than a negative for my overnight!

If anyone is in a similar situation to the one I described at the start of this thread I recommend Porto Rafti - it's a pleasant place and there are a bunch of Airbnbs to choose from.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: