Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece: seeking itinerary suggestion

Old Oct 20, 17, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXEC PLT 2 MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXPL, Accor SLV, BW DIA, IHG PLT, UA GLD

Hi Everyone.

Just booked last minute 2 week trip to Athens leaving Tuesday Oct 24. Learned that Saturday Oct 28 is Ochi day national holiday and I understand everything in Athens will be closed so it sounded like a good travel day. Was thinking of spending 3 nights in Athens on arrival, traveling someplace Oct 28 and returning to Athens Nov 1 or 2 for a few days before I fly home Tuesday Nov 8.

Traveling solo. Basically a city girl--I prefer culture and exploring non-touristy local shops to beaches. Would like to experience an island or two but I need more things to do besides hiking, sitting on a beach or just sitting around in cafes for 4-5 days. (I'm retired so I can relax at home)

So I'm looking for a suggestion of an island accessible by ferry (if possible prefer ferry to flying) that has a decent size town which might have a few museums open this time of year. Good bus service to see other towns on the island. Maybe near some smaller islands where I can take a day trip by ferry. I don't want to rent a car, do want someplace with few American/European tourists. Very local, very Greek, and low key. No loud parties. Beautiful.

Iím overwhelmed with the option Iím reading about. Thought about Spetses with day trip to Hydra but the museums are closed and there doesn't seem to be enough to do there (if you disagree, please let me know). What about Syros with day trips to some neighboring islands? Or just bite the bullet and fly to Thessoloniki?

Appreciate suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 20, 17, 9:51 pm

Your travel days are at the very end of the tourist season, so many places may be already closed, especially in smaller islands (was the case at the small island I spent one week at in the beginning of this month). Moreover, as this is the season when winter storms start (not often but not rare either), relying of ferryboats may be tricky (almost missed my departure from the small island a couple of weeks ago). Finally, "museums" is a relative term: Good museums can "only" be found on a few islands, the others are often mini museums where you spend a maximum of on e hour. With all of the above in mind, here are my suggestions.

A. Big islands (best if you get a rental car, doable by local busses too)

A1 Crete (Heraklion or Chania or both -by bus). Plenty of things to do, lots of museums and archeological sites, reachable by sea and air. This time of year you could only reach Kythera from Kastelli. Only drawback, not an "Island feeling".

A2 Corfu. Smaller than the previous one, different from any other island, you could also go to Paxoi. Reachable by air and bus/ferry.

A3 Rhodes. Size-wise similar to A2, again things to see a few islands to visit close-by (e.g Nisyros, Sami, etc.)

A4 Lesvos or Chios. I've never been there, supposedly very nice, visits to Turkish coast cities/sites possible.

B. Smaller islands (rental car fine, I'd prefer a scooter, though)

B1 Cyclades. I'd suggest Syros or Paros or Naxos. All three "big" enough to guarantee that a few places will still be open. Santorini is stunning, the other islands my be just too small. All reachable by ferry, some by air as well.

B2 Ionian islands. I'd go for Cephalonia, big and things to do, certainly not everything closed and Ithaca is next door. Air or bus/ferry combination.

C. Northern Aegean islands. Little gems, but too far to get there. Reachable by air and then ferry boat.

I hope you can now start your own research, though you don't have much time for planning!
Old Oct 23, 17, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXEC PLT 2 MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXPL, Accor SLV, BW DIA, IHG PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Your travel days are at the very end of the tourist season, so many places may be already closed, especially in smaller islands (was the case at the small island I spent one week at in the beginning of this month). Moreover, as this is the season when winter storms start (not often but not rare either), relying of ferryboats may be tricky (almost missed my departure from the small island a couple of weeks ago). Finally, "museums" is a relative term: Good museums can "only" be found on a few islands, the others are often mini museums where you spend a maximum of on e hour. With all of the above in mind, here are my suggestions.

A. Big islands (best if you get a rental car, doable by local busses too)

A1 Crete (Heraklion or Chania or both -by bus). Plenty of things to do, lots of museums and archeological sites, reachable by sea and air. This time of year you could only reach Kythera from Kastelli. Only drawback, not an "Island feeling".

A2 Corfu. Smaller than the previous one, different from any other island, you could also go to Paxoi. Reachable by air and bus/ferry.

A3 Rhodes. Size-wise similar to A2, again things to see a few islands to visit close-by (e.g Nisyros, Sami, etc.)

A4 Lesvos or Chios. I've never been there, supposedly very nice, visits to Turkish coast cities/sites possible.

B. Smaller islands (rental car fine, I'd prefer a scooter, though)

B1 Cyclades. I'd suggest Syros or Paros or Naxos. All three "big" enough to guarantee that a few places will still be open. Santorini is stunning, the other islands my be just too small. All reachable by ferry, some by air as well.

B2 Ionian islands. I'd go for Cephalonia, big and things to do, certainly not everything closed and Ithaca is next door. Air or bus/ferry combination.

C. Northern Aegean islands. Little gems, but too far to get there. Reachable by air and then ferry boat.

I hope you can now start your own research, though you don't have much time for planning!
Thanks for your thorough analysis. Seems like not the best time for the islands so I'm going to Thessaloniki. I'll try to come back next June and do a few islands. Appreciate your insight.

Search this Thread