FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TURKEY & USA REINSTATE VISA SERVICE! 28 Dec 2017

Link to Bloomberg article.

The visa exclusion no longer applies.

Announcement from Turkish Airlines:

https://p.turkishairlines.com/en-us/news-press-release/index.html

Parallel discussion in Turkish Airlines forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1871028-us-turkey-suspend-visa-issuance.html

Another parallel discussion in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1870979-u-s-halts-some-visa-services-turkey.html
Print Wikipost

Turkey suspends all visa (and evisa) services at Turkish missions in the US

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ac-ua
Hello

i am currently in the UK trying to fly to Istanbul on previously obtained e-visa as an American passport holder. However, the Turkish Airlines folks told me I can only stay airside, and Americans entering Turkey from third-countries, despite holding e-visas that are valid will still need a actual visa stamp in the passport from a Turkish Embassy/Consulate. Is this true?

If I can get on the flight, should I try for visa on landing? Would love any advice! Thanks much!
My understanding is that if you already have a visa, you are fine.

I just transited IST on Monday morning. I went to get a visa on arrival, standing behind a gentleman from Boston, who had a similar layover on his way home from Jakarta. I watched when he was told flat out he couldn't get a visa under those circumstances, so I didn't even bother.

So we both went to the Turkish lounge and asked for sleeping rooms, only to be told that our layovers were too long to qualify. They could give me a hotel room, but I'd have to get my own visa.

The two countries really need to settle this and get back to normal relations. Unfair to citizens of both countries who are caught up in these political games.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:36 am

you can get now

You can get it now easily
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by Planet2see
You can get it now easily
You still can't purchase a Turkish e-Visa online.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Looks like you are now able to apply for Visas at Consulates and Embassies

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#1350ac573003

I went ahead and made an appointment for the New York Consulate on 12/21. There are very few spots left available so if you want to go this year, make an appointment ASAP
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Update on getting a Visa in Person:

I'm up in New York now, I flew up today for my 3 PM interview. They had my picture on a piece of paper with the lobby guard and then the guard at the consulate office. The second guard issued a piece of paper DMV style. After a half hour I was called up to the window and I handed over my printed visa application, ticket confirmation emails, hotel confirmation email and $160 in cash. I hadn't brought a picture but they had a set up where an employee would take yours on the spot for $13. I was told the Visa would be issued but it couldn't be issued the same day and it'll be available for pick up tomorrow between 2 and 4 or it can be mailed to me for $31. The agent didn't ask me any questions about my application, background or travel plans. Minus the headache of not getting it the same day, it was relatively painless.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How long is it valid for?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
No idea I don't have it yet
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by TomMM
Passport came in the mail today so I can answer your question. The validity of the Visa is from 12/22 (the date it was issued) until 3/22/2018. It's marked as a Single Entry, 60 Day Visa
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like things might be resolved:

The United States and Turkey announced Thursday an end to visa restrictions that have affected thousands of travelers, but tensions continued to fester as Turkish officials disputed a U.S. account of how the crisis was resolved.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.4fe5fe061f92

UPDATE: Just checked Turkey's eVisa site and it is allowing US Passport holders to apply.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Link to Bloomberg article

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.