FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TURKEY & USA REINSTATE VISA SERVICE! 28 Dec 2017

Link to Bloomberg article.

The visa exclusion no longer applies.

Announcement from Turkish Airlines:

https://p.turkishairlines.com/en-us/news-press-release/index.html

Parallel discussion in Turkish Airlines forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1871028-us-turkey-suspend-visa-issuance.html

Another parallel discussion in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1870979-u-s-halts-some-visa-services-turkey.html
Print Wikipost

Turkey suspends all visa (and evisa) services at Turkish missions in the US

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
If you're under 1 ticket (PNR) and the connection is within 24 hours you're absolutely fine, as stated officially by Turkish Airlines.

I would also recommend booking TAV hotel (airside) for extra comfort, I can guarantee those rooms are in high demand now, please reserve the airside rooms if you're impacted by visa suspension

http://www.ataturkairport.com/en-EN/...portHotel.aspx
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
My mother and I have a trip planned to visit Turkey end of November. We are both dual citizens of the US and a country which is visa exempt in Turkey for tourists. Any problem entering and leaving Turkey with that country's passport?

Last edited by FlyingFrZ; Oct 13, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I have 3 days in Athens, can an American get a tourist visa at the Embassy there?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:58 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
My mother and I have a trip planned to visit Turkey end of November. We are both dual citizens of the US and a country which is visa exempt in Turkey for tourists. Any problem entering and leaving Turkey with that country's passport?
Is there any way Turkey might know you are US citizens? If not, then I can't imagine how there would be any problem. Even if Turkey did know (born in the US, entered on US passport before), I would guess that the likelihood of any problems would be close to zero. If your other citizenship country qualifies for visa-free entry, then it must be a country with which Turkey is friendly.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by :D!
Is there any way Turkey might know you are US citizens? If not, then I can't imagine how there would be any problem. Even if Turkey did know (born in the US, entered on US passport before), I would guess that the likelihood of any problems would be close to zero. If your other citizenship country qualifies for visa-free entry, then it must be a country with which Turkey is friendly.
Thanks for the reply. I am a natural born US citizen, but my mother is naturalized. She has lived here for 40 years now though.

My understanding is that Turkey has not explicitly barred US citizens from entering the country, but rather just won't issue a new visa for US passports. I agree with you that technically there should not be a problem entering and leaving Turkey with our other passport, its just we have never done anything like this before so I was just a bit concerned.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Thanks for the reply. I am a natural born US citizen, but my mother is naturalized. She has lived here for 40 years now though.

My understanding is that Turkey has not explicitly barred US citizens from entering the country, but rather just won't issue a new visa for US passports. I agree with you that technically there should not be a problem entering and leaving Turkey with our other passport, its just we have never done anything like this before so I was just a bit concerned.
I also have 2 passports (US and another), the non-US passport gives me free online visa and I have been using my second passport in and out of Turkey since.

Like what others have said, it's not the issue of being US citizen, it's the issue of getting a new visa if you're US citizen.

Last edited by vincewy; Oct 16, 2017 at 11:01 am
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy
I also have 2 passports (US and another), the non-US passport gives me free online visa and I have been using my second passport in and out of Turkey since.

Like what others have said, it's not the issue of being US citizen, it's the issue of getting a new visa if you're US citizen.
Awesome, thanks for the info
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:00 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I planned to visit Turkey between Christmas and New Years. I have an award ticket with Delta/KLM then a cash ticket to fly onto Greece on Turkish. I didn't bother to get my Visa of course so now it's looking like I won't be going. I'm going to give this a few weeks and if nothing changes figure out a different place to visit. Great timing
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I planned to visit Turkey between Christmas and New Years. I have an award ticket with Delta/KLM then a cash ticket to fly onto Greece on Turkish. I didn't bother to get my Visa of course so now it's looking like I won't be going. I'm going to give this a few weeks and if nothing changes figure out a different place to visit. Great timing
If you transit a third country it appears you can still get a visa on arrival. Since neither Delta nor KLM fly direct from US I assume you are transiting some third country so you *should* be ok based on folks experiences but it seems hard to get an official answer. See more here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turk...-issuance.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...-Istanbul.html (see post 107 in particular)

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/ent...ring-visa-ban/

Last edited by 36902BRF; Oct 23, 2017 at 8:06 pm Reason: Edited to add third link
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
If you transit a third country it appears you can still get a visa on arrival.
As you stated, it doesn't appear very official at this point. It looks like for my trip, ORD-IST-BKK (9 days)-IST-ORD, it's worth at least trying to get a visa on arrival on the way back from BKK. Assuming nothing is resolved by the end of November.

I guess worst case is I spend 9 hours in the lounge .
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by JBord
As you stated, it doesn't appear very official at this point. It looks like for my trip, ORD-IST-BKK (9 days)-IST-ORD, it's worth at least trying to get a visa on arrival on the way back from BKK. Assuming nothing is resolved by the end of November.

I guess worst case is I spend 9 hours in the lounge .
Yeah I agree my intended destination albeit in February is Istanbul and I am still on the fence about trying my luck with my already scheduled transit, adding in a 24+ hour layover or just bagging Turkey and making some other arrangements (it is mostly done on points so cancellation costs would not be major). I am going to let it play out a little longer though if this isn't resolved or on the way to resolution by mid-November I'll probably just change my plans.

Edit: Rereading the TPG article it does appear that transit passengers are excluded from visa on arrival.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Oct 24, 2017 at 2:22 pm
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by vincewy
If you're under 1 ticket (PNR) and the connection is within 24 hours you're absolutely fine, as stated officially by Turkish Airlines.
By contrast, at least according to KL/AF/DL, a sub-24hr. connection with a separate PNR is not ticketable. I've been on the phone with them for about 45 mins now and they aren't budging even though I've told them I've prepared to show proof of an onward flight at checkin (or immediately if they insist).

Interestingly, the KL website allowed me to buy a $20 option on the IAH-IST discounted r/t J fare noted in the Premium Fares Mileage Run thread, so I may have a leg up on this. But frankly, I don't think anyone knows what's going on on the ground, so naturally the airlines are running scared, except TK.

ADDENDUM: After being routed to web support and enduring 15 minute hold, ticket was issued with no questions or complications. I hope the visa problem becomes a moot point by the time I fly at the end of March. If not, we shall see.

Last edited by mczlaw; Oct 25, 2017 at 1:32 pm Reason: Update info
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by mczlaw
By contrast, at least according to KL/AF/DL, a sub-24hr. connection with a separate PNR is not ticketable. I've been on the phone with them for about 45 mins now and they aren't budging even though I've told them I've prepared to show proof of an onward flight at checkin (or immediately if they insist).
Since when does entry requirements to a country have anything to do with ticketing? In fact, many countries require you to have a valid ticket to be able to apply for a visa in the first place...

You may not be able to check-in or board the aircraft, but that is a different story.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Ditto
Since when does entry requirements to a country have anything to do with ticketing? In fact, many countries require you to have a valid ticket to be able to apply for a visa in the first place...

You may not be able to check-in or board the aircraft, but that is a different story.
See ADDENDUM to my original post. Best I can do is have proof of onward travel. I'll give myself plenty of time at IAH to deal with any checkin/IDB issues...assuming Trump and Erdogan are still thumping their chests at one another when I'm planning to fly.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1k, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Hello

i am currently in the UK trying to fly to Istanbul on previously obtained e-visa as an American passport holder. However, the Turkish Airlines folks told me I can only stay airside, and Americans entering Turkey from third-countries, despite holding e-visas that are valid will still need a actual visa stamp in the passport from a Turkish Embassy/Consulate. Is this true?

If I can get on the flight, should I try for visa on landing? Would love any advice! Thanks much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.