FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Best way to get to Corfu (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1870901-best-way-get-corfu.html)

njvj Oct 8, 2017 9:14 am

Best way to get to Corfu

We are looking at a spring break trip to Corfu from North Carolina. The flights are ~$800-$1000 more than flying to Athens. We would like to avoid Athens on this trip and fly directly from our European point of arrival to Corfu. What are the best cities with direct flights to Corfu? Any idea on how to minimize the costs?
thanks

STBCypriot Oct 8, 2017 2:58 pm

You can try some of the LLCs like Ryanair or Easy Jet. But that would put you in a buy two tickets scenario with no protection if your first flight is delayed.

KLouis Oct 8, 2017 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by njvj (Post 28907250)
We are looking at a spring break trip to Corfu from North Carolina. The flights are ~$800-$1000 more than flying to Athens. We would like to avoid Athens on this trip and fly directly from our European point of arrival to Corfu. What are the best cities with direct flights to Corfu? Any idea on how to minimize the costs?
thanks

Another two-ticket scenario would be a *A airline to ATH (I know, I know, you want to avoid it...) and then A3 to CFU. Return tickets to CFU from ATH can cost from as little as €19 to ~€200. The advantage is that you could ask to check your bag to CFU directly from your departure airport. *A airline agents usually do this for you, even if not obliged, provided you already have your BC for the connecting flight.

TheMadeTraveler Oct 9, 2017 5:36 am

Originally Posted by njvj (Post 28907250)
thanks

Direct flight from North Carolina to Corfu, I think it is not possible. It is better to select route from NC to London and London to Corfu.

njvj Oct 9, 2017 7:25 am

Thanks all. I think I may have to go through Athens. For whatever reason, when I look to book the tickets separately, i.e. the USA- ATH as one ticket and ATH to CFU as another, it's much cheaper. So, we will be going through Athens it appears. Certainly not the end of the world. I do wish there were more flights directly to Athens from the US. I was going to take Emirates but I have been told that their seats in coach are uncomfortable. :-(
Thanks for the help!

mvarghese84 Oct 9, 2017 11:32 am

Originally Posted by njvj (Post 28910659)
Thanks all. I think I may have to go through Athens. For whatever reason, when I look to book the tickets separately, i.e. the USA- ATH as one ticket and ATH to CFU as another, it's much cheaper. So, we will be going through Athens it appears. Certainly not the end of the world. I do wish there were more flights directly to Athens from the US. I was going to take Emirates but I have been told that their seats in coach are uncomfortable. :-(
Thanks for the help!

I wish there was too. Im flying out of RDU and going Delta to CDG, then Air France to ATH, then ATH to JTR later that afternoon.

krispy84 Oct 10, 2017 5:32 am

Are your dates fixed? BA fly to Corfu from LHR starting in late Apr 18. I think you'll struggle to find a non-LCC flying to Corfu outside the summer schedule. From memory LH were the only other major carrier there last summer.

UKtravelbear Oct 10, 2017 7:37 am

Originally Posted by njvj (Post 28910659)
Thanks for the help!

Remember whilst this may be cheaper there are risks involved. Look upon the extra cost as insurance.

If your flight from the US is late for example and you miss the next flight then neither airline is under an obligation to rebook you onto a later flight and you may very well have to buy replacement flights which on the day won't be cheap.

Have a play with something like google flights and see what options are available.

AA to LHR then BA to CFU could be a possibility as could say DL to AMS or CDG then KLM or AF to CFU.

Adventographer Oct 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Having just been through Athens I'd suggest you fly to ATH and then look at local carriers for a flight to Corfu. I flew to both Rhodes and Santorini from athens for ~40euro each round trip (ryanair & olympic air). you're getting hosed booking the connection through your transatlantic carrier.

KLouis Oct 13, 2017 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Adventographer (Post 28917424)
Having just been through Athens I'd suggest you fly to ATH and then look at local carriers for a flight to Corfu. I flew to both Rhodes and Santorini from athens for ~40euro each round trip (ryanair & olympic air). you're getting hosed booking the connection through your transatlantic carrier.

No need to book through the transatlantic carrier. Both Ryanair and Olympic can be booked through the internet. As a matter of fact, looking for a local carrier and standing on line to buy the ticket (can this be done with Ryanair?) and then standing on line to checkin (can this be done cheaply with Ryanair?) is the wrong way to go as one may miss a connection through the waiting.