Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Negative experience Brussels customs

Old Oct 6, 17, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I just wanted to share this evening experience with Brussels customs. I'm flying out of this airport quite a lot, and this time just wanted to have a tax refund. I went to the customs office, waited for them to show up. An annoyed looking character comes, doesn't even ask anything, grabs my receipt and tax free form, and stamps it with a big red "refused" stamp. I was shocked. I asked him why- and he said I didn't fill my form properly. When I asked him why didn't he just tell me to fill the missing details he just yelled at me -" that's procedure!".
I'm amazed at this behavior. Never have I seen such unwelcoming behavior at an airport.
Any suggestions as to what should I do?
Old Oct 13, 17, 4:24 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I suppose the best solution would be to fill out another form correctly and submit it again.
Old Oct 13, 17, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tomergo View Post
Any suggestions as to what should I do?
You should have just filled in a new form - properly - there and then.

Assuming you have now left the EU area with the goods I'm not sure you can make a retrospective claim as generally you need to show the goods.

You could write to the Customs people but you'd likely only get a very generic 'sorry' and perhaps a pointed reminder to fill in your form coreectly!

Search this Thread