Wiki Posts
Search

Mobile internet: Pocket Wifi

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Mobile internet: Pocket Wifi

Hi all,
I am traveling with my friends to Europe at the end of September 2017. We start off in Norway, then Italy and Monaco for 10 days. We want to avoid roaming from our US mobile company, but we want to keep connected to the internet. I heard about “Pocket Wifi”. Does anyone have experience using it before? I'd love to know your thoughts.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Same issue , mainly trying to get this for my children who racked up huge bills in china last year - so trying to avoid this issue when we go to Europe. Anyone with any advice , i think we both are more then welcoming to hear !
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I don't know too many providers that provide Mifi rentals. I found a service after a quick google search, but they charge nearly 10€ per day for unlimited data, which is quite a lot IMO.

I would imagine that you can get better prepaid deals and either bring your own Mifi or use a spare phone as the hotspot and popping a prepaid data sim in. Double check if the offer includes personal hotspot and that it covers your destinations.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I've read that roaming charges are to be eliminated in Europe, but the charges were very much in place when I visited a couple of months ago.

I was able to get pretty cheap plans in the countries that I visited by buying a SIM card in each country and just swapped out the SIM in my backup phone.

If you don't have a second phone, they are very cheap and can usually be set up as a hotspot for devices that don't have a SIM card like a tablet.

Best forum for this is Travel Technology that has a Sticked thread on specific country providers.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:13 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I've read that roaming charges are to be eliminated in Europe, but the charges were very much in place when I visited a couple of months ago.
Just to clarify:

1.) There are no charges if your carrier is based in the EU (or a non-EU EEA country) and you're roaming within the EU (+ EEA). With, say, a U.S. or Canadian SIM card, high roaming charges may still exist. To my knowledgde, the regulation doesn't say anything about overseas providers.

2.) All roaming charges *within* the EU/EEA (as laid out above) have been abolished as of June 15, 2017. (Well, not quite "all" but the few exceptions shouldn't matter to overseas travellers visiting the EU.)
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Best forum for this is Travel Technology that has a Sticked thread on specific country providers.
Thank you for sharing an informative link of telephonic plans for various countries. It is useful information for any traveler.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by .flyer

2.) All roaming charges *within* the EU/EEA (as laid out above) have been abolished as of June 15, 2017. (Well, not quite "all" but the few exceptions shouldn't matter to overseas travellers visiting the EU.)
That means, the roaming charges would not be applied to me in EU/EEA as I reside in UK. Are you sure?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by TheMadeTraveler
That means, the roaming charges would not be applied to me in EU/EEA as I reside in UK. Are you sure?
It's where your Mobile Provider 'resides' not your nationality
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by farci
It's where your Mobile Provider 'resides' not your nationality
You are absolutely right. I mean that .
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:07 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

We use a portable WiFi called "go local me". It works anywhere there is cell phone service. We bought the transponder (small) and a data package that has lasted most of a year through at least half a dozen trips. We mostly use it for maps, email, hotel reservations, etc, so its not like we're streaming movies. It's been indispensable.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Avios
Smile I have had good luck with....

I suggest you look into www.skyroam.com which offers either rentals or you can purchase with unlimited Wifi at $8.95USD per day.
^
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:47 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by TheMadeTraveler
Yes. See, for example, here. If your provider is in the EU/EEA, you can "roam like at home" within the entire EU/EEA. There is a fair-use exception which roughly says you need to use your SIM at home sometimes. E.g., you cannot buy a Polish SIM and exclusively use it in the UK for months on end (well, you could, but at some point the Polish provider would have the right to reinstate charges for roaming abroad).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.