Buying goods from LHR duty free and re-importing back into EU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying goods from LHR duty free and re-importing back into EU

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
When arriving from EU trip, it says pass by EU line no? The blue line? That's where I pass. No one has stopped me there?
Just because you do something and haven't been caught doesn't make it legal. You are importing goods on which duty and VAT is due.

Now whether you choose to flout the system or play it straight is up to you - but don't kid yourself it's legal.

And on that note, we should probably park this discussion anyway, since FT rules prohibit promoting such things.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:15 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
When arriving from EU trip, it says pass by EU line no? The blue line? That's where I pass. No one has stopped me there?
I'm 99% sure that HMRC's view would be that the section you reference applies for travel originating in the EU with respect to goods bought in other EU countries.

Furthermore, aren't bags originating in the EU tagged with a green stripe and those from outside the EU not for easy identification by HMRC? So really, the only way to get around it more safely would be to land in the EU, get your bags, and recheck them with a fresh tag.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 12, 2017 at 10:05 am
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: not a lot
Trying to mess with HMRC is very near the bottom on my list of things I must try.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:19 am

deleted

Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You are only allowed to use the Blue channel if you cleared your products through the Green channel in your point of entry into the European Union and paid the applicable duty at that stage. (And before you suggest otherwise, that aspect is likely to continue after March 2019). If you do then use the Blue channel into the UK (or anywhere else) you are guilty of at least two criminal offences rather than one. The rules in this area are not specific to the UK, there are customs officers all over Europe and Turkey applying exactly the same rules. The only aspect which is different is the personal allowance, and the UK has one of the more generous ones in the EU, depending on currency movements.

If you declared your goods at an EU or Turkish airport (plus or minus a few obscure places) and they were deemed to be exempt from duties or you paid the required duties then you are OK to use the Blue channel.
HuwieHex likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: not a lot
you are not messing with anyone, you are bringing a personal used laptop into the country from the EU where there is no customs! you are not bringing things to sell illegally and you are not bringing any illegal items in the country. this has really gone over the top now!
All in your own opinion, which is what a lot of this is, including my post.

I'm certainly not going to put it to the test for the sake of a few quid.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:21 am

deleted

Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:28 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
If i buy my laptop in the airport duty free and fly to the EU and then fly back from the EU, I must pay VAT?
So you are saying everyone who buys a laptop at Dixons Heathrow and eventually returns to the UK with it in the blue line is a criminal?
No because Dixon's paid VAT on it. The prices are lower because Dixon's averages the ex-EU and EU travelers (paying VAT on purchases by travelers going to the EU).
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:30 am

deleted

Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If i buy my laptop in the airport duty free and fly to the EU and then fly back from the EU, I must pay VAT?
So you are saying everyone who buys a laptop at Dixons Heathrow and eventually returns to the UK with it in the blue line is a criminal?
I feel you are not fully aware of how the European Customs Union works.

When you buy a laptop at Dixons and stay within the EU, yes you can go through the Blue line, because - this is the critical bit - you did actually pay VAT, being a trip within that Customs Union. Dixons work on a 30% margin generally, and on a high value item at an airport shop they will knock off a big discount, but you are paying full VAT. They may, confusingly, market it as "tax free prices".

The "border" here is not the UK, it is the EU, Turkey and a few other places. The rules are the same throughout - you must pay the same level of duty where ever you cross the border, this is known as the Common External Tariff. Going into the UK just gives HMRC a second chance to nab you if you broke the law when entering into (e.g.) Greece. It is your personaly responsibility to declare dutiable items, it's not the customs' authorities duty to do that discovery. If you import an item into Europe from outside the customs union and you avoid payment, whether for personal use or selling on, it's a form of theft.
HuwieHex, LiviLion and NWIFlyer like this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:42 am

deleted

Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:49 am

So I cannot buy a laptop in America open it, use it, then go to Greece, stay there a bit, and then eventually come to the UK with the laptop?
What is the cut off point for this ? 6 months of usage?
After 6 months of use you would be OK, but you are required to pay duty in Greece if the items come to 430€ or more, assuming you did something like JFK-ATH. In the UK it is £390. Thereafter the same duty is payable in both countries, so the UK is marginally more cost effective than Greece.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:54 am

deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 12, 2017 at 10:06 am
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:55 am
Suspended

So I cannot buy a laptop in America open it, use it, then go to Greece, stay there a bit, and then eventually come to the UK with the laptop? I am based in several countries, that's why I am asking.
What is the cut off point for this by the way ? 6 months of usage?

By the way thanks everyone for the very imformative posts here, now I know that I must buy the stuff in Heathrow airport on the way to EU and fly back without having to worry about breaking the law with HMRC or getting my stuff seized! I shop at Heathrow frequently as airport prices are usually cheaper than the high street. As I said, I bought my laptop at Dixons heathrow and always buy clothes at Reiss Heathrow with EU trips.
As per the above, if you're just randomly buying some goods, remove labels/packaging, and come back into the country with it, the chance of scrutiny is de minimis and I wouldn't worry about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.