FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Amsterdam Layover (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1856940-amsterdam-layover.html)

altabello Jul 27, 2017 9:34 am

Amsterdam Layover

How much time should I budget to get to the city (Centraal Station) from the airport, and back, through security and on to a flight to Spain? Arrival is from the US on Delta, connection is on KLM. Same ticket, but "multi-city" itinerary, can luggage be checked through? Or do I have to take it through customs and re-check it? Hoping I don't have to log it through AMS...

JBord Jul 27, 2017 4:12 pm

The better question is how long is your layover, and what would you like to do in Amsterdam?

All I can really tell you is that the train from AMS to Centraal is about 15-20 minutes. Other than the Red Light District and canal tours, most tourist spots are a long walk, tram ride, or taxi away from Centraal. Of course you'll have to go through the usual checkpoints before leaving AMS (which have never taken me very long), and you'll want to get back at least 90 mins before your onward flight.

The rest of your budgeted time depends on what you want to do in Amsterdam.

I'm not familiar with DL so won't try to answer that with my *Alliance knowledge.

altabello Jul 27, 2017 4:57 pm

Layover could be 5 hours or 8 hours. I would love to walk through the downtown/red light district for a bit and have lunch at a Thai restaurant I loved over 20 years ago...thanks for your response!

JBord Jul 27, 2017 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by altabello (Post 28616859)
Layover could be 5 hours or 8 hours. I would love to walk through the downtown/red light district for a bit and have lunch at a Thai restaurant I loved over 20 years ago...thanks for your response!

Plenty of time for all that. If you haven't been there for 20 years, I'd suggest you walk through the Jordaan. Lots of nice little shops, brown cafes, and restaurants. Like the RLD, close to Centraal and likely much improved in 20 years.

I recall from another thread there is luggage storage at AMS, if your bags don't check through. I have never used it though.

Enjoy!

UKtravelbear Jul 27, 2017 7:10 pm

How long is your connection? Do you have to collect and recheck bags? What is the checkin / bag drop deadline for your onward flight? What time do you need to be at the gate? Check with your airline and adjust times accordingly.

Red light district? WHY? there are load of places in Amsterdam that are far better than looking at bored women in windows.

As to a restuarent you visited 20 years ago. Yes it could stll be there but likely as not it's something ele. Google it.

Ditto Jul 28, 2017 12:58 am

I would go for 8 hours to allow you some 'proper' time in the city, depends on when that put your AMS-BCN flight and whether you have status dictates how early you should be at the airport.
With status, you can safely leave AMS centraal about 1h45-2 hours before your flight, without status I would recommend 2.5 hours.

I think checking bags through should be fine, otherwise allow extra 30 minutes.

farci Jul 28, 2017 6:29 am

Travelling from NL-Spain there is no immigration check so more time will be saved.

Here's an idea - rent a bike at Centraal station and see more! I am +1 on Jordaan but with a bike and free map you get beyond the tourist bits

JBord Jul 28, 2017 7:04 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 28617216)

Red light district? WHY?

That's one question I will never ask in these forums, as I might receive an answer! :D

GUWonder Jul 28, 2017 7:37 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 28617216)

Red light district? WHY? there are load of places in Amsterdam that are far better than looking at bored women in windows.

Some just want to see the famous red light district of Amsterdam? Amsterdam is sort of historically famous for its sex and drug scene.

altabello Jul 28, 2017 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 28618738)
That's one question I will never ask in these forums, as I might receive an answer! :D

Well, you don't have to worry about the answer, as I'm part of the female half of the population. The Thai restaurant is in the RLD, and while it might have new ownership (?), it's still in the same place, under the same name, so I'm wiling to give it a try. I liked the RLD/Damrak 20 years ago, and found the tight streets, historical houses, canaals, shops, cafes & sights quite entertaining...the ladies in the windows never bothered me :D

JBord Jul 29, 2017 7:35 am

Originally Posted by altabello (Post 28620123)
I liked the RLD/Damrak 20 years ago, and found the tight streets, historical houses, canaals, shops, cafes & sights quite entertaining...the ladies in the windows never bothered me :D

I agree. Every time I go to Amsterdam, I enjoy a post-dinner stroll there once just because of the circus atmosphere.