Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crete Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Crete Recomendations

Wife and I are staying at the Blue Palace in Crete for 5 nights in September.
Any recomendations for a car rental company near Heraklion Airport so we can drive to the hotel, and use for the week?
Any recomendations on things to do and places to go?
Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:00 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I am moving this thread to the FT Europe Forum, where there are many threads discussing Greece.
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels and Travel
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Stayed 5 nights in September 2015, here my report with some places to go:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...rip-crete.html

I thought the huge rental companies all looked OK, wouldn´t book the cheapest at a broaker due to waiting time.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
...I thought the huge rental companies all looked OK, wouldn´t book the cheapest at a broaker due to waiting time.
Well, at big companies you may have to wait even longer! I was recently at the airport and while Avis had nobody being served, there were two customers at Hertz, plus another 4 waiting (with two agents present).

Hah! Just read your TR: You had the same experience at Hertz, so why did you recommend not going to a smaller company? By the way, the priority lane at Hertz is the left one, but when all these people are there like in your photograph, no chance you can convince them that you should go first... Also, the castle in the harbour in Heraklion, as well as the museum are now open. Finally, the sea is not saltier than the remaining Mediterranean Other than that, the OP should get all the info (s)he needs from your TR.

Last edited by KLouis; Jul 24, 2017 at 6:35 am Reason: Added one paragraph
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by KLouis
Well, at big companies you may have to wait even longer! I was recently at the airport and while Avis had nobody being served, there were two customers at Hertz, plus another 4 waiting (with two agents present).
I had the experience no one at Sixt, no one at Budget and no one Avis - but 20 or even more at Hertz. Reason was simple. Hertz offered the cheapest cars with full insurance at a big German broaker and most Germans in my plane booked it.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:19 pm

I had really good luck with Annacars, which was far cheaper than the international rental agencies.

It's http://www.annacars.gr/

I rented a stick shift panda which we loved.

By the way, we picked up in Heraklion and dropped off in Chania and in Heraklion (because we came in by boat), they dropped it off at our hotel.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MrAOK
I had really good luck with Annacars, which was far cheaper than the international rental agencies.

It's http://www.annacars.gr/

I rented a stick shift panda which we loved.

By the way, we picked up in Heraklion and dropped off in Chania and in Heraklion (because we came in by boat), they dropped it off at our hotel.
Thank you for this. Perfect timing. Trying to put together a last minute trip to Crete next week and car rental prices at the majors are ridiculous.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 4:16 am

Try a local company.
Old May 2, 2021, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ManosKras
Try a local company.
Such a luck there is only one
Old May 2, 2021, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Such a luck there is only one
Absolutely and definitely 100% wrong! There are plenty of local rental companies in Crete, and they're usually much, much cheaper than the "big" ones.
Old May 3, 2021, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLouis
Absolutely and definitely 100% wrong! There are plenty of local rental companies in Crete, and they're usually much, much cheaper than the "big" ones.
Well, it was ironical. I guess there are many local companies and I also guess the quality varies. So a helpful comment would at least name good ones.
Old May 3, 2021, 5:58 pm

Sorry for not noticing the irony... Anyway, I thought of doing exactly what you suggest but a) the OP is 4 years old and b) names and contacts of companies are so easy to get through the web, that I thought "who cares". My own experience with rental companies in Crete goes back to a single case a long time ago (~25 years +) so it wouldn't be of any help.
Old May 6, 2021, 7:37 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

When we visited Crete two years ago, we rented a car from a local company. Very good rate and excellent service. Someone met us at the seaport. Then we dropped at the HER airport. Super easy. Never any line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.