Wiki Posts
Search

Vienna Airport question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Avios
Question Vienna Airport question

I asked a similar question before but I now have more specific detail.

Will be flying from US to VIE (via LHR) on BA.

On a Wednesday arrival date, how long should it take to go through customs, gather luggage and get to the OBB train station at the airport to catch a train to Salzburg.

Reason I ask is that my plane is scheduled to arrive 13:30 (71% on time history) and the train leaves at 15:30 OR a later one at 16:30 and I am buying tix which are not flexible.

I would like to catch the 15:30...if possible.

Any opinions/thoughts/recommendations?

Thank you to anyone who responds.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
All you need to do is retrieve your checked luggage (first) and then presumably walk through the green lane for customs. Especially if you have a USA passport in hand, this is likely to be very quick and easy unless you're bringing something exceptional. Then you need to find the right track from your OBB train from the airport's station. I cannot imagine how this can take even an hour assuming that the flight is on time and that your luggage is not delayed or lost.

BTW, are these times from the airport or from the Hbf (or other station) where you transfer to the big train? I'm asking because the OBB trains operate something like every fifteen minutes, not just once an hour. If possible, you wasn't to allow additional time at the Hbf or other transfer station, not wait at the airport for the OBB train that's timed to barely catch your big train. I want to guess that the OBB train trip from airport to Hbf takes about forty minutes, more if there's track work being done.

When I went from VIE to Salzburg, I simply purchased a ticket using the airport machine (in English if needed, or French, Turkish, etc.) for a RT using the regional train. The ticket included the suburban trains between the airport and downtown train stations--you save some time not going through the Hbf. I also got a schedule printout from the machines that listed all times and tracks. It was very easy. Also, my impression is that with the regional trains, you don't save much if anything by purchasing in advance unless you'll be traveling during rush hour.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Walking through customs will take about 12 seconds. Immigration (i.e. you are arriving in Schengen) will take longer, but this depends on how many other non-EU passport holders are in the queue ahead of you. I've seen it take over half an hour and I've seen it take about three minutes.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Walking through customs will take about 12 seconds. Immigration (i.e. you are arriving in Schengen) will take longer, but this depends on how many other non-EU passport holders are in the queue ahead of you. I've seen it take over half an hour and I've seen it take about three minutes.
OOPS. I keep forgetting that the UK isn't in schengen.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OOPS. I keep forgetting that the UK isn't in schengen.
Pretty soon the UK won't be part of anything! (oops bad OMNI)
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:14 am

If everything is on time or even slightly delayed, you are completley fine with the 15:30 train. As already mentioned previously you're usually quite fast in Vienna with everything.

So if you book the train RJ 740 which departs Vienna Airport at 15:33 you will be in Salzburg at 18:48 and do not have to change the train - the one from the airport will go directly to Salzburg (and as that is its final destination you will easily find it at the train station as the destination will say "Salzburg" as well).
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: *G
shouldnt be a problem at all. 99.5% chance of being safe
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:43 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by deniah
shouldnt be a problem at all. 99.5% chance of being safe
Unless BA has another strike
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Avios
Thumbs up Thanks to all!

I want to thank everyone who responded for their inputs.

One of the GREAT things about flyertalk is the willingness of people to share their insights and knowledge to others who seek help!

Again, thank you to all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.