Vienna Hotel?

Old Jul 6, 17, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Diamond, AVIS Pres, Hertz President's Circle
Vienna Hotel?

Flying NRT to LAX with a 16 hr layover in VIE. Don't see an interesting hotel around the airport.
Which is the better hotel in the city : Marriott, Hilton, IC, LeMeridien? How to get into the city
and back from the airport? We will have luggage, so train not an option.
Old Jul 6, 17, 1:16 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by Exleftseat View Post
Flying NRT to LAX with a 16 hr layover in VIE. ,,,,We will have luggage, so train not an option.
Can you check your luggage thru? That would make it easy to jump on the train and head into town. And then I'd choose a hotel convenient to the train station. Hilton Vienna is immediately across from the train station and well located for sighseeing in the inner ring.
Old Jul 6, 17, 2:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I agree. Your best option may be the Hilton Vienna.

Take the nonstop CAT train from the airport to the Wien Mitte station. It's a 16-minute ride. The Hilton is in the same block as the station. I forgot which door to use when exiting the station, but in general, turn left as you walk outside. The hotel is in the same block as the station.
Old Jul 6, 17, 3:45 pm

Programs: *G
all the hotels are either nestled in the same area or equally good place along the ring. location its absolute wash. if its a single night stay is there a real difference in property quality? if i were you id just get whichever brand is preferred or have loyalty affiliation with.

for transport curbside taxi is around 45 eur and uber is 30 eur, 20-25m ride, and most likely in mbz e-class.
Old Jul 7, 17, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
The Hilton at the Schottenring is probably the best value 4/5* hotel in Vienna.
Old Jul 10, 17, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
I like a good hotel as much as the next person, but it seems to me you have a few options other than an in-town hotel.

If you just want a shower, try heading to the *A lounge in the airport, shower up, then explore the city via CAT + Ubahn.

If you want a shower and room, consider a day room at the NH Hotel at the airport. Pretty inexpensive and nice enough. It's steps from both the terminal and the CAT station.
Old Jul 10, 17, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Intercontinental in Vienna often comes up on Hotwire "opaque" bookings; and the deal via Hotwire can be even better at times if you book a room for more than two people.
Old Jul 10, 17, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Diamond, AVIS Pres, Hertz President's Circle
I want to thank you for all your informative posts. They are most helpful indeed.
It's still a while until the trip but I am favoring the Hilton Schottenring because it's
near the train station in case we can check our luggage though to LAX. Also we
get free breakfast as Gold. The IC is second, but the price would have to be great,
so I will keep checking on Hotwire, but then they will probably not honor our
AMB status. In any case, we are looking forward to our OS flight and the one night
stay.

Again, thanks to all. I always appreciate the help I get here on FT.

Search this Thread