FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Geneva - Evian-les-Bains (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1849531-geneva-evian-les-bains.html)

meducate Jun 22, 2017 9:15 am

Geneva - Evian-les-Bains

I will be attending a conference in Geneva next month, and decided to stay in part in Evian-les-Bains to enjoy the benefits of that area. A few questions:

1. What would a taxi cost between these two cities?
2. Is there a logical/easy public transportation option?
3. Are there times of the day where I will encounter more traffic (aside from obvious rush hours).

Many thanks!

Captain Schmidt Jun 23, 2017 1:28 am

Re 2.

Not sure about "easy", but there are a few options:
1) Take the bus to Thonon from where you can hop on the train to Evian. Bus departs from Geneva bus station so if you are coming into GVA, you'd need to get there. Transit time from Geneva bush station to Evian would be about and hour and 45 minutes. http://www.sat-leman.com/img/os_docu...2_mai_2017.pdf

2) Take the train all the way. You'll need to change at Bellegarde Depending on timing, this will take around 2 hours.

3) For a more scenic journey, you could jump on the train to Lausanne from the airport. On arrival in Lausanne hop on the metro down to Ouchy (3 stops), or an easy downhill walk if you don't have much luggage and then take the boat across the Lake. It's about 45 minutes to Lausanne, 5 mins on the Metro and then the boat crossing takes 35 minutes, but you may need to wait for a boat connection.

meducate Jun 23, 2017 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt (Post 28476991)
Re 2.

Not sure about "easy", but there are a few options:
1) Take the bus to Thonon from where you can hop on the train to Evian. Bus departs from Geneva bus station so if you are coming into GVA, you'd need to get there. Transit time from Geneva bush station to Evian would be about and hour and 45 minutes. http://www.sat-leman.com/img/os_docu...2_mai_2017.pdf

2) Take the train all the way. You'll need to change at Bellegarde Depending on timing, this will take around 2 hours.

3) For a more scenic journey, you could jump on the train to Lausanne from the airport. On arrival in Lausanne hop on the metro down to Ouchy (3 stops), or an easy downhill walk if you don't have much luggage and then take the boat across the Lake. It's about 45 minutes to Lausanne, 5 mins on the Metro and then the boat crossing takes 35 minutes, but you may need to wait for a boat connection.

Thanks!

greg5 Jun 24, 2017 3:29 am

Depending on your schedule... Another, albeit much slower, option would be to take the steamship from Genève to Lausanne-Ouchy instead of the train. Then you can take the same boat over to Evian. The boat going between Evian and Lausanne is generally not quite as nice though. However, I remember doing that trip on a steamship a couple years ago.

Definitely book 1st class on the steamship. I don't think it's really that much more, but you'll be able to lounge on the top deck that way.

b1513 Jun 25, 2017 5:40 pm

Honestly, I'd rent a car and drive. It's a very easy drive and takes about an hour, less if it's not busy, a bit more if it's at a busy time. It's a very nice drive and you'll have a car to visit a few places in the short time you're there. We've done that drive many times.

Bobette

anagan Feb 19, 2024 8:21 pm

hello, I am newbie with flyertalk. I dont know how and where to post my qustion but when i put evian bains, this forums came up. so here is the question or you can guide me where to post it exactly.
  1. how much is lake geneva regional pass cost for child 15 with 2 adults?
  2. is geneva regional pass covered from geneva airport to evian?
  3. will saver pass still available if i get it 5 days before trip begins and will price stay same or go up?
  4. with geneva pass, will i get bus/train free in swiss side on free days(i will have 3 free days)?
  5. with regional geneva pass, my total is 540 chf and saver day pass 544 chf.
  6. May you please check, if I am thinking right on below expenses day by day. what is most practical for me pass wise. i don't know if i am missing anything or not counting anything right.
Sorry, Starting new thread, Since i made some changes to my itinerary.
day 1: at my arrival at gva airport and reach from geneva airport to evains. If i use Regi. geneva pass, i will use 50% discount and if i use leman pass, it will be 40 chf one way
day 2: lausanne day trip: via boat. I made fake booking and SBB shows super saver 38 chf round trip per person so good estimate with my 15 year old and hubby will be 100 chf round trip with saver day pass. if i use reg. geneva pass, i will use free day.
day 3: montreux from evian vía lausanne boat again. after boat i have to take 1 or 2 buses from lausanne to montreux. 150 chf with saver day pass. with geneva pass, free day i will use.
Day 4 evian to vveny(not right spelling). 150 chf with saver day pass and with geneva pass day is free.
day 5 staying on france side and will go to annecy from evian which is 73 euros. I understand regional geneva pass will not cover it.
day 6 leave for geneva using 50% of regional geneva pass or use leman pass for 40 chf. I will stay one day in geneva where i use free transportation card.