Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Situational Awareness/Caution while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.

We are Americans who love to travel and are doing our best to keep calm and carry on amid reports about terrorism incidents and dangers. We will be in London for a few days and also in Barcelona and Paris later this year. I read very general tips such as "be aware of your surroundings" but am wondering if some of you veterans have any specific advice for staying safe while abroad. Of course, there are no guarantees but what do you all recommend? Scanning for suspicious people/situations, looking for exit options, etc?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Avoid crowds and obvious tourist attractions and special events where possible. If you must, pick your location and time carefully and do be aware of exits and surroundings. Laws in some foreign countries can be lax about emergency exits, signage, overcrowding, etc. so think carefully about crowded nightclubs, etc. [This applies to natural disasters such as fires and earthquakes as well as terrorism.]

Try not to look or behave like American tourists.

Some people say to avoid particularly prominent hotels or big American chain hotels, but certain top hotels can have very good security.

Know the phone code for emergency services where you are (the overseas equivalent of 911). Especially if there's a risk of severe civil disturbances, keep your passport, some cash, and credit cards that can buy a last minute plane ticket with you at all times. [Can you take a taxi to the airport immediately and leave on the next flight is the thought experiment here.]

You can register your plans and emergency contact information on a state department website or through USA embassy/consulate websites.

Be cautious but enjoy your travels.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:32 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Much ado about nothing IMHO @:-)

State Department as well as Canadian government warn about all kinds of threats - if I listened to them I'd never go anywhere.

You are FAR more likely shot / mugged in US than anywhere else - OK I leave out Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and others, but those are not really tourist destinations @:-)

So ya, be aware of your surroundings, but don't be paranoid. Especially in tourist areas, you are more likely to be pick-pocketed than killed.

And enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Try not to look or behave like American tourists.
If somebody drives a vehicle or shoots into a crowd or sets off a bomb in a public place--which describes the recent incidents in Europe--it really won't matter what you look like or where you're from. I'm unaware of any terrorist incidents in Europe where Americans have been specifically targeted.

That said, I'm going to be in London and Brussels soon (and I was in Paris last fall), and while I intend to stay reasonably aware of my surroundings, I'm not going to spend my whole time avoiding public places, sidewalks, mass transit, and cultural events. Otherwise, I might as well stay home. . . and possibly get mown down by one of the many godawful drivers who run the red lights on my way to the office.

Last edited by Giggleswick; Jun 21, 2017 at 12:28 am
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Avoid crowds and obvious tourist attractions and special events where possible.
Are you serious? Might as well stay at home then.

On that advice I should cancel my planned trips to NYC, San Francisco and Washington DC!

As to 'lax laws' the OP is visiting three major cities in three major countries not the back of beyond. Standards in Europe are certainly not lax and there is strict enforcement. In my numerous trips to the US I have yet to see a sign in a hotel saying the fire alarms will be tested at 11am every Monday yet there was one in the Amsterdam hotel I stayed in last weekend.

OP the following is some practical advice that applies wheevere you go. It applies to NYC as well as London

Don't wear expensive jewlery and watches.

Don't wave your mobile phone around constantly.

If you need to check a map / guide book / phone then don't do it in the middle of the pavement - move to the building side.

If you carry a purse / bag make sure it's one that securely closes and hold it close to your body. Only put in it what you need for the day so no need to carry your house keys and other detritus - leave those in your hotel.

If you get lost then still look as though you know what you are going.

The only advice on being 'American' I'd give is simply don't talk about politics or how things are different (usually meant as 'better) 'back home'!

Above all - ENJOY YOURSELF
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
If somebody drives a vehicle or shoots into a crowd or sets off a bomb in a public place
The "don't look tourist-ish" still does apply re: pickpocket. Sometimes you see that someone's American/British/German/French from a mile away. Other than that, I don't think there's much advice to be followed.

Oh... there's many forget: Have a great time!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:08 am

Avoid crowds and obvious tourist attractions and special events where possible.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Are you serious? Might as well stay at home then...
Completely agree with UKTravelbear here. Just go about your business, have common sense (UKTravelbear’s tips are good ones) and see the sights you want to see.

If you want to avoid crowds because crowds are inherently unpleasant, then fine. But please don’t miss out on great sights and events because of security fears.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Above all - ENJOY YOURSELF
^
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by travelmom4
We are Americans who love to travel and are doing our best to keep calm and carry on amid reports about terrorism incidents and dangers. We will be in London for a few days and also in Barcelona and Paris later this year. I read very general tips such as "be aware of your surroundings" but am wondering if some of you veterans have any specific advice for staying safe while abroad. Of course, there are no guarantees but what do you all recommend? Scanning for suspicious people/situations, looking for exit options, etc?
Terrorism isn't the biggest danger you face when visiting London, Barcelona and Paris. My suggestion is pay attention to how you cross the roads in the UK, as Americans tend to look the wrong way while crossing there unless giving it deliberate thought to look the proper way when crossing the streets.

Worrying too much about terrorism deprives people of the situational awareness to deal with far worse risks than that of acts of terrorism.

And it's not like being in comparably sized cities in the US is overall any safer than being in the EU -- it just isn't.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
I appreciate your opinions and advice. Intellectually, of course, we all know that one is more likely to be harmed by a plethora of everyday dangers at home than by terrorism. Always good to be reminded. Also wise to think about crossing the roads in the UK!

I am obviously not willing to forego traveling as it is, for me, one of life's great pleasures. We choose safe international and US destinations and do our best to follow the general guidance like that described by UKtravelbear. I am also aware that there is not much one can do if in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't intend to spoil our trips by stress and worry but I often travel with my four children (teens and young adults) and so that mama bear instinct protect is ever-present.

Thanks to all.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: HH Diamond
That being said, I was surprised on my trip last week to Europe that some basic security measures weren't put in place. Example: Nyhavn area in CPH. A huge tourist draw of outdoor cafes on one single street. Literally thousands of people eating along the docks. The concrete barriers had been initially placed to protect from a Nice type truck attack, but they had all been moved to facilitate catering trucks. So, walking down this pedestrian street, I found myself dodging catering trucks. Similarly, a trip down Stroget during the day, you find yourself dodging the random Fed Ex truck. After truck attacks in Berlin, Nice, and London, you would think Copenhagen would take further steps to protect their main pedestrian areas. I was at least cognizant of the risk.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
That being said, I was surprised on my trip last week to Europe that some basic security measures weren't put in place. Example: Nyhavn area in CPH. A huge tourist draw of outdoor cafes on one single street. Literally thousands of people eating along the docks. The concrete barriers had been initially placed to protect from a Nice type truck attack, but they had all been moved to facilitate catering trucks. So, walking down this pedestrian street, I found myself dodging catering trucks. Similarly, a trip down Stroget during the day, you find yourself dodging the random Fed Ex truck. After truck attacks in Berlin, Nice, and London, you would think Copenhagen would take further steps to protect their main pedestrian areas. I was at least cognizant of the risk.
Everything is a balance. Concrete barriers in previously open areas aren't a 'basic measure' - they are new, disruptive, security measures. Obviously the catering trucks still need access. You can't simply build a permanent wall around any popular area. And even if you do, you just move the target to the area in front of the wall.

People need to understand that populated, popular cities will always have easy targets. You can be cognizant of the risks, but that doesn't mean these places are dangerous.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:40 am

Odds are, nothing is going to happen but its always better to be safe than sorry.
In each country know the address & phone number of the embassy/consulate, that way in any sort of emergency you can quickly get in a cab and show them the address without losing any time. (https://www.usembassy.gov/#F)
Also as many have said try not to look touristy but I'd also say make sure you keep your pockets as empty as possible Barcelona is at hot bed of pickpockets, this is the biggest risk you'll face in Europe. Its funny because here in the states I have never in my life worried about pickpockets, one because its not common and two I know if I were to ever recognize someone slighting me I can chase them down and the cops will side with me, well in the wonderful land of Europe that is not the case, so its just better to not have anything that is valuable that can be pickpocketed, I remember standing in Naples train station watching a pickpocket scope out a very American looking family, I alerted one of the cops and they laughed and walked away. So dont expect any help and just take the necessary precautions upon yourself. My main go to is a wallet phone case that keeps one large bill for emergencies and my travel credit card and my phone almost never leaves my hand or I have my hand on it in my pocket.
Oh yea another thing, if you're bringing a debit card try and use it inside the actual banks to help reduce the chances of being skimmed. And if a shop seems a little sketchy default to cash. Europe is the land of the petty thieves so always check your online bank information everyday and if possible set up mobile alerts
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Much ado about nothing IMHO @:-) ----

So ya, be aware of your surroundings, but don't be paranoid. Especially in tourist areas, you are more likely to be pick-pocketed than killed.

And enjoy your trip.
^^ I agree
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
This may then come in handy:

How to Call For Help Across the Globe: Emergency Numbers and Instructions for Travelers [quote]Every time a traveler gets on a plane, flight attendants review the safety features of the aircraft in the pre-flight briefing, no matter how many times the passengers may have heard this before.

Ironically, few travelers know what to do and whom to call in an emergency when traveling, whether that emergency be an accident, a fire, a heart attack, or something else of similar nature or magnitude.

Emergency telephone numbers are typically three-digit numbers that can be easily memorized. The problem is that there is no universal standard for them and they typically vary from country to country, although the European Union has standardized on one.
<SNIP>

.Also most mobile phones today will translate 112 to the local number (911 for example) and vice versa.

This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bstv69
Odds are, nothing is going to happen but its always better to be safe than sorry.
In each country know the address & phone number of the embassy/consulate, that way in any sort of emergency you can quickly get in a cab and show them the address without losing any time. (https://www.usembassy.gov/#F)
Also as many have said try not to look touristy but I'd also say make sure you keep your pockets as empty as possible Barcelona is at hot bed of pickpockets, this is the biggest risk you'll face in Europe. Its funny because here in the states I have never in my life worried about pickpockets, one because its not common and two I know if I were to ever recognize someone slighting me I can chase them down and the cops will side with me, well in the wonderful land of Europe that is not the case, so its just better to not have anything that is valuable that can be pickpocketed, I remember standing in Naples train station watching a pickpocket scope out a very American looking family, I alerted one of the cops and they laughed and walked away. So dont expect any help and just take the necessary precautions upon yourself. My main go to is a wallet phone case that keeps one large bill for emergencies and my travel credit card and my phone almost never leaves my hand or I have my hand on it in my pocket.
Oh yea another thing, if you're bringing a debit card try and use it inside the actual banks to help reduce the chances of being skimmed. And if a shop seems a little sketchy default to cash. Europe is the land of the petty thieves so always check your online bank information everyday and if possible set up mobile alerts
In the event of a terrorist attack in an area, you should probably pretty much write off the ability to get shelter inside the US embassy in the area. The government is more about protecting its own personnel and assets in the area than about protecting its citizens out and about in the area. Also, relatively high profile areas and facilities are best avoided at such times. Going to a US embassy for shelter? This isn't the America of the 1900s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.