Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Switzerland itinerary

Switzerland itinerary

Old Apr 21, 17, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC Silver
Switzerland itinerary

Can anyone suggest a 12-day itinerary for Switzerland for April.

We will be arriving and leaving from ZRH. We would like to go to the following cities:
Zurich
Geneva
Lucerne
Grindelwald

If you think I should drop any of the cities mentioned, please don't hesitate to suggest other places.
Old Apr 22, 17, 3:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Geneva itself has hardly anything really worth visiting (imo). It can be a nice launchpad for the surrounding places like Chamonix, Annecy, etc though.
Old Apr 22, 17, 3:35 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Driving? Hope so!

What do you like to do?

Some favorites:

Zurich
Jungfrau/Grundewald
Brienz
Crans sur Sierre
Ascona
Driving into Austria from Crans
Driving from Geneva into Italy

German, French, and Italian-speeaking sections....

Last edited by 747FC; Apr 22, 17 at 4:01 am
Old Apr 22, 17, 5:17 pm
nrr

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA Delta Platinum
Are you planning to stay in ONE spot and visit many places, or are you going to use several base locales and explore those areas?
Switzerland has a super rail system--some spots can ONLY be reached by train. IMHO train is THE way to explore Switzerland.
I would make better suggestions if I know the answer to quest. Posed in paragraph#1.
Old Apr 22, 17, 5:39 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
I travel to Switzerland and Europe at least once a month. Travelling between European cities I usually take the train - and if you are willing to extend your borders then you have Milan, Venice, the lakes all within easy reach of Geneva.

With no disrespect to the Swiss, but you will be pushed to fill 12 days, unless you are happy to find a small village to hide away. Zurich and Geneva are usually asleep by 9 / 10pm...

You do not mention your likes, dislikes or interests - but if you like visually beautiful scenery, fresh air, cities that go to sleep early and fabulous service in some of the worlds best hotels, you are about to embark on a magnificent 12 days what I would describe as relaxed beauty...

Make sure you take a full wallet, Switzerland can be very expensive. Even the taxi drivers wear tailored suits and gold Rolex's.....
Old Apr 22, 17, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
What are you interested in???
Old Apr 23, 17, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC Silver
I like to look at sceneries, walk around, and food (a some shopping for the wife). I want to just visit Switzerland only. If it's advisable to just stay in one place and explore the places I've mentioned, that would be most ideal for me. I don't like to be always packing and unpacking when transferring hotels, that's why I don't like those packaged tours where you stay in a different hotel almost every night.
Old Apr 24, 17, 12:58 am

Visit and enjoy Lucerne .... go up Mount Rigi and Mount Pilatus (full day trips), the transport museum, the Jesuit Church, the Bridges ...

Take the train to Italian Switzerland ... recommend Lugano ... and enjoy the mountain scenery on the Gotthard route, perhaps continuing to Como in Italy (only 10 mins from the Swiss border at Chiasso) ...

Visit Basel ... museums, art galleries, shops....

Plenty to see and do in Switzerland over 12 days but I'd recommend travelling by train (or post bus) and having a couple of different stops .... Lucerne and Lugano for starters.
Old Apr 24, 17, 1:17 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Plat
Get the train Zurich to Chur, take the highly scenic Bernina Express from there to Tirano in Italy (only 2.5/3 hrs) and consider getting off at Bergun or another stop and walking between stations. Plenty of stuff online to show you whats most scenic, distances are various but 4-5 miles wud cover most. Or continue on from Tirano to Milan or Lake Como, only another 2 hrs. Or there are day trip you can do to St Moritz, up one of the chairlifts for lunch and a bigger view, go to Gruyere castle for a fondue..
Old Apr 24, 17, 12:05 pm
nrr

Originally Posted by Tasclean View Post
Get the train Zurich to Chur, take the highly scenic Bernina Express from there to Tirano in Italy (only 2.5/3 hrs) and consider getting off at Bergun or another stop and walking between stations. Plenty of stuff online to show you whats most scenic, distances are various but 4-5 miles wud cover most. Or continue on from Tirano to Milan or Lake Como, only another 2 hrs. Or there are day trip you can do to St Moritz, up one of the chairlifts for lunch and a bigger view, go to Gruyere castle for a fondue..
The Bernina Express (spectacular scenery) departs Chur before 9 AM, so one would have t depart Zurich around 7 AM.
Old Apr 24, 17, 12:26 pm
nrr

In the summer the days are longer allowing more time to explore!
One super scenic route (possible in ONE day):
Zurich-Luzern (about 45 minutes); Golden Pass route (dep. Luzern hourly at XX:05 most of the day) to Interlaken Ost (via Meieringen), Interlaken to Spiez to Zweisimmen to Montreux--some of the cars are "panoramic"--lots of windows.
As noted in a post above: Luzern to Mt. Rigi is nicer if you ride the boat from Luzern to Vitznau and then the cog railway to Rigi Kulm; returning via Arth Goldau, one can take a NEW train via the OLD Gotthard tunnel to Italian Switz., passing the Wassen Church [do a Goggle search on the interesting features of trains "spiraling" around Church.]
There is no end to scenic routes...you really have to read up.
One thing to note, train schedules are set so that connections are well planned timewise = minimal waiting.
Old Apr 24, 17, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Drive the Gotthard Pass? That's a great way to spend an afternoon.

Search this Thread