Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

SIM card for a week in Geneve. How best to get please?

Old Mar 14, 17, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Dear All:

I will be in Geneve for a week later this year. I'm US-based, and as such, I have a TMobile (USA) Samsung S7 Edge phone (soon, in late April, a Samsung S8 or S8+ phone).

As I expect to be arriving on a Saturday in Geneve, and stay through the following Friday, roughly a week, may I ask the good folks here please how best to get a suitable SIM card so as soon as possible, upon arrival, I'll have a working phone?

I'm someone who enjoys having full speedy internet access, and decent call rates to the USA and to Hong Kong (those are the only two areas I expect to call).

Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 17, 17, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
First, be sure you have an unlocked phone or the sim will not work.

I haven't done this in Geneve, but in other places around the world. You might find a phone vendor at the airport. You can also try a currency exchange booth. If you don't find anything at the airport, I've had luck at a currency/tour booth (in Rome) or at a phone vendor's store (Athens.)

Good Luck!
Old Mar 17, 17, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
You can purchase a SIM card at the Post Office (La Post) in the Arrivals Hall.
A simple Google search "SIM card Geneva airport" would have turned up that answer in about 30 seconds.
Old Mar 20, 17, 4:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
You can purchase a SIM card at the Post Office (La Post) in the Arrivals Hall.
A simple Google search "SIM card Geneva airport" would have turned up that answer in about 30 seconds.
I'm not sure if it was due to the language barrier or something, but 2 years ago when I last visited Geneva I couldn't get a SIM card at the Post Office. Had to eventually go to the Geneva Train station's Swisscom outlet to get one.
Old Mar 22, 17, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
With your T-mobile phones will you have tmobile service with global roaming service? You may not get LTE but in Zurich I got LTE on Fi and my friend on Tmobile seemed to have at least 3G.
Old Mar 23, 17, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...i-country.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...itzerland.html Some posts very old (for IT)
Old Mar 28, 17, 3:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Originally Posted by shuigao View Post
I'm not sure if it was due to the language barrier or something, but 2 years ago when I last visited Geneva I couldn't get a SIM card at the Post Office. Had to eventually go to the Geneva Train station's Swisscom outlet to get one.
Update: As of today, had no problem getting a new Swisscom SIM at the geneva airport post office. chf19.90.

Search this Thread