Reload this Page >

Sarajevo Tips [was Sarajevo Safety]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sarajevo Tips [was Sarajevo Safety]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:42 am

Ok, great, thanks. So bus to Baščaršija and then taxi from there? Staying at the Residence Inn on Skenderija, and I'll have a light but bulky bag.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:08 am

It’s a relatively short walk from the bus stop hence I’d avoid getting a taxi. If you head down the path along the river towards the opposite direction of the previous bus journey, you’ll find the hotel on your left, it’s rougkly 15 minutes’ walk (and a pleasant walk indeed). If unsure, you can get a cab and make sure you clearly state Residence Inn as they often get confused with the Courtyard down the road. Again, though, I would walk it - just take the river as starting point and you’ll be sound.

G
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:51 am

Wanted to report back that the bus worked well, and that I was able to stay dry (it started raining after I was already inside the hotel). Driver even had change for the 100 marks bill the ATM spat out.

On the way back I took a taxi, which cost 16 marks.

PS: the thread should probably be renamed, because these days Sarajevo is a safe as any other European city.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
Wanted to report back that the bus worked well, and that I was able to stay dry (it started raining after I was already inside the hotel). Driver even had change for the 100 marks bill the ATM spat out.

On the way back I took a taxi, which cost 16 marks.

PS: the thread should probably be renamed, because these days Sarajevo is a safe as any other European city.
​​​
I’m glad it all worked out for you [with public transport], the direct bus service is indeed a breeze and a very welcome yet needed above all addition as I previously stated. Concerning safety: if you read the very first post, the OP’s main concern was related to the land-mines and not to do with the level of safety in the city as such. As a matter of fact, I visited the city on a regular basis since just after the war (I still remember when Lufthansa launched the first service from Munich, it feels like yesterday...) and, even back then, I never really felt unsafe. Land-mines remain a problem in some areas, though.

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Jul 16, 2018 at 3:07 pm Reason: spelling.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:12 am

Not strictly related to the core topic of this very thread (which could possibly do with renaming anyway) but here is an up-to-date airport bus timetable (I took a picture yesterday whilst at the airport), the ones I was able to find here & there on-line seem to have the old schedule:

G
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
... here is an up-to-date airport bus timetable (I took a picture yesterday whilst at the airport)...
Thanks for that! I don't see myself going to Sarajevo any time soon but it's always good to have current information for those who are.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:44 am

Happy to help, especially since I’m ‘stationed’ over here.

The other point which I thought would be worth clarifying concerning the above mentioned service (and mainly for those who are looking to use it from the city centre only) is the actual location of the bus stop in Baščaršija, which is in front of the city hall/library (not clear at all from the timetable itself). Also, coming from the airport, the bus will make a couple of stops along Zmaja od Bosne (many of you will surely remember ‘sniper alley’), hence particularly handy for those staying at the former Holiday Inn (the yellow building on the other side of the road, it used to be the main base of most journalists and reporters during the last war) but also Novotel/Bristol and Marriott (Courtyard) to mention a couple.

G
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
If you have only a carry-on and don't want to cab it, the local more frequent buses are also nearby.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:33 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
Good idea. Consider it done.

stut
Europe Forum
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:57 am

Resurrecting this thread for a swift update from town (I've just noticed that Celtic will be playing FK Sarajevo in the Champions League's qualifying round so this may also be useful for the FT's bhoys planning the trip to Bosnia ).

That said, the updated/summer bus (airport-city centre and indeed vice-versa) timetable can be found through this link (it used to be tricky to 'locate' it up to a few months ago but it has now been uploaded to the official airport's website, which incidentally also had a bit of remake recently). The bus doesn't really have designated stops once it leaves the airport hence feel free to use the stop button. Cash payment only and, as another user has suggested above, 'standard' public transport is also available from nearby areas (just cross the road leading to the airport and head over to Dobrinja towards Alipašino, where you will find plenty of bus stops). For the fans of the 'keep-fit option', I walked from the airport to Grbavica (not far from the town centre) the other day and it took me roughly an hour and a half so not too bad at all FYI - the ibis Styles hotel (which is a really nice property, by the way) is 'only' 40 minutes' walk and has great tram/bus connections with virtually the rest of the city.

Lufthansa/Austrian/Swiss do not allow web check-in departing from Sarajevo (speaking to the Austrian's airport supervisor the other day, she told me that this is unlikely to be reinstated any time soon and due to "major security breaches"...) so make sure to head to the airport some time beforehand (long queues likely in the small terminal, especially when other services e.g. Turkish/Pegasus to Istanbul are departing at the same time).

Lastly and for Amex cardholders like myself, I've noticed a much better acceptance recently (most Konzum grocery shops will take it), which is a massive plus!

For anything else and indeed general or more specific advice/info, please feel free to ask, I'm based over here so always happy to help.

G
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
For anything else and indeed general or more specific advice/info, please feel free to ask, I'm based over here so always happy to help.

G
Hi AlicorporateUK, thanks for the updates. If you don't mind some rapid-fire questions... I am heading over to Sarajevo next month and could use some advice:

ATM - Are there reliable ATMs at the Sarajevo airport, or should I rely on money changers?

SIM/data - I will be visiting BiH along with Croatia and Montenegro. I don't have a data roaming plan on my mobile phone, is there a SIM card that covers all three countries that I can buy at the airport? If not, what's a good mobile provider with decent coverage across BiH?

Taxis - I will probably take a taxi from the airport. Do the airport taxis have boot space that would fit 3 pieces of luggage/roller boards?

Food - For local cuisine, are there any tourist-friendly-but-still-authentic restaurants you would recommend for first-timers to the region, and any very good local places (or street food) you would recommend for the more adventurous?

Regional tourism - I'm still debating between using Sarajevo as a base for day trips or hopping around every day or so. If you had a week in BiH, where else would you go besides Sarajevo and Mostar? I'm mostly interested in nature and history and have no interest in the pilgrimage to Međugorje.

Rafting - Have you gone rafting on the Neretva? Would you recommend any particular outfitter?

Road to Montenegro - This is a long-shot question. Have you driven on the road from Sarajevo towards the border to Zabjlak/Niksic? What's the condition like (is it sealed/tarred)? Can I trust Google Maps for navigation?

Thanks a bunch (again)!

Last edited by fallinasleep; Jun 22, 2019 at 5:53 am
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:46 am

Of course I don’t [mind] — future visitors may also find this helpful so thanks very much for posting the questions

ATMs: you will be facing 3 machines upon exiting the passports/baggage area, just head straight through the crowd with the bar on your right-hand side, the ATMs are just next to the terminal’s exit door. I’ve used them several times so, by all means, go for it. Should you decide to change money at the airport (not recommended), there’s a kiosk on the left-hand side as you exit the baggage area.

SIM Card: there are no shops at the airport (meaning arrival area) I’m afraid and, at least as far as I’m aware, there’s no card covering the mentioned territories. Given that you are planning to visit Croatia & Montenegro as well, my suggestion is to explore solutions through your mobile provider. As an example, the company I work for has arrangements (similar plan available to private users as well) with Vodafone UK through which my business phone only gets charged a certain amount (I think it’s 6 GBP) per day and gives us no ‘roaming stress’

​​​​​Taxis: whilst you’ll find all sorts at the airport, there’s however the chance to prearrange transport, they will be waiting for you and make sure that the ‘right’ car is despatched. Let me know if you need any advice on companies that do offer this service;

Food: I have thousands of recommendations (I have been based over here on overseas assignments for quite some time now and first visited Sarajevo literally just after the last conflict), but I’ll try to keep it short-&-sweet for yourself and indeed the wider audience

Ćevabdžinica “FAN” Ferhatović in the very heart of Baščaršija is a must in order to try a delicious Ćevapi, this is my first port of call whenever I have visiting colleagues or indeed family & friends;

Stara Konoba has some excellent food and the overall atmosphere and ambience is truly worth it; not far from the airport hence not really central but, again, strongly recommended;

Park Prinčeva: located on a hill and not far from the old town, it has stunning views over the city and the food will not disappoint.

I will needless to say come up with more suggestions ‘on the go’ and please do let me know if you need any tips on bars and pubs

Regional Tourism: Jablanica, Tuzla & Bihać amongst my top 3 but I took my partner to Neum (on the coast) last week and I’m sure we will soon come back!

I’m afraid I have little knowledge on the last two matters you kindly raised but I’m sure some other contributor will be more than happy to chip-in!

G
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:11 am

Adding to the food’s subject: Paper Moon, whilst it can’t pride on the best surroundings (residential area in Grbavica), has some really decent food — a nice mix between local and international cuisine. If you like beer (I do ), especially the proper ones (German/Belgian wheat beers but also a decent selection of local lagers ), then Freaky’s Pub is a must (and very easy to locate, just ‘behind’ the Courtyard by Marriott and a few steps away from the German embassy)

G
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:44 pm

AlicorporateUK, thank you so much! Can't wait to try Ćevapi as soon as I arrive.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:14 am

Back from the Balkans. Loved Sarajevo. In hindsight, would have happily skipped Mostar and surrounding sights in favor of more time in Sarajevo.

Cevapi and burek are sold everywhere, and you really can't go wrong at most places. It is also dirt cheap. If at a restaurant and in doubt, get the smaller portion (and order more as needed)!

I agree with AlicorporateUK, the Sarajevo airport is a mess. Not so much for the queues/lines but for the lousy service from the car rental agencies and outsourced airline handling agents.

A newsstand in the parking area outside Sarajevo airport sells SIM cards for BAM 5, but make sure the data is activated before you walk away. Probably best to get a card in the old town.

The ATM to the left of the car rental counters did not charge any surcharge for withdrawals.

I took a taxi from the stand immediately outside the airport. The first driver asked for BAM 30, which I knew was a little bit on the high side, but I just agreed. On my return to the airport from a regular taxi, I think the fare was around BAM 25. Note that taxi drivers have a notice that there is a surcharge for luggage (not sure if that is legitimate or not).

Walked down from the cable car station after visiting the bobsled tracks. It is a tough walk down, not so much because it is steep but because signage is nonexistent, and it will take longer than expected. If you are in a rush, probably best to buy a return trip ticket. It's BAM 15 one way and BAM 20 return for tourists.

Lastly, I highly recommend visits to the City Hall, Galeria 11/07/95 and the War Childhood museums.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.