Search

Award trip to Europe or else?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
Award trip to Europe or else?

Hey all!

I have 200k Miles burning a hole in my pocket, so wife and I decide to take a trip. Unfortunately, with our schedules we are limited to 9-10 days in the end of February. We were looking at Turkey/Greece or Spain/Portugal, however, we were hesitant because it's still cold and we can't swim. Is there anything you guys recommend? Any Greek island that might be warm?

Also, any recommendations for Option B and C? We were talking about Brazil, Bahamas, Costa Rica? I wanted to go to Japan or Bali but she doesn't want to travel that much for just 9 days.

Thanks for your help! You are all wonderful and helped me plan numerous trips!
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:18 pm

Greece in February? It can be close to freezing (~5% chance) or around 25 oC (~10% chance) or anything in between, the above combined with rain or sunshine or snow. As for islands, they will usually be a few degrees warmer than the continent. Bottom line: weather is a gamble, if you want to be sure (and close to the US) I'd go for Costa Rica.

PS I love Greece in the winter!
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
February won't be warm anywhere in Europe. Of your choices, I would probably go with Portugal/Spain.

But give Japan another look. 9 days is enough time to enjoy Tokyo and maybe Osaka. I've gone for only 6 total and had a great time. I see you're from Chicago...weather in Tokyo will probably be similar so its not a warm vacation. But there's so much to do indoors in Tokyo of course.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Anything warm you guys recommend that will be doible in 9 days and will give us some culture/beach?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
February is very cold in central Europe and very cool in Southern Europe. If you don't mind the cold, I would probably head into the Alps around that time of the year.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by TravelDoorsOut
Anything warm you guys recommend that will be doible in 9 days and will give us some culture/beach?
Combine a few days in Madrid or Barcelona (culture) with one of the Canary Islands (sun & warm water guaranteed).

Anywhere else Europe is too cold for swimming (in the sea) for sure even if the weather hits 25 degrees Celsius.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Would you consider South America? Chile, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay should all give you those things. Note that the more southern points like Buenos Aires can take a while to get to, since you didn't want to travel too far.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: UA/AA
Go to Mexico or the Caribbean to warm up (like the rest of Chicago)

Even places like the Egyptian Red Sea resorts of Sharm El Sheikh or Hurghada, or even the Middle Eastern resorts in Dubai/Abu Dhabi aren't really beach weather until the early Spring.

And, the Canary islands in February will in the high-60's (if your lucky)....not exactly beach weather.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
Would you consider South America? Chile, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay should all give you those things. Note that the more southern points like Buenos Aires can take a while to get to, since you didn't want to travel too far.
We definitely considered Brazil and Argentina. Two problems though: 1- my wife is pregnant so Zika is definitely a concern. 2- for some reason both of those destinations are 65k miles one way per person, compared to Europe or Carribean.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Combine a few days in Madrid or Barcelona (culture) with one of the Canary Islands (sun & warm water guaranteed).

Anywhere else Europe is too cold for swimming (in the sea) for sure even if the weather hits 25 degrees Celsius.
I thought the Canary's would still be cold in February? Is there a quick train from Madrid to Barca?

Any luck on weather in Portugal?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:14 am

I thought the Canary's would still be cold in February? Is there a quick train from Madrid to Barca?

Any luck on weather in Portugal?
As I wrote a few posts ago, statistically the weather in any Mediterranean country (Portugal is included honoris causa) during the winter is certainly much, much better than Chicago. If you don't like gambling (even if the odds are in your favour) and South America is out of question for your own reasons, consider Central America (incl. Mexico), Southeast Asia, Africa and Australia. There are soooo many possibilities. Pick any country in the tropics, you'll get your warm weather. As for culture, again lots and lots of it, let your imagination drive you.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: Miles&More IHG
cape verde ?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: most of them
The Central America suggestions like Costa Rica make sense. Some friends of mine went to Belize last winter and enjoyed it. Or maybe Colombia? It's a bit of an up-and-coming destination.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

What do you guys think of Panama City? Chile? Any fun resorts there? Safe?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

South America and Central America are unfortunately out because of Zika (my wife would be 5 months pregnant). We looked into Netherlands/Belgium but it will be very cold. Any other recommendations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.