Award trip to Europe or else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award trip to Europe or else?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 12:36 am

Programs: Miles&More IHG
Panama... safest places were the rural places when I visited in 2004. Panama city center itself was seen as "unsafe".

Ecuador? (but again be mindfull in the big cities)
How about Puerto Rico?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Koja78

How about Puerto Rico?
So here's how this has unfolded...

- Looking for warmer weather, so Europe is out.
- Asia is too far (I assume Australia and South Africa fall under the same category)
- Concerns with Zika in South and Central America

I think this leaves the Caribbean, Hawaii, and maybe Mexico (haven't heard of Zika issues there).

Puerto Rico seems like a good option, as would most other Caribbean islands. Mexico will undoubtedly be a cheaper vacation, if there are no health concerns there.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by JBord
Puerto Rico seems like a good option,
You definitely don't want Puerto Rico if Zika is concern.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/...us-puerto-rico
Old Dec 7, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: SK EuroBonus, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Wouldn't Andalusia (Southern Spain) fit the bill? A little early to go for a swim, but warm enough as long as you bring along a sweater for when the sun goes down. Plenty of culture to keep you occupied. Fly into Málaga, rent a car, drive to Granada and see the Alhambra, go to Ronda, Gibraltar, etc. You could even catch a boat and spend a day or two in Morocco. If you can use your miles on a Spanish carrier, that obviously opens up a lot of smaller airports with a transfer at MAD or BCN, which may be even more convenient than Málaga.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
Hey guys,

thanks so much for your input! We booked ORD-MAD/BCN-ORD. Our plan was to fly into Madrid, take the train to Granada/Malaga and spend a few days there, and then fly or train to Barcelona and spend a time there.

Any recommendations on how many days would we need to spend in Granada or Malaga (and which one is better?). My wife heard from family that Granada is amazing, but we are open to other ideas, Seville/Valencia/Malaga, we are open. What do you guys recommend? Also, any recommendations regarding trains from Madrid to the above destinations?

Please base your recommendations for someone who will be 5 months pregnant at that time
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:12 am

Programs: Miles&More IHG
Sevilla most definitely.

For train.. check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVE
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by TravelDoorsOut
Anything warm you guys recommend that will be doible in 9 days and will give us some culture/beach?
Bali will be your friend in February

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.