Wiki Posts
Search

VAT Refund at Schiphol

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
VAT Refund at Schiphol

I will be in Amsterdam for a day (Dec 10, 2016). While there, I will be ordering some custom made suits. I'll be picking up the completed suits on January 29, 2017 when I'm back again in Amsterdam. Do you think I can get my VAT refund when I leave Amsterdam (for the US) on Dec 11? Or should I get the VAT refund on Jan 30 when I leave Amsterdam after picking up the suits?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by BlindPilot
I will be in Amsterdam for a day (Dec 10, 2016). While there, I will be ordering some custom made suits. I'll be picking up the completed suits on January 29, 2017 when I'm back again in Amsterdam. Do you think I can get my VAT refund when I leave Amsterdam (for the US) on Dec 11? Or should I get the VAT refund on Jan 30 when I leave Amsterdam after picking up the suits?
You can get your refund after paying the bill; it's up to you.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I believe you also need to present the goods to the customs officer, so you may only be able to do this on the 30th.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 2:14 pm

Officially you can only get a VAT refund when you take the items with you outside the EU, to enforce that the customs officer may ask you to show the items (along with your passport and ticket/boarding pass), so there is no point in trying before you actually have them with you. (though there is always a chance you will not be asked to show them)

For the same reason, make sure you go to get the customs stamp before you drop your luggage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.