Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Visa needed to transit in Europe (2 separate itineraries)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP

I recently booked a trip for my wife and myself from CDG>HKT>FCO, but she doesn't have an EU visa (she's a ukrainian citizen with a US green card).
She's had valid EU visas in the past, but after waiting over a month for an appointment to the Italian consulate they haven't issued a visa and are making somewhat insane demands (essentially demanding paperwork that will be a complete headache to provide). Our backup is the Greek consulate, but I'm worried that might not work and we only have 3 weeks until the trip.

To keep a long story short, can I book a ticket say NYC>CDG to connect the 2 itineraries without her needing a visa? Essentially what would happen is we'd fly NYC>CDG>HKT, and on the return we'd just fly HKT>FCO>IST>NYC. If the bags need to be rechecked I can do it so that's not a worry, but will she be allowed boarding without an EU visa?
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by kmzandrew
I recently booked a trip for my wife and myself from CDG>HKT>FCO, but she doesn't have an EU visa (she's a ukrainian citizen with a US green card).
She's had valid EU visas in the past, but after waiting over a month for an appointment to the Italian consulate they haven't issued a visa and are making somewhat insane demands (essentially demanding paperwork that will be a complete headache to provide). Our backup is the Greek consulate, but I'm worried that might not work and we only have 3 weeks until the trip.

To keep a long story short, can I book a ticket say NYC>CDG to connect the 2 itineraries without her needing a visa? Essentially what would happen is we'd fly NYC>CDG>HKT, and on the return we'd just fly HKT>FCO>IST>NYC. If the bags need to be rechecked I can do it so that's not a worry, but will she be allowed boarding without an EU visa?
There's a good chance that she may not be allowed to board. That would really depend on the airline and the airline's reps, but it's within their rights to not allow her to board. You can also try the French consulate.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

You should have used the French consulate. But at this point, visa shopping across Schengen countries could well be counterproductive, given the use of information systems.

Given you are dealing with two didferent airline reps in order to try to pull this off, the trip has at least two chances of having a problem.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
You should have used the French consulate. But at this point, visa shopping across Schengen countries could well be counterproductive, given the use of information systems.

Given you are dealing with two didferent airline reps in order to try to pull this off, the trip has at least two chances of having a problem.
That's unfortunate although I don't think the info was shared. They didn't even want to process the information even though I showed bank statements in the high 5 figures. My wife is a homemaker and I'm self employed and they essentially demanded our entire financial history for the last 2 years (which is something we've never had an issue to before as we've already gotten multiple schengen visas in the past).

One more question, would booking on codeshare partners ensure that they allow boarding? For example AA from NYC>CDG since the CDG>HKT is on EY. My biggest concern is just getting us to HKT. If we lose the return that's not such a biggie as I can get us a ticket on miles from HKT>NYC, but I'd hate to lose the entire trip because we couldn't get a schengen visa.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL,UA,AA,F9,NK,B6
Good thing there is going to be no flight within the Schengen zone, which would otherwise require the visa.

CDG does have a transit zone, so no need in the visa for flying NYC>CDG>HKT.

Call FCO and make sure whether they have the transit zone as well. If they do which is more than likely, no visa for flying HKT>FCO>IST>NYC either, because Ukrainians don't need a visa for the transit in Turkey.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
The problem is not the presence of a transit zone. In both cases there is one and she won't need a Schengen visa to transit. The problem is that this is on 2 separate tickets, and the first airline may not let her board.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:16 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by Palal
The problem is not the presence of a transit zone. In both cases there is one and she won't need a Schengen visa to transit. The problem is that this is on 2 separate tickets, and the first airline may not let her board.
👍
What if the second flight is cancelled last minute and you get rerouted involving a Schengen segment? Or you would have to stay airside maybe overnight until you get a replacement flight ...
Old Nov 12, 2016, 5:18 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by mandrivnyk
...so no need in the visa for flying NYC>CDG>HKT.
But the airline of the first leg doesn't know that. OP's +1 will be redflagged at the check-in for not having a visa to go landside at the final destination of the ticket (CDG).

Showing a connecting ticket to HKT (via AUH (since they are flying EY)) might get her to board the flight. The airline rep might decide otherwise, so there's inherently a high risk involved in the plan.

Furthermore the plans hinges on the question whether the second airline lets OP check-in all the baggage or not. Depending on travel class and FFS, he may be able to just check all the bags in his name and +1 makes an OLCI/ goes to the airside transit desk.

Originally Posted by MarLim
What if the second flight is cancelled last minute and you get rerouted involving a Schengen segment? Or you would have to stay airside maybe overnight until you get a replacement flight ...
That's another problem altogether. A lot of itineraries are sold as one ticket and rely on a visa-free transit and there isn't a plan B in case something goes wrong. Same goes for inflight incidents that require landing at an alternate in another nation (which is why EL AL avoids flying over any Muslim country).
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
That's another problem altogether. A lot of itineraries are sold as one ticket and rely on a visa-free transit and there isn't a plan B in case something goes wrong. Same goes for inflight incidents that require landing at an alternate in another nation (which is why EL AL avoids flying over any Muslim country).
Yes, but if this is booked on one ticket... the airline is responsible to take care of PAX, whether it is by putting them on the next flight, or arranging a "transit visa" for them to go land side to a hotel etc.

In the case of 2 tickets, let's take an example scenario that the first flight is delayed and the second is therefore missed, what is PAX meant to do? Probably present themselves to immigration who will deport her back to the country or origin, on the expanse of airline 1...
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
In the case of 2 tickets, let's take an example scenario that the first flight is delayed and the second is therefore missed, ...
which is another scenario than the one used by MarLim. If the second flight gets canceled, it's the airlines problem, if they can't reroute via a Schengen flight.

That said, I wouldn't travel on two tickets while staying airside, as it inherently means that the time span between both flights is very short. With the trip apparently being in 3 weeks, I can see a lot going wrong. It wouldn't surprise me if there heavy snowfalls by then.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:55 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Check-in agent at NYC will likely deny boarding. Agent will not want to be in situation where CDG sends passenger back to NYC and having to explain to their supervisor why passenger was even boarded in NYC in the first place.

"Passenger showed me piece of paper with 2nd itin" would not be a good excuse for that check-in agent at NYC.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

So I've done a bit of research as the responses here have been quite worrisome and I've come up with the following plan...

AA has a policy that they will treat 2 separate itineraries as 1 if they are both on one world. Etihad isn't OW so that may be a problem, but what if I booked a "shill ticket say from CDG>XYZ on Qatar which is. Then I'd have 2 itineraries, but since they'd be one world they should allow boarding as AA would consider it 1. If I book on miles I can just cancel the ticket upon boarding and check the bags myself so she won't have bags going to XYZ on Qatar (on a flight that we'd cancel).

It's not ideal as CDG doesn't have many OW partners. Had it been LON I could have just booked an onward ticket to Kiev and probably not had issues, but from CDG I have to book an onward ticket to something a bit more exotic like MLE.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:30 pm

AA has a policy that they will treat 2 separate itineraries as 1 if they are both on one world. Etihad isn't OW so that may be a problem, but what if I booked a "shill ticket say from CDG>XYZ on Qatar which is.
The problem still is that you have to meet the an airline rep that knows his policies. If he doesn't, he might still refuse you. And you have to pick a destination, where your +1 can enter without visa.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Smile

So I've done a bit of research as the responses here have been quite worrisome and I've come up with the following plan...

AA has a policy that they will treat 2 separate itineraries as 1 if they are both on one world. Etihad isn't OW so that may be a problem, but what if I booked a "shill ticket say from CDG>XYZ on Qatar which is. Then I'd have 2 itineraries, but since they'd be one world they should allow boarding as AA would consider it 1. If I book on miles I can just cancel the ticket upon boarding and check the bags myself so she won't have bags going to XYZ on Qatar (on a flight that we'd cancel).

It's not ideal as CDG doesn't have many OW partners. Had it been LON I could have just booked an onward ticket to Kiev and probably not had issues, but from CDG I have to book an onward ticket to something a bit more exotic like MLE.
I think you are misinterpreting AA policy concerning separate OW itin policy. It is to treat as one itin for misconnection purposes.

While passenger does not need a transit visa, you may want to get to NYC airport earlier in case you need to convince AA that passenger qualifies for TVOW as you are not leaving CDG airside. Best bet of course is to get a transit visa.

Last edited by seawolf; Nov 12, 2016 at 3:29 pm
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Your wife does not need a visa to connect at FCO or CDG. She needs a visa to enter the Schengen zone, which she won't be doing. Your onward tickets/boarding passes will be sufficient to prove to the first airline that you'll be in transit. You'd have run into problems with a low cost carrier but since your first carrier will be AA you should not have any problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.